Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 09:33 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,879,161 times

Advertisements

I find this old thread ( 7 years ) even more interesting than it was back then. Maybe today all thats been said has magnified a bit , or a lot ! You know , Climate Change at its best ? LOL

In reality I doubt even icebergs in June is enough to convince anyone that their city has changed in a definite way. This could not be more true than here in Marquette. Its been a long while since Lake Superior has frozen over completely, even longer when you could not put your boat in the water for fear of hitting an ice flow, especially on Memorial Weekend !

For all the press we get here these days, Marquette has become famous, at lest on the Weather Channel , once a day or more. This winter the WC even dispatched a reporter to our fair city to see what all the talk was about. Much of the debate as to which city has the most snow can now be extended to which city has the longest winter, and the longest amount of time without the temps going below 32 F . For us it was 73 days this winter, an all time record, and that was a larger factor in the big Lake freezing over than any record snowfall as the first snowfall in November was still on the ground in March....in Marquette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 09:59 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,604,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
According to accuweather, the average high in July for Des Moines, IA is 86 degrees. That means a lot of days are hotter. And it's way humid there. The OP needs to get on some weather sites.
Weather sites are useless. You have to go there and see. A weather site can say two places have exactly the same readings, but they will actually have a completely different climatic feel.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 AM

986 posts, read 1,851,729 times
Always found the summers in Keene, New Hampshire to be beautiful. Not too hot.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:04 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,155,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
The plains have huge temperature swings. The Great Lakes moderate the effect for the region east of Lake Michigan.
This is a common misconception. I live in Milwaukee right by Lake Michigan (WEST of the Lake) and work 15 miles inland. Both city and "by the Lake" temperatures are reported in local weather reports, because it's often quite a difference. Already this year there have been 20 degree temperature differences between when I leave in the morning and when I arrive 20 minutes later on the west side of town. One of the coolest summer areas you can live in Wisconsin is near the Lake in Milwaukee County, and the hottest county in the entire state is Waukesha, its western neighbor.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:36 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,353,042 times
Beantown

Old 06-09-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
This is a common misconception. I live in Milwaukee right by Lake Michigan (WEST of the Lake) and work 15 miles inland. Both city and "by the Lake" temperatures are reported in local weather reports, because it's often quite a difference. Already this year there have been 20 degree temperature differences between when I leave in the morning and when I arrive 20 minutes later on the west side of town. One of the coolest summer areas you can live in Wisconsin is near the Lake in Milwaukee County, and the hottest county in the entire state is Waukesha, its western neighbor.
You just agreed with the"misconception"....and rightly so, the big lakes DO moderate the temps a lot., especially if you are close. One of the problems with Wisconsin however is weather moves west to east, and North to southeast. All of the State is before Lake Michigan., so its western lower Michigan that gets the effects as they are onshore weather directly. There will always be moderation near any large body of water however regardless where the weather comes from, but not nearly as much as places where the winds are mostly onshore.

There is no better example than in the UP, where we are surrounded by both Lake Superior and Lake Michigan and Huron too. Marquette is the snow capital of the Country, but usually our temps near the Lake rarely drop below 15-20 degrees. in the coldest months.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You just agreed with the"misconception"....and rightly so
No I didn't, you just did. The misconception (which I put right in the quote) was that only the lands EAST of Lake Michigan are moderated by it, and that's proveably false. Right now it's 72 where I work and 61 at my house; in Grand Haven, MI (right across the lake) it's currently 75 degrees, and in Coopersville (16 miles inland) it's 76. It's different depending on the day, but the west side of Lake Michigan does not in fact exhibit special summer cooling characteristics that aren't present on the east side - absolutely false. And I grew up in northern Door County WI, which has more temperate year-round conditions than anywhere along Lake Superior. I realize you feel that your area is somehow special, but there are spots along every Great Lake, regardless of the direction they lie, that are strongly affected by the lake's proximity.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
No I didn't, you just did. The misconception (which I put right in the quote) was that only the lands EAST of Lake Michigan are moderated by it, and that's proveably false. Right now it's 72 where I work and 61 at my house; in Grand Haven, MI (right across the lake) it's currently 75 degrees, and in Coopersville (16 miles inland) it's 76. It's different depending on the day, but the west side of Lake Michigan does not in fact exhibit special summer cooling characteristics that aren't present on the east side - absolutely false. And I grew up in northern Door County WI, which has more temperate year-round conditions than anywhere along Lake Superior. I realize you feel that your area is somehow special, but there are spots along every Great Lake, regardless of the direction they lie, that are strongly affected by the lake's proximity.
OK , then why is Wisconsin always colder than Michigan ? Why does Wisc. have more sunshine in winter than say Grand Rapids ? I lived in South Haven, Mi. for 5 years , always cloudy and damp in winter months....not so up here in the UP. Same apply s up here on Lake Superior ( Largest freshwater by volume lake in the world ) , its always colder in Green Bay than it is in Marquette in winter. Yes , it gets cold interior UP as well , but your fair state gets the trophy ! If you do not think such a large body of water like Superior effects weather , then , you have NOT been doing your homework. Marquette will match any place in Wisconsin for snowfall and then add another 100 inches or more, maybe 200 inches. Can you match that ?

Old 06-09-2014, 04:41 PM

5,251 posts, read 5,964,408 times
Anyone who says that the lake doesn't have an impact on temps and weather needs to do some fact checking. In the winter Grand Rapids is often 15-20 degrees warmer than Milwaukee, and it absolutely gets double the snow. In the summer It can be 68 degrees on the lakeshore and 80 degrees 25 miles inland in GR. Better summer weather, warmer winter temps, but with the lake acting as a Giant cloud machine making it one of the cloudiest winter spots possibly in the country.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
OK , then why is Wisconsin always colder than Michigan ? Why does Wisc. have more sunshine in winter than say Grand Rapids ? I lived in South Haven, Mi. for 5 years , always cloudy and damp in winter months....not so up here in the UP. Same apply s up here on Lake Superior ( Largest freshwater by volume lake in the world ) , its always colder in Green Bay than it is in Marquette in winter. Yes , it gets cold interior UP as well , but your fair state gets the trophy ! If you do not think such a large body of water like Superior effects weather , then , you have NOT been doing your homework. Marquette will match any place in Wisconsin for snowfall and then add another 100 inches or more, maybe 200 inches. Can you match that ?
You do realize that Wisconsin also borders Lake Superior, right? I'm quite familiar with the lake, and have spent a lot of time in the UP.

Green Bay is not on Lake Michigan, it's on the furthest base of an inlet (Green Bay) that does not affect temperature as much as the Lake. I know this because I grew up in Door County on the Bay side, and they had more snow and more moderate temperatures only 4 miles accross the peninsula on the Lake. Additionally, Lake Superior is enormous and much colder than Lake Michigan, so it affects weather more greatly. Further, Marquette is hours north of Green Bay, which as hopefully you know, the further north you go, the colder it is. You are comparing apples to oranges here, clearly.

To find out if Lake Michigan affects the coastal weather on the East side, but not the West as you proposed, compare Sheboygan, WI, with its closest neighbor to the east, Ludington, MI (Sheboygan is a bit south of Ludington, but we'll give you that).

Average high:

Month Sheb Lud
June: 76 - 77
July: 81 - 81
Aug: 80 - 79
Sept: 72 - 71

So you see, it's practically identical. Like I said, this is a common misconception amongst Michiganders, for whatever reason. Another common one: "there isn't any sand on that side," when nearly the entire Western coast is sandy (there just aren't the Sleepy Bear dunes or anything of that scale, but those are the world's largest freshwater dunes, so nowhere else sizes up on that scale).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.