U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:49 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,764,670 times

Advertisements

Jtur, the OP wants to be near the beach so that will draw some tourists - though most of these towns/cities have their own identities above and beyond tourism.

Hate to burst your bubble but I stayed in Victoria once - OK it was on the way to Padre island but your motel got my dollars. On the way back we slept in Hope arkansas before it got famous.

BTW I second the suggestion of Corps Christi for an actual home - not just a vacation getaway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 09:10 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlNextNextDoor View Post
I don't care what state it's in. I just want a nice small town or city far away from all of the pretentiousness, the selfishness, and of course away from the "big city" people.

I've lived in New York all my life, and let me tell you the people really take a toll on you. I find myself wondering at night, why am I here? Why do I keep doing this to myself? I know I'm not enjoying this, so why do I even bother saying? Honestly it's because I'm obsessed with planning. I can't do something without knowing exactly how it will plan out, even if it doesn't end up the way I planned it. I'm constantly stressed out, and for some reason, planning puts me at ease.

At this point though, I'm going to end up killing someone if I stay in this city any longer. My issue is honestly I have no idea where to go. I had this dream the other day about this small town along the coastline. Life there was perfect. The people were so nice and nothing like the stereotypical New Yorker. I saw this guy and he kept repeating this word to me over and over, but as soon as I woke up I forgot what he kept repeating.

I know this perfect little town of mine seems ridiculous, but really I think it's my mind telling me it's time for me to just get away. I just wished I knew where to go.
Cape May, NJ. Quiet, historic, scenic, beautiful. Birdwatching, if you're into that. Biking, horse and buggy rides, a lighthouse on a stunning bay beach with great views and a sunken cement ship just out in the water, which is pretty cool. It's beautiful there, and not too far from NYC. You can make it in under 3 hours without traffic, no flight needed. I highly recommend it, and if you can afford it, stay in Congress Hall.

CapeMay.com | Cape May NJ, Cape May Hotels, Cape May Beach Vacations, Cape May Restaurants, Cape May Information | New Jersey Beach Vacations

Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 AM

567 posts, read 911,228 times
Flagstaff, AZ. I used to spend weekends there when I lived in Vegas to get away. I loved it.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:38 AM

4,475 posts, read 7,294,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Corps Christi
Corps? haha Nice typo. At least I hope it was a typo. Corpus Christi

Old 05-31-2013, 01:55 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,764,670 times
yes, definitely a typo. Seems to be a mellow place but not that mellow.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 22 days ago)

8,704 posts, read 10,847,720 times
Jerome, Az. They have a former old hospital converted to a hotel, which is a nice place to stay. Nice eateries around. Some history to investigate there, too.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:07 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,436,151 times
wow .... from NYC to Jerome .... that would be some culture shock

I really enjoy visiting Jerome - just can't imagine there is much there in the way of jobs, single life, etc .... it's a good place to drop out though

i think the poster above commenting on line of work raising a pretty good point - what do you want to do for work?

Old 06-02-2013, 02:07 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,576,405 times
I really like Albany, NY. Though there's no coastline.

Portland, ME is also good, and has a coastline.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:44 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 22 days ago)

8,704 posts, read 10,847,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
wow .... from NYC to Jerome .... that would be some culture shock

I really enjoy visiting Jerome - just can't imagine there is much there in the way of jobs, single life, etc .... it's a good place to drop out though

i think the poster above commenting on line of work raising a pretty good point - what do you want to do for work?
I thought the OP was looking for a getaway only, but you're right, Jerome wouldn't be for long-term residency. Maybe Prescott--more jobs, or Flagg.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:18 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,696,554 times
Newport, Oregon. Great Seafood and waterfront. Right of the Pacific Ocean and Highway 101. One of the best aquariums in american. Quaint, and calm. Gateway to the Oregon Coast, most naturally Beautiful and Untouched coastline in america. Also Chelan, Washington. Small resort city on Lake Chelan. Good warm weather in spring and summer months. Relaxing, and in wine country. Not too far from Seattle aswell (like 2 hours)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or