U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:25 PM

542 posts, read 1,406,498 times

Advertisements

I've lived in NYC for the past 8 years because I work in the advertising industry, but in all honesty I've never been a fan of the overcrowding and people with bad attitudes (I don't mean to generalize). I've been contemplating a move for a change of scenery - a large city that's clean with employment opportunities, and where the people are fairly nice...any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 06:40 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,671,941 times
Atlanta.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:48 PM

272 posts, read 371,096 times
Columbus, Denver, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Seattle, San Diego, Tampa.

I visited every city except for Seattle, found them vibrant and clean. imo, the only common factor between them is the size and without the hustle and bustle of big cities like NYC and Chicago.

So, it basically goes down to your personal preferences, on specific social scenes, weather, economy market, location, education, etc.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:50 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,108,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
I've lived in NYC for the past 8 years because I work in the advertising industry, but in all honesty I've never been a fan of the overcrowding and people with bad attitudes (I don't mean to generalize). I've been contemplating a move for a change of scenery - a large city that's clean with employment opportunities, and where the people are fairly nice...any recommendations?
San Antonio or Fort Worth.

Both are large cities that feel more like small towns with their friendliness & open spaces.

The Texas economy is 2nd to none right now. Texas has the fastest growing cities in the nation & continues to lead in employment numbers.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:21 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,016,286 times
Quote:

Large city with that? Nothing has as much hustle and bustle as NYC in the US. My choices would be Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, San Diego, San Francisco, Phoenix, Boston, Dallas, etc. Chicago does not have that much hustle and bustle even though it has big tall buildings, nothing like NYC at least for H&B. There is a lot of white collar business type of stuff, but people are way less likely to (a) give a **** what you do for a living and look down upon you and (b) be involved in a rat race. Yes, trains and buses can be crowded and some streets can have a lot of people on it, but there seems to be a better work-life balance versus NYC...actually that's true in pretty much all cities outside of NYC in my opinion.

Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, and Philadelphia will offer you the same type of urbanity you may find in NYC with Chicago on the largest scale IMO. Houston and San Diego offer things that are semi urban but they're largely car oriented. Then Phoenix after that in that scale. Chicago also has the largest public transit system after NYC in the US. Boston/DC after that, and then Philly, then San Fran.

Chicago, Philly, Boston and San Fran are the densest out of that but nowhere near the level of NYC on a whole. The densest areas of Chicago, for example, are 30,000 per sq mile (one at 33k per sq mile). Brooklyn has areas over twice that. Big city but a lot less crowded than NYC and pretty cheap COL compared to NYC, Boston, DC, Los Angeles, San Diego, and LA. Houston and Phoenix are even cheaper (as well as Dallas).

Last edited by marothisu; 05-27-2013 at 07:44 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 08:04 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,991,268 times
Quote:
I have a cousin that moved to NYC for several years working in that same field. He lives out in L.A. now I think.

I found San Diego to be a pretty beautiful city. The climate (weather wise) is great. And I've never seen so many limousine driving down streets and parked on one street in my life. I was very impressed with San Diego. The people seem generally nice too. But I found a number of Californians very friendly and talkative to strangers. I did not like that because I came from an environment where you step, don't eyeball others, and you generally don't try striking up conversations with strangers passing you by.

Phoenix, Arizona is another city I was impressed with. There are plenty of people from Midwestern cities that have moved down there too. Overall it's probably a better city to live in than most Midwestern cities. Minneapolis, Minnesota excepted. But then... what one is looking for or prefers can vary from one person to the next.

If you consider the Midwest I think Minneapolis would seem to fit more of what you're looking for than Chicago. Even the poor people moving to Minneapolis from Milwaukee love its cleaner and better looking "ghettos" than Milwaukee's, if that's any indication to you. At least among the few people I've known to head to Minneapolis. There's money and growth in Minneapolis too.

But San Diego and Phoenix are my bigger recommendations. Great weather in general. Phoenix is wide open too in look when compared to the cramped look of NYC, East Coast cities, and Midwestern cities.

I posted this in a different thread but its useful here too. In Milwaukee I pay $579 a month for a 1 bedroom that is more or less the equivalent of this in contemporary look etc. Mine is about 50 sq ft smaller and has no patio either. So, it might be fair to guess Phoenix will be less expensive than Chicago in this way. If you make good money you probably can afford a pretty stylish looking place in Phoenix. I think San Diego will be more expensive though.

San Marina Apartments For Rent in Phoenix, Arizona - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

1 bedroom from $459

Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,016,286 times
Minneapolis is another good city in the midwest. Probably the only other after Chicago I would go to. Phoenix IS less expensive with housing than Chicago, but you need to realize that you don't need to have a car in Chicago necessarily. So even if Phoenix is $200/month less than Chicago in rent, if you don't outright own your car in Phoenix, the price of gas + car payment alone will push rent+transportation for Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, etc slightly above of Chicago ...really depends though. The average rents in good neighborhoods of Chicago versus Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, etc are usually about $150-$300/month difference on average i believe. SO it depends on what your lifestyle is in these cities. In some cases, a city like Phoenix, Houston, etc might be slightly more expensive than Chicago and in other cases..less expensive.

However, it should be noted that owning a car in Chicago is much less of a hassle versus the denser parts of NYC and that goes for every city outside of NYC too.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:40 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,096,781 times
San Diego, New Orleans, Tampa.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:41 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,991,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Minneapolis is another good city in the midwest. Probably the only other after Chicago I would go to. Phoenix IS less expensive with housing than Chicago, but you need to realize that you don't need to have a car in Chicago necessarily. So even if Phoenix is $200/month less than Chicago in rent, if you don't outright own your car in Phoenix, the price of gas + car payment alone will push rent+transportation for Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, etc slightly above of Chicago ...really depends though. The average rents in good neighborhoods of Chicago versus Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, etc are usually about $150-$300/month difference on average i believe. SO it depends on what your lifestyle is in these cities. In some cases, a city like Phoenix, Houston, etc might be slightly more expensive than Chicago and in other cases..less expensive.
Okay, this is a good point I never considered.

Quote:
However, it should be noted that owning a car in Chicago is much less of a hassle versus the denser parts of NYC and that goes for every city outside of NYC too.
LMAO. I don't know what it's like to own a car in NYC but I drove in NYC once. The craziest f___ place I ever drove through. And none of the NYC drivers had any patience with me. I remember my from New York in the car with me telling me to "Double park here." I was like [look on my face but in verbal question too] "what the f___ is 'double park'?"

But after living so long in Virgina where you seemed to always have parking lots or lawns to park on, I lost my ability to parallel park. Never quite recovered it in Milwaukee.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:47 PM

12,419 posts, read 11,926,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
LMAO. I don't know what it's like to own a car in NYC but I drove in NYC once. The craziest f___ place I ever drove through.
You've obviously never driven in Boston. Easily the worst place in the country to drive if you don't know where you're going. At least NYC has a grid. Many places in Boston they don't even bother to put street signs at intersections!

Driving in NYC, in contrast, isn't bad at all. Unless you have to park, I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or