U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:55 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,115,020 times

Advertisements

Austin, Dallas, & Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 09:38 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,195,305 times
Colorado: Boulder, Golden & Durango in no particular order.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:11 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,109,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Besides NYC, I'd say that Ithaca, New Paltz, Saratoga Springs and certain parts of Upstate NY cities(Allentown and Elmwood Village in Buffalo, Park Ave and SouthWedge in Rochester, Armory Square(Downtown) and maybe Westcott in Syracuse, Center Square/Lark Street in Albany, Downtown Troy, Washington Street in Binghamton, etc).
From experience, definitely not Saratoga Springs. Probably not anywhere in Rochester or Syracuse, although I reserve the right to be proven wrong. Allentown here in Buffalo is probably one of the more underrated cool districts in the nation, sad as that may seem to me (given that I wish for more like it). Ithaca to an extent; NYC, I need to investigate Brooklyn before I make my judgment call. NYC's definitely not qualifying based on the parts of Manhattan I've encountered; the idea of cool/hip there is based far too much on appearances/conformity to/with Madison Avenue's idea of glamour. Also, I've never seen smartphones used with such frequency as when I spent a couple nights in Manhattan...at the expense of authentic, spontaneous human communication, of course. I hear good things about Astoria (Queens) however, so I'll attach that to the Brooklyn-based itinerary for next NYC trip...actually, I was supposed to get to NYC this weekend for the World Science Festival (which is sadly Manhattan-based), but that might not happen, so my more well-rounded judgment on NYC's coolness might have to be withheld for a while longer

Old 05-28-2013, 07:28 AM

56,656 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
From experience, definitely not Saratoga Springs. Probably not anywhere in Rochester or Syracuse, although I reserve the right to be proven wrong. Allentown here in Buffalo is probably one of the more underrated cool districts in the nation, sad as that may seem to me (given that I wish for more like it). Ithaca to an extent; NYC, I need to investigate Brooklyn before I make my judgment call. NYC's definitely not qualifying based on the parts of Manhattan I've encountered; the idea of cool/hip there is based far too much on appearances/conformity to/with Madison Avenue's idea of glamour. Also, I've never seen smartphones used with such frequency as when I spent a couple nights in Manhattan...at the expense of authentic, spontaneous human communication, of course. I hear good things about Astoria (Queens) however, so I'll attach that to the Brooklyn-based itinerary for next NYC trip...actually, I was supposed to get to NYC this weekend for the World Science Festival (which is sadly Manhattan-based), but that might not happen, so my more well-rounded judgment on NYC's coolness might have to be withheld for a while longer
Yeah, if you have any time and want to take a short trip, check out pretty much the Southeastern neighborhoods in Rochester or Armory Square or Westcott in Syracuse.

Westcott is similar to Allentown, with the somewhat hippy vibe, a variety of restaurants, a lounge and neighborhood bar, the Westcott Theater(which have live bands/shows) and it is close to Syracuse University. Armory Square is in Downtown Syracuse and has clubs, restaurants/bars, shops/stores, the MOST with its IMAX Theater, a couple of cafes and some live music at some of the spots there.

Park Ave in Rochester is more like Elmwood Village and South Wedge is more like Allentown. Also, some of the other SE Rochester neighborhoods(Swillburg, Monroe Ave, etc.) are like North Buffalo.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 AM

3,029 posts, read 2,465,016 times
For Michigan, the coolest/hippest place I've been has easily been downtown Detroit. Most people are too scurred to go there, however, so they end up thinking it's Ann Arbor (if they're intellectual,) Grand Rapids (if they're from the west side of the state,) or possibly Kalamazoo (because that's where Bell's Brewery is and widely available microbrews make a place cool/hip.)

Old 05-28-2013, 12:23 PM

35 posts, read 48,154 times
I've never been there but from what I've heard... San Francisco

Old 05-29-2013, 06:46 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,269,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
San Diego for sure. Most everyone loves it when they come to visit. The weather, the beaches, the scenery, the attractions, the food and the people.
What about Los Angeles?

Old 05-29-2013, 06:56 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,988,840 times
For Maryland....I would think possibly downtown Bethesda. Maybe a few select neighborhoods in Baltimore as well.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:21 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,764,670 times
Hunh? I thought Takoma Park was the hippie capital of MD suburbs and Bethesda was rich establishment folks.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,048,482 times
Nothing cool or hip about Oklahoma. The closest you can get is probably the Blue Dome district in Tulsa. That is still a LONG ways from Portland or Austin.

In North Carolina, I would probably say NoDA, Plaza Midwood, and Dilworth are the cool/hip places in Charlotte. Asheville however takes the case as the coolest and hippest place in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.