U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:49 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,143,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsenalFC View Post
We were a typical Coffee drinking nation up until the mid 1800s, when Tea became the drink of choice.
I would say that today, Coffee and Tea are equally popular.

Also, I think you've forgotten something:

American tea culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"During the colonial period, tea and tea taxes were a bone of contention between the American Colonies and Britain. This led to the Boston Tea Party, a precipitating event of the American Revolution, where angry Colonists destroyed the tea cargo of three British ships by dumping them into Boston Harbor. Boycotts of tea by the colonists during this period led to an increase in consumption of other beverages, such as coffee or herbal teas."

Tea consumption decreased in America sharply after the American Revolution, as "The Americans love it very much, but they had resolved to drink it no longer, as the famous duty on the tea had occasioned the war."
I was aware of that and meant to mention it. However, Coffeehouses were more important for birthing the Revolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,274,376 times
I think the reason a lot of people are saying that there's not much British influence here is because British culture, values, and general way of life are so engrained in the US that it's not really recognized as being distinct. It's hard to pick out distinctly British elements because our society was built on them and they permeate everything. This is why people of English descent in the US are not really recognized as a distinct ethnic group the way people of German, Irish, and Italian descent are. If you've ever spent a considerable amount of time in the UK it becomes immediately obvious the HUGE impact that Britain has had the US and most Americans don't even realize it.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 PM

12,333 posts, read 10,303,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
They are in the same country, watch the same sports and celebrate the same holidays.

Means nothing. Sometimes accidents of history happen. We don't all belong in the same country.

And he makes a good point. We are anything but "united".

Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
What does that mean?

It means Texas doesn't belong in the same nation as PA, NJ or NY. Our people don't share the same values. Simple as that.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Means nothing. Sometimes accidents of history happen. We don't all belong in the same country.

And he makes a good point. We are anything but "united".
Yea i know you say the same thing over and over again.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerCaleb92 View Post
The north and south should be different countries.

I agree with you 100%. I'm guessing you are a Southerner based on your post.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:39 PM

5,441 posts, read 8,148,393 times
Why can't people just be happy that we're able to live in one of the greatest countries in the world? I don't understand how we're not united.

I think there is a lot of British influence in the USA. Not so much in the West, but in the East for sure. I agree that the US infulence the UK more than the other way around. Then again...we do speak their language. Hmmm...

Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
What does disparate individualism have to do with not being united? The American culture, its values, and its beliefs on individual life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are fully imbedded in our shared federal supreme law of the land, the United States Constitution, which thousands if not millions have died for. So stop being disrespectful. These united States are more united, or integrated, than you may realize! Read the Constitution for Christ sakes and understand the implications of every law, clause, and right and responsibility it has for its citizens and government.

...And if you don't like the ideology of a federal constitutional republic, I can name a couple dozen countries that you can move to, so you can learn the hard way how sharing your ignorant opinion will get you beheaded. Be thankful!

Mind explaining how legislators in NC, sworn to uphold the US Constitution, crafted a bill in their state house to make Christianity the state religion (in violation of the incorporation of The Bill of Rights), and to claim that NC was exempted from Fed laws. The people of the South eat this crap up and believe it. I'm tired of sharing a govt with them.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Mind explaining how legislators in NC, sworn to uphold the US Constitution, crafted a bill in their state house to make Christianity the state religion (in violation of the incorporation of The Bill of Rights), and to claim that NC was exempted from Fed laws. The people of the South eat this crap up and believe it. I'm tired of sharing a govt with them.
Awe they must make your life so rough...
You'll make it through this. I promise

Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I think the region of the US that has the strongest British influence is the aptly named New England (Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island.) In the states that border the Canadian border (especially Maine) there's some French influence, but everywhere else the British imprint is quite strong.

The British influence is quite visible in the way the towns look and their architecture, the way municipal governments function, in the ancestry of the people (most descent from the British with a few pockets of Italian, Greek, Irish, etc descent), even the countryside looks similar to that of England, especially in Massachusetts-Connecticut-Rhode Island. If you look at a map of say Connecticut and compare the names of many towns with those found in England, you will find that its the same and in most cases its due to the original founders of the New England towns were from the British counterpart. There are Greenwich in Connecticut and in England, as well as Stamford, Avon, Stratford, [New] London, Essex, etc. Boston is the largest city in New England and almost everyone agrees that its the largest US city with the strongest European influence and feel.

Also, many of the original old money ruling class of the USA have their origins in this part of the country. Even Hawaii, despite being in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, its old money ruling class are almost all descendants of Christian Missionaries that originally left from Massachusetts. Their influence is the strongest one in Hawaii because they form the dominant social group and the same can be said of most US states. There's also plenty of non-New England/British influences, but these are secondary in overall importance.

Anyway, New England is very different from the rest of the USA and its the most European-like area. Its also the geographically closest part of the USA to Europe, so I don't know how much this has to do with that.

Once you leave New England, most of the rest of the USA were lands under non-British rule for a very long time. A good chunk of the Midwest/up and down the Mississippi River areas were ruled and influenced by France until the Louisiana Purchase. Much of the western USA was part of the Spanish Empire and ruled from Mexico City. Alaska was under Russian rule for quite a few years and Hawaii was an independent Polynesian kingdom before the Massachusetts Christian missionaries went in and literally took over.

The one place that will possibly be added in the next few decades is Puerto Rico and they were part of the Spanish Empire for about 400 years and you can still feel it when you visit.
I would say the other northern states that formed the original 13 colonies like PA, NY and NJ would be a close second behind New England. When I first visited England I was struck how similar the neighborhoods of English cities were to Philly neighborhoods. Philly was a very British city during the colonial era. People here welcomed the British Occupation during the Rev War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.