Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
I have to disagree with you there. St. Louis was SUPER hot and humid when I was there in the summer. You're just used to it...

The humidity is the worst, because it's in the river valley of the missouri and mississippi. The temperature added with the heat index (how how it feels) was consecutively over 100 and/or upper 90s for a few weeks straight. St. Louis is HOT in the summer.

Do a poll on this and I guarantee you the majority of people in your city will say it is hot and humid in the summer. Maybe not much as houston, but almost up there...
They'll say it's hot and humid, but not to the degree of places like Houston, Tulsa, Memphis, or Phoenix. The average high temperature in August historically has been about 88 degrees fahrenheit, and July the average high is about 89 degrees fahrenheit. Memphis in July has an average of 92 degrees and in August an average of 91 degrees. Indy is has an average high in July of 86 degrees fahrenheit, and in August an average high of about 84 degrees fahrenheit. Chicago's average high July temperature is about 84 degrees fahrenheit, in August it's about 81 degrees fahrenheit. So overall, when looking at something like this St. Louis doesn't look that bad. Houston, by comparison, has an average of between 93 and 94 degrees fahrenheit over both July and August. St. Louis has a summer that is probably about the averaged temperature of all summers averaged out in the United States. And Chicago has gotten a number of heat waves over the past few years, so anything St. Louis has gone through shouldn't be something that no Chicagoan has ever felt before.

Last edited by ajf131; 11-05-2007 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 05:11 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
I have to disagree with you there. St. Louis was SUPER hot and humid when I was there in the summer. You're just used to it...

The humidity is the worst, because it's in the river valley of the missouri and mississippi. The temperature added with the heat index (how how it feels) was consecutively over 100 and/or upper 90s for a few weeks straight. St. Louis is HOT in the summer.

Do a poll on this and I guarantee you the majority of people in your city will say it is hot and humid in the summer. Maybe not much as houston, but almost up there...
Are you kidding me? Used to it? I'm not used to the temperatures we had last summer at all. Many people I grew up with here were complaining about how excessively hot it was. St. Louis does not typically get temperatures like that for a few weeks straight..maybe for a few days, not a few weeks...the summers here have a wider variety of temperatures than any other place in the U.S. I would say. But temperatures in the upper 90s and 100s are not common at all for here. You can't base anything you've experienced in St. Louis during a given summer as what a typical summer here is like...every summer here is different.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:42 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
Michigan is the state to be... Detroit can get pretty hot ( Dont look at Detroit as a crime city, there are many top educated areas outside Detroit, like Farmington Hills.) I would recomand you to look into East Lansing, Michigan.. Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Traverse City and the west coast line of Michigan. As for now Michigan economy isnt so well, so home prices wouldnt be a struggle. Look into Michigan are summers are just right... and we get lake effect snow ( Marquette Michigan may see a foot of snow as of Nov6, 07.) I live and Michigan and love it here, I always thought of Colorado until I read the post about it on city-data. So if I was you I would re-think Colorado agian.
I do miss the Michigan summers.

An ideal summer day for me: 78 degrees, clear skies, and a glass of lemonade.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:20 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
Great Lake States are hot and humid in the summers.

Denver would probably be better than a city like Chicago or the Twin Cities (where 90 degrees and full humidity is the norm...).

Old 11-06-2007, 09:27 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Great Lake States are hot and humid in the summers.

Denver would probably be better than a city like Chicago or the Twin Cities (where 90 degrees and full humidity is the norm...).
Thats absurd! It CAN get humid here, but not too often. We might end up with 3-4 weeks of high humidity at most during the summer, and thats spread out from May until early October and a day or two here and there, not constant. Usually its only a few days, then it cools off and dries out nicely. And 90 degrees here is quite rare (maybe 3-4 days a year like that), and its never been 90 degrees with "full humidity" (I assume you mean 100%). I think the most humidity I ever saw when it was 90 degrees was 45%, which was extremely sticky feeling.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:29 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthebay View Post
Any ideas... We have thought about Denver and its still number one on top of our minds but the summer is our only kind of concern....
Albuquerque would probably fit that bill. Great weather.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats absurd! It CAN get humid here, but not too often. We might end up with 3-4 weeks of high humidity at most during the summer, and thats spread out from May until early October and a day or two here and there, not constant. Usually its only a few days, then it cools off and dries out nicely. And 90 degrees here is quite rare (maybe 3-4 days a year like that), and its never been 90 degrees with "full humidity" (I assume you mean 100%). I think the most humidity I ever saw when it was 90 degrees was 45%, which was extremely sticky feeling.
The further away from big water you get, the worse it will be ( unless you have elevation ).......not much of That,..... in the Midwest.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:34 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The further away from big water you get, the worse it will be ( unless you have elevation ).......not much of That,..... in the Midwest.
True, but Im tired of people thinking Chicago and MPLS are frickin Miami or Memphis or Savannah in the summer. If they were, I wouldnt nor couldnt live there, thats just too humid for my tastes.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:41 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
True, but Im tired of people thinking Chicago and MPLS are frickin Miami or Memphis or Savannah in the summer. If they were, I wouldnt nor couldnt live there, thats just too humid for my tastes.
Those who live in the southern humid places , do , get used to it. They live with the humidity year round , be it worse in the summer , a time of year they all stay inside , and turn up the AC........not a lifestyle I could tolerate for long ether.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:25 AM

395 posts, read 1,375,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Are you kidding me? Used to it? I'm not used to the temperatures we had last summer at all. Many people I grew up with here were complaining about how excessively hot it was. St. Louis does not typically get temperatures like that for a few weeks straight..maybe for a few days, not a few weeks...the summers here have a wider variety of temperatures than any other place in the U.S. I would say. But temperatures in the upper 90s and 100s are not common at all for here. You can't base anything you've experienced in St. Louis during a given summer as what a typical summer here is like...every summer here is different.

I don't understand your obsession of trying to make st. louis fit in with other northern cities. IT"S NOT NORTHERN. It can be considered in the subtropical climate zone (look it up in wikipedia). It's not a bad thing either! I have family in st. louis like a lot of people in Chicago, and they all say it's super hot in the summer. Everyone knows st. louis is super hot and humid! It's freaking known for that up here...

Why are you trying so hard to combat the stereotypes of stl when they're plain out true?? True, you can look at the stats of averages, but those averages say NOTHING close to what the truth is IMO, and they exclude the heat index of what it really feels like. Everytime I've been down in st. louis, the weatherman was ALWAYS wrong on the high temp, always warmer than the prediction. He says 89, it ends up being 93 with a heat index of 98.

It's been HOT every summer I go down there. EVERY summer and do the float trip things. I've been going down there for almost every year. My judgement is not just based on ONE summer either. I just don't understand your obsession with making st. louis fit into something it's not. Just accept the way your city is!

Btw, ive never talked to someone from st. louis with such a passion of trying to make it "northern" when it clearly isn't. Most of my st. louis friends are proud its a border city and accept and enjoy the fact that its HOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.