U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:02 PM

6,226 posts, read 6,842,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
It's stronger than many people think. Certain British bankers have a huge influence on this country, whether you believe it or not.
And that's a fact!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 03:13 PM

939 posts, read 2,829,728 times
But bankers are controlled by politicians, and I believe the OP mentioned anything aside from political influences...

I also agree that American pop culture influences Britain more these days than the British influence American's. That was not the same throughout the rest of history, especially during the last major British invasion in the 1960s, aka the Beatles, and the dozens of British bands that followed suit.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:35 PM

4,138 posts, read 4,160,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
But bankers are controlled by politicians, and I believe the OP mentioned anything aside from political influences...
It's actually the other way around.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 9 days ago)

2,038 posts, read 1,990,051 times
I've always wondered whether or not there are more Irish people in the US than in Ireland.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:18 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I've always wondered whether or not there are more Irish people in the US than in Ireland.
I can't find the numbers but the number of Irish people in the United States is very small.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 9 days ago)

2,038 posts, read 1,990,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I can't find the numbers but the number of Irish people in the United States is very small.
That may be true, but there are 315 million people in the US vs 6 million in Ireland. I also don't have numbers, but to me it sounds plausible, and would be amusing if true.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:22 PM

12,419 posts, read 11,920,328 times
There are 40 million people of Irish descent in the U.S. Even assuming that a goodly number of them are actually Scots-Irish, and a fair proportion of the "real Irish" are of fractional descent, given Ireland proper only has 4.6 million people, the U.S. would only need 15% of the total to be full-blooded to have more Irish people than Ireland.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:32 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,536,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
It's stronger than many people think. Certain British bankers have a huge influence on this country, whether you believe it or not.
. I think there's a stronger German influence on the general American culture. Like the Interstate system is based on the Autobahn, the punctuality of the "Time is Money", and our most famous foods are of German origin (Hot Dogs, Hamburgers) along with Beers coming from German American founders. But London is pretty much the financial Capitol of the word. They influence most of the world banks.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:52 AM

35 posts, read 48,119 times
Huh? THe United States in general isn't that United. There's different accents, different take on government, musical style differences, some regions that are more atheist than religious. The southern states have a radically different culture than the northern states.

Don't kid yourself with the name United States of America. We're anything but "United" really. Even the revolutionary war with its take on individualism and gun rights is getting to becvome more questioned in certain parts of the country. Even with and increasing hispanic population the english lanugae is starting to fade. Some sections of the country may in some of our lifetimes speak spanish as the first official language.

It isn't a unified country, so stop lying and kidding yourselves. And some of the things that used to unite us such as language and religion (one nation under god) is starting to fade away in recent years.

Last edited by TylerCaleb92; 05-29-2013 at 01:23 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 01:31 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerCaleb92 View Post
Huh? THe United States in general isn't that United. There's different accents, different take on government, musical style differences, some regions that are more atheist than religious. The southern states have a radically different culture than the northern states.

Don't kid yourself with the name United States of America. We're anything but "United" really. Even the revolutionary war with its take on individualism and gun rights is getting to becvome more questioned in certain parts of the country. Even with and increasing hispanic population the english lanugae is starting to fade. Some sections of the country may in some of our lifetimes speak spanish as the first official language.

It isn't a unified country, so stop lying and kidding yourselves. And some of the things that used to unite us such as language and religion (one nation under god) is starting to fade away in recent years.
You pretty much just explained every country in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.