Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 02:47 PM

5 posts, read 7,305 times

Advertisements

I don't care what state it's in. I just want a nice small town or city far away from all of the pretentiousness, the selfishness, and of course away from the "big city" people.

I've lived in New York all my life, and let me tell you the people really take a toll on you. I find myself wondering at night, why am I here? Why do I keep doing this to myself? I know I'm not enjoying this, so why do I even bother saying? Honestly it's because I'm obsessed with planning. I can't do something without knowing exactly how it will plan out, even if it doesn't end up the way I planned it. I'm constantly stressed out, and for some reason, planning puts me at ease.

At this point though, I'm going to end up killing someone if I stay in this city any longer. My issue is honestly I have no idea where to go. I had this dream the other day about this small town along the coastline. Life there was perfect. The people were so nice and nothing like the stereotypical New Yorker. I saw this guy and he kept repeating this word to me over and over, but as soon as I woke up I forgot what he kept repeating.

I know this perfect little town of mine seems ridiculous, but really I think it's my mind telling me it's time for me to just get away. I just wished I knew where to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 03:38 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
I have the perfect places for you! St. Augustine, FL or Charleston, SC. Both are so beautiful. I ADORE St. Augustine! It's a really cool, historic town with quaint little shops, nice restaurants, good beaches and a charming, laid-back Southern vibe. Great architecture too.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:40 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
If you're just venting, fine.
If you are looking for serious advice you need to get a lot more detailed about what you want. Otherwise you will just get a bunch of homers throwing out the names of their favorite places, lol.
For starters, coming from New York (NYC?) what is your definition of small, 5K, 50K, maybe 500K?

Old 05-27-2013, 06:30 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Madison, GA. One hour from Atlanta. Beautiful antebellum town.

www.madisonga.com

Old 05-27-2013, 08:01 PM

DubbleT, It's just I'm not even entirely sure what it is I'm looking for. I just know I'm tired of living in a big city. I'd love somewhere not overly crowded. Somewhere quiet, but still friendly. I'm not even sure if a place like this exist but I figured if there is, I'd probably find it here. I've always look at this site, but I've registered to post until now. Also, when I said small, I was thinking more of that typical small town feel that I hear about (or I guess in this case, literally dream about), rather than the literal size. I'm still pretty young (22), but I really think this is what I want. I'm tired of paying ridiculous prices for a box, in a city that just isn't for me. As for not being specific enough, what else would you need to know?

To the rest of you guys, thank you so much for your suggestions. I dying to check out the places you guys are talking about.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:07 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Tiny: Havre-de-Grace MD or Lewes DE. A little bigger: Wilmington NC.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:10 PM

623 posts, read 958,445 times
Default Haines, AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlNextNextDoor View Post
I don't care what state it's in. I just want a nice small town or city far away from all of the pretentiousness, the selfishness, and of course away from the "big city" people.

I've lived in New York all my life, and let me tell you the people really take a toll on you. I find myself wondering at night, why am I here? Why do I keep doing this to myself? I know I'm not enjoying this, so why do I even bother saying? Honestly it's because I'm obsessed with planning. I can't do something without knowing exactly how it will plan out, even if it doesn't end up the way I planned it. I'm constantly stressed out, and for some reason, planning puts me at ease.

At this point though, I'm going to end up killing someone if I stay in this city any longer. My issue is honestly I have no idea where to go. I had this dream the other day about this small town along the coastline. Life there was perfect. The people were so nice and nothing like the stereotypical New Yorker. I saw this guy and he kept repeating this word to me over and over, but as soon as I woke up I forgot what he kept repeating.

I know this perfect little town of mine seems ridiculous, but really I think it's my mind telling me it's time for me to just get away. I just wished I knew where to go.
Small Town America is Alive and Well in Haines, Alaska | The Traveler

My plug. In addition to the awesome little town it is, you have bears, moose, glaciers, salmon, river rafting and/or peace and quiet. At the end of a huge fjord surrounded by mile high mountains. Google images or videos of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKAmPsE5s_Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phexird9MAo

Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 PM

Wow Takuriver, your town sounds amazing and looks absolutely wonderful!

Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 PM

623 posts, read 958,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlNextNextDoor View Post
Wow Takuriver, your town sounds amazing and looks absolutely wonderful!

It's an amazing place. Extreme skiers the world over know Haines. In the summer, it's drier and warmer than most of S.E. Ak and is both coastal and mountain. Wildlife is off the charts and the people are amazing.

I live 80 miles south but take the ferry up there a couple times a summer for some R&R. I plan on retiring there.

Last edited by takuriver; 05-27-2013 at 11:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.