U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 04:01 PM

350 posts, read 607,587 times

Advertisements

Seems like the South is closer to Britain than New England after all you posts, it's hard to believe...

Last edited by Smash XY; 06-10-2013 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 04:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider25 View Post
'Nova Scotia' means 'New Scotland', and you think it's closest to Northern England? Well done.
I said northern New England not northern England. Maine is almost adjacent to Nova Scotia. Being in the new world and geographically next to each other, does lend some similarities.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 PM

12,333 posts, read 10,303,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The South tried to form its own country but the north didn't let them.

I know. I for one regret that fact very much.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:34 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,648,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
It seems to me that the British influence of this country is weak. Very few of the most common foods we eat are of British origin. The most popular sports are totally different. And its seems the me that the strongest British influences are at governmental level.

So how strong is the British influence in the US?
The government system in the US is very different than the UK . The big shock would be the monarchy system and parliamentary system in UK that does not exit in the US.

The UK accent and dialects is much more contrast than southern US accent and dialects vs north vs west coast.

Even in Canada in some parts of Canada like southern Ontario unless some one is really good at English or voice coach you will never know they from Canada . Canada has less dialects than the UK. Some one coming from the UK any where in the US the accent and dialects are so strong it make communication hard .

In the UK and Canada they take softer approach for crime and punishment where in the US they take hard approach to crime and punishment.The American people and cops don't have problem to use taser on guy ,girl or teen who is resisting arrest or not doing what that officer is saying like put your hands behind your back or sit in police car. In the UK it other story . In the US American people and cops don't have problem with police shooting some one coming at them with non gun or knife but other weapon like baseball bat , stick or pipe so on . In the UK they will try to use taser .

Most cops in the UK don't have guns with them only the special response unit .

In US most states have the death penalty even states in north and west coast. If you do crime it does not matter be it robbery , B&E ,car theft or even shoplifting ,fraud or drugs you do more time in jail than if you did that in Canada or the UK.

Some states have laws where you can shoot the person that is breaking into your home.

When it comes to crime and punishment this where US is very different .The US takes much harder approach for crime and punishment .In other words US don't do crime you do hard time.Some states even have the three strike laws do DUI three times you in for life.

The food and sports more similar.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
In the UK and Canada they take softer approach for crime and punishment where in the US they take hard approach to crime and punishment.The American people and cops don't have problem to use taser on guy ,girl or teen who is resisting arrest or not doing what that officer is saying like put your hands behind your back or sit in police car. In the UK it other story . In the US American people and cops don't have problem with police shooting some one coming at them with non gun or knife but other weapon like baseball bat , stick or pipe so on . In the UK they will try to use taser .
Very over-exagerated
Most cops in the United States use their gun as a last resort.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,648,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Very over-exagerated
Most cops in the United States use their gun as a last resort.
No cop is going to taser you coming at them with knife it is dangerous for cop. If they miss they get stabbed.

If you out of house in open not moving they may use taser on you .But if cop tells you to drop the knife you better do it.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,143,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I said northern New England not northern England. Maine is almost adjacent to Nova Scotia. Being in the new world and geographically next to each other, does lend some similarities.
Also, Nova Scotia was largely settled by New Englanders before the Revolution. Most of the rest of Canada was populated by Americans from Pennsylvania and the Midwest who left after the Revolution.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,849,494 times
My grandmother was born in London so I've always felt pretty close to England. Not sure about your typical American though.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,043,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
It seems to me that the British influence of this country is weak. Very few of the most common foods we eat are of British origin. The most popular sports are totally different. And its seems the me that the strongest British influences are at governmental level.

So how strong is the British influence in the US?
The British influence in America has been steadily decreasing since colonial days. After the Revolution, both countries went their completely separate ways. A lot of Americans have British heritage dating far back to colonial times but other than that, there isn't much of a tie these days other than language.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
We have convinced ourselves that we don't have much British influence because we did after all fight them for our independence. The truth is however that we speak English, copied much of their government and law and share a common culture. Australia and Canada do not have an opposition to all things British as part of their national identity so it is more in the open in those nations. Here in the US the influence exists too, we just don't like to talk about it. All the Anglo saxon world shares a great deal of culture. History has divided us into the national goverments that exist today, but we easily could have stayed united under Britain (American defeat in revolution) or the Anglo saxon nations could have further divided. The US and Canada could have been united (war of 1812) or the US could have developed as two nations (US civil war), or we could have been broken down even further. (north divided in two after loss in civil war) California and the west coast could have made a go of independence as well if the north lost the war. Northern victory in the war was never guaranteed even if they did have the advantage. These consequences of a northern loss were always possible. History could have unfolded in many different ways creating many different possible nation states. No matter how history divided us we would have still shared a great deal of culture because of our common parent nation. Denying our British heritage and influence is like denying the sky is blue.
Those two countries are part of the Commonwealth of Nations and recognize the Queen as their monarch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations

Much of the US was never part of England. My husband's home state of Nebraska was once a part of France. Our current home of 33 years and home state of our children, Colorado, was once part of Spain. I am from Pennsylvania but my family is of German origin, and my mother was from Wisconsin, once also a part of France. A lot of us don't give a **** about the British.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.