U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2013, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,225,932 times
Reputation: 998

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Oklahoma is like West Virginia; it doesn't belong to one region of the country entirely. South of I-44 and east of U.S. 75, Oklahoma becomes more like the Mid-South. West of U.S. 81, it becomes gradually more like the West. The rest of the state is most like the Lower Midwest/Great Plains.
South of I-44? I think not. Southern culture, dialect, and demographics dominate the state on both sides of I-44. West Virginia also is a majority Southern state, even if not all of it is the South. Oklahoma is not the Lower Midwest. Tulsa and OKC have nothing in common with Kansas City, Topeka, St. Louis, Cincinnati, or Indianapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2013, 01:18 PM
 
6,127 posts, read 6,442,655 times
Reputation: 6543
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Just because it's not green, it can't be the Midwest? That's like saying just because Oklahoma and Texas are treeless prairie, they cant' be Southern. Based on one characteristic you think it's not the Midwest. Just when you can't jump to conclusions any quicker
Based on the fact that I LIVE in Rapid City, I am saying it's not Midwestern. It feels more West than Midwest. The climate is different, it is drier, it is ranching country rather than farmland. I moved here from Omaha, so I kind of know what I'm talking about. Once you cross the Missouri river, you start to feel like you've left the Midwest behind.

The OP stated they want a city that's fairly big and green. That is not Rapid City. Yes there is greenery, but it's not as prevalent and lush as Midwestern areas. It can get very dry here and we are prone to wildfires. It is a pretty isolated area. The closest big city is Denver, and that's roughly a six hour drive. It is not easy or cheap to fly in and out of this area. However, the outdoor activities and scenery are great and it's quite a pleasant place to live. I'm just not sure its what the OP is looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Mahoning Valley, Ohio
416 posts, read 570,306 times
Reputation: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Based on the fact that I LIVE in Rapid City, I am saying it's not Midwestern. It feels more West than Midwest. The climate is different, it is drier, it is ranching country rather than farmland. I moved here from Omaha, so I kind of know what I'm talking about. Once you cross the Missouri river, you start to feel like you've left the Midwest behind.

The OP stated they want a city that's fairly big and green. That is not Rapid City. Yes there is greenery, but it's not as prevalent and lush as Midwestern areas. It can get very dry here and we are prone to wildfires. It is a pretty isolated area. The closest big city is Denver, and that's roughly a six hour drive. It is not easy or cheap to fly in and out of this area. However, the outdoor activities and scenery are great and it's quite a pleasant place to live. I'm just not sure its what the OP is looking for.
I agree with you. You have to look past the fact that if it's not like how he sees it, you're wrong. Had to hear how Cleveland has more in common with Fargo, North Dakota than Buffalo, New York (which Buffalo and Cleveland could be siblings). Cleveland is the boundary between the Northeast and Midwest and holds traits of both... it is hard for a certain poster to wrap that around their head. Just like Rapid City has characteristics of the Midwest and West, and if it feels more western to you, that's completely legit; at least you lived there and know otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,225,932 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
I agree with you. You have to look past the fact that if it's not like how he sees it, you're wrong. Had to hear how Cleveland has more in common with Fargo, North Dakota than Buffalo, New York (which Buffalo and Cleveland could be siblings). Cleveland is the boundary between the Northeast and Midwest and holds traits of both... it is hard for a certain poster to wrap that around their head. Just like Rapid City has characteristics of the Midwest and West, and if it feels more western to you, that's completely legit; at least you lived there and know otherwise.
Ah, I see, now you're trolling. so I have to be wrong all the time. Buzz off...nobody invited you to this party. You are on some high end mission to make Cleveland not at all Midwestern and purely Northeastern, in with the Bos-Wash. So don't tell me about Fargo-Cleveland comparisons when your best case is grouping Cleveland with cities that are at best borderline-Northeastern. And you also go on to say that Cleveland is nothing like Detroit or Chicago...it's an endless swamp of b/s.

And if her opinion is different from mine, I'm supposed to think she's right? You live in a warped world. Good-bye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Mahoning Valley, Ohio
416 posts, read 570,306 times
Reputation: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Ah, I see, now you're trolling. so I have to be wrong all the time. Buzz off...nobody invited you to this party. You are on some high end mission to make Cleveland not at all Midwestern and purely Northeastern, in with the Bos-Wash. So don't tell me about Fargo-Cleveland comparisons when your best case is grouping Cleveland with cities that are at best borderline-Northeastern. And you also go on to say that Cleveland is nothing like Detroit or Chicago...it's an endless swamp of b/s.

And if her opinion is different from mine, I'm supposed to think she's right? You live in a warped world. Good-bye.
How's that trolling? If you can't take part in the discussion, don't even bother replying, that would have helped you a long time ago. And you can't call people trolls, it's against the TOS. Not like you have any room to talk in that department.

Fargo and Cleveland? What are you smoking? Cleveland and Buffalo couldn't be more similar, but you're on some mission to paint it with a different brush that fits how your world should be. Nice try.

I never once said Cleveland didn't have anything in common with Chicago or Detroit, but it has far more in common with Buffalo. Fargo, though? HA!

I am not on any high mission, pal. You want to keep starting with me, I will continue.

Her opinion is completely justified. If someone doesn't hold YOUR opinion than they are WRONG. It doesn't quite work like that no matter how much you want it to. If my world is "warped" I certainly wouldn't want to live in yours. I can post where I like, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,225,932 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
How's that trolling? If you can't take part in the discussion, don't even bother replying, that would have helped you a long time ago. And you can't call people trolls, it's against the TOS. Not like you have any room to talk in that department.

Fargo and Cleveland? What are you smoking? Cleveland and Buffalo couldn't be more similar, but you're on some mission to paint it with a different brush that fits how your world should be. Nice try.

I never once said Cleveland didn't have anything in common with Chicago or Detroit, but it has far more in common with Buffalo. Fargo, though? HA!

I am not on any high mission, pal. You want to keep starting with me, I will continue.

Her opinion is completely justified. If someone doesn't hold YOUR opinion than they are WRONG. It doesn't quite work like that no matter how much you want it to. If my world is "warped" I certainly wouldn't want to live in yours. I can post where I like, thanks.
Then maybe you should've considered that when I disagreed with you. You couldn't leave it alone. You had to attack me. And you're deliberately stirring the pot just to get on my nerves. All I'm doing is laughing at you. You are so predictable its hilarious. LOL....my world is a much better place than your's...I have a well-paying job, I'm getting married in two months, and have great friends to support me. You should want my life. You know nothing about me...and you try to become an expert on my life. Somebody ought to realize that his insults are more a reflection of him than me. I'm better than this argument, so I'll just let you continue to spread rumors about me. I don't care what anybody thinks of me on here. And I'm also not getting banned over this. So have a good one having this fight on your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Mahoning Valley, Ohio
416 posts, read 570,306 times
Reputation: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Then maybe you should've considered that when I disagreed with you. You couldn't leave it alone. You had to attack me. And you're deliberately stirring the pot just to get on my nerves. All I'm doing is laughing at you. You are so predictable its hilarious. LOL....my world is a much better place than your's...I have a well-paying job, I'm getting married in two months, and have great friends to support me. You should want my life. You know nothing about me...and you try to become an expert on my life. Somebody ought to realize that his insults are more a reflection of him than me. I'm better than this argument, so I'll just let you continue to spread rumors about me. I don't care what anybody thinks of me on here. And I'm also not getting banned over this. So have a good one having this fight on your own.
I never attacked you, you started this. You could have ended it by just stopping. I enjoy discussions with you because you make it too easy, but to you they're arguments. You have continued, and even sent me something the other day, so don't act like you're innocent. You start problems with people all the time. There's not stirring the pot, it's adding to the discussion, and if it's something YOU don't like, you start causing problems. You have that attitude that it's not me, it's them. Again, wrong. I am predictable? Pot, meet kettle.

Sound familiar? From 5-25-13
Quote:
Hope that life in the so-called Northeast is treating you poorly.
I don't need your life. I am not on an internet forum everyday like yourself. I actually have a job and work. You're really going to sit there and act like you know people based off a forum? Nice one. I never once acted like an expert on your life, but read your post, that's how you sound all the time attacking people. You're proclaiming the very same thing in your actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,225,932 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
I never attacked you, you started this. You could have ended it by just stopping. I enjoy discussions with you because you make it too easy, but to you they're arguments. You have continued, and even sent me something the other day, so don't act like you're innocent. You start problems with people all the time. There's not stirring the pot, it's adding to the discussion, and if it's something YOU don't like, you start causing problems. You have that attitude that it's not me, it's them. Again, wrong. I am predictable? Pot, meet kettle.

Sound familiar? From 5-25-13


I don't need your life. I am not on an internet forum everyday like yourself. I actually have a job and work. You're really going to sit there and act like you know people based off a forum? Nice one. I never once acted like an expert on your life, but read your post, that's how you sound all the time attacking people. You're proclaiming the very same thing in your actions.
Good...if that's the case, we're both hypocrites, and you aren't any better than me. I make it easy? You should see it from my perspective...oh wait, you've decided your perspective trumps mine in all cases, so forget that offer. I am a state auditor for the state government, have my own place, and soon am about to share it with a great partner. If that's not work I don't know what you see as work. LOL. Ridiculous. You don't need my life? I sure don't need yours. Good-bye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Mahoning Valley, Ohio
416 posts, read 570,306 times
Reputation: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Good...if that's the case, we're both hypocrites, and you aren't any better than me. I make it easy? You should see it from my perspective...oh wait, you've decided your perspective trumps mine in all cases, so forget that offer. I am a state auditor for the state government, have my own place, and soon am about to share it with a great partner. If that's not work I don't know what you see as work. LOL. Ridiculous. You don't need my life? I sure don't need yours. Good-bye.
You're the one who makes all the accusations. You're the one who takes everything so personally. You're the one who attacks a poster every time they don't agree with you. Go back and read the threads you post in; you start something with everyone who disagrees with you.

You're going against what you say. You whined that I called you a hypocrite and said it was a personal attack, but yet here you are calling me one? I really don't need your life, nor would I want it judging by the type of person you are on here. You want to make assumptions? I can play that game too. You say good bye, but yet here you are continuing because I don't agree and see things the way you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,225,932 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
You're the one who makes all the accusations. You're the one who takes everything so personally. You're the one who attacks a poster every time they don't agree with you. Go back and read the threads you post in; you start something with everyone who disagrees with you.

You're going against what you say. You whined that I called you a hypocrite and said it was a personal attack, but yet here you are calling me one? I really don't need your life, nor would I want it judging by the type of person you are on here. You want to make assumptions? I can play that game too. You say good bye, but yet here you are continuing because I don't agree and see things the way you do.
You just always need the last word, don't you? Unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top