U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,213,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Austin, Texas, baby.
But the Austin forum folks here are always pointing out that the "cool, urban" places to live are some of the most expensive rents and real estate in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 11:42 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,759,815 times
You can get a relatively cheap room or studio in Mid-City or Downtown New Orleans. Maybe even Uptown.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:55 PM

37 posts, read 71,710 times
Why not make a decent living in a not so hip city rather that slave wages in a hip city. Is this really a requirement for people who barely manage to make a living ?

Old 05-27-2013, 05:16 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,627,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
STL (and Cleveland and Detroit) are so cheap that the fact that Minneapolis is (arguably) more urban than STL has to technically fall a few notches. Otherwise I'd have Minny at #2, but based on how I ranked them I couldn't put it there. It's also where I'd go to live regardless of my financial situation, so I'm TRYING to not be biased.
I don't think Minneapolis is as urban as Detroit or Cleveland, so it definitely isn't more urban than St. Louis. Minneapolis is obviously more vibrant and seeing a lot more construction, but in all honesty Minneapolis is probably the 5th and 6th most urban city in the Midwest on a neighborhood level. I would say that Chicago, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Detroit, and Cleveland have better urban bones than the Twin Cities. At their peak populations all of these cities were considerably more dense than Minneapolis and it shows. I will give Minneapolis credit for being progressive and remaining extremely stable in comparison, but a lot of that is related to demographics. Minneapolis is a little too far removed from the traditional American manufacturing belt to really be comparable, it was never a great migration city for African Americans, was never truly as invested in heavy manufacturing, didn't have the large crowded slums etc. Truth be told Minneapolis of today is much more of a new economy city like Denver or even Columbus, despite its past as a mill city.

Last edited by goat314; 05-27-2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 05:29 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,013,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I would say that Chicago, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Detroit, and Cleveland have better urban bones than the Twin Cities.
Not to nit pick here, but after NYC and San Francisco, Chicago probably has the best urbanity of any city in the US (and in some large areas it is better than SF)...closely behind is Boston, DC, and Philly although some could make the case for a "tie." Those cities are not anywhere near as urban/walkable/whatever as Chicago on a grand scale.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:45 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,627,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Not to nit pick here, but after NYC and San Francisco, Chicago probably has the best urbanity of any city in the US (and in some large areas it is better than SF)...closely behind is Boston, DC, and Philly although some could make the case for a "tie." Those cities are not anywhere near as urban/walkable/whatever as Chicago on a grand scale.
That's pretty obvious. I was just listing all of the Midwestern cities that have more urban bones than Minneapolis.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:19 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,054,646 times
A lot of the cities that are being suggested are cheap and may have good urban bones but none of them have the same sort of creative communities that San Francisco and New York had before they went through wholesale gentrification. If you want that I think the best choices are Philly, Chicago, Minneapolis and Portland. Maybe those are the usual suspects, but it is because it is true. In terms of building large communities of creative types the other cities are still at the aspirational level (or gentrified past their prime like Seattle and Austin).

Old 05-28-2013, 07:41 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,315,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I don't think Minneapolis is as urban as Detroit or Cleveland, so it definitely isn't more urban than St. Louis. Minneapolis is obviously more vibrant and seeing a lot more construction, but in all honesty Minneapolis is probably the 5th and 6th most urban city in the Midwest on a neighborhood level. I would say that Chicago, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Detroit, and Cleveland have better urban bones than the Twin Cities. At their peak populations all of these cities were considerably more dense than Minneapolis and it shows. I will give Minneapolis credit for being progressive and remaining extremely stable in comparison, but a lot of that is related to demographics. Minneapolis is a little too far removed from the traditional American manufacturing belt to really be comparable, it was never a great migration city for African Americans, was never truly as invested in heavy manufacturing, didn't have the large crowded slums etc. Truth be told Minneapolis of today is much more of a new economy city like Denver or even Columbus, despite its past as a mill city.
I tend to agree, and was really just trying to make a point with the other poster.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,315,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I'm one of the few (apparently) who think Chicago is more urban than SF. Not its surburbs necessarily, but city vs. city I do. Remember folks, SF is about 50 square miles in size, and Chicago is about 275. Take the most core 50 square miles of Chicago and compare it to SF and you have an apples-to-apples comparison.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
The point is the OP is looking for a place where he can live comfortably on $11 an hour. Mentions of cities like Philly or Chicago don't meet that criteria, despite any perceived urban lifestyle advantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or