U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:33 PM

12,333 posts, read 10,303,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
People lost roots quickly in the New World, the south was rather isolated and communication difficult with elsewhere except maybe the coast (in the 18th and early 19th centuries). Plantation agriculture and its extreme ruralness quickly created a new culture. Northern New England may be as British or more so than the US South, hard to judge, though obviously must be since the South has a large non-white population and northern New England doesn't.

Aside government structure, IMO Canada feels much more like the US (especially the northern US) rather than the UK.

Agreed. The people of New England and Canada share more political and cultural ideology with the UK though than with the US South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 11:02 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,143,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'm curious why the part of the US with the largest amount of people with British ancestry (and surnames), the US South, is so culturally different from the UK.

I'm mostly talking about political beliefs, religious beliefs, guns, etc.
The overall general outlook of the people couldn't be further apart.
Divergent cultural evolutions. That said, people in Charleston were known to be quite like the British aristocracy (and many actually had homes in London) at the time of the Revolution. But that caused a split. Still, the English used to care about their guns.

As for politics, how many conservative governments would you guys have had without the Scots and Welsh? From what I understand, it's the Scottish vote that pushes the UK to the left. England itself is quite conservative.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Divergent cultural evolutions. That said, people in Charleston were known to be quite like the British aristocracy (and many actually had homes in London) at the time of the Revolution. But that caused a split. Still, the English used to care about their guns.

As for politics, how many conservative governments would you guys have had without the Scots and Welsh? From what I understand, it's the Scottish vote that pushes the UK to the left. England itself is quite conservative.
I'm not British.

Even conservative English PM's are no where near conservative as the people in the US South generally. How bout religious belief? English are no where near as religious as Southerners.
I remember reading a book by a British author touring the US South. He went to tea with a bunch of old Southern women, and of course somehow evolution and religion came up. He was floored that not a one of these women believed Darwin or in the theory of evolution.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I'm not British.

Even conservative English PM's are no where near conservative as the people in the US South generally. How bout religious belief? English are no where near as religious as Southerners.
I remember reading a book by a British author touring the US South. He went to tea with a bunch of old Southern women, and of course somehow evolution and religion came up. He was floored that not a one of these women believed Darwin or in the theory of evolution.
Excuse me, I didn't mean to say you were British.

There are some very conservative Brits and some of them are very religious, but the country as a whole is a lot like Northern Europe. America has had its share of religious movements over the years and I think that's kept religion strong in this country. Britain was once very religious.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:06 AM

12,419 posts, read 11,920,328 times
Quote:
I'm not British.

IIRC, Britain's irreligiousness is a relatively new thing. Religious practice went into heavy decline following World War 1. It's typically thought that the horrors of modern warfare simply "turned people away from God."

It's also a bit ironic religiosity is considered such an eternal characteristic of the south. Back in colonial times and early U.S. history (before the Great Awakening), travelers from Britain remarked at how the southern United States was almost totally irreligious. Few people went to church, and while most people believed in God, they did so in a rather passive manner. In contrast, New England was considered to be the hyper-religious, intolerant, socially conservative part of the country. It just shows how things change over the centuries.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
IIRC, Britain's irreligiousness is a relatively new thing. Religious practice went into heavy decline following World War 1. It's typically thought that the horrors of modern warfare simply "turned people away from God."

It's also a bit ironic religiosity is considered such an eternal characteristic of the south. Back in colonial times and early U.S. history (before the Great Awakening), travelers from Britain remarked at how the southern United States was almost totally irreligious. Few people went to church, and while most people believed in God, they did so in a rather passive manner. In contrast, New England was considered to be the hyper-religious, intolerant, socially conservative part of the country. It just shows how things change over the centuries.

Very interesting indeed. Contrast that with most modern Southern politicians. Mark Sandford couldn't keep his mouth shut about how God's grace changed everything, blah, blah.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:35 PM

Here, read this: Let's Talk Books And Politics: Red vs. Blue: Private Protestants vs. Public Protestants

I want to try to explain what I read, but this does it better. Reconstruction really helped strengthen the role of the Southern Baptist church. New England puritanism was replaced with a form of secular puritanism (moralizing without God). Those two things set up the dynamic you see today.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:27 AM

8,379 posts, read 8,369,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
There must be around 25 millions Americans of Irish descent if we consider that a good number of people who consider themselves Irish Americans are actually Scotch-Irish Americans.

There are 4.6 millions Irish people in Ireland so there are still six times more Irish ancestry in America than Ireland. Even the UK and Australia have more people of Irish descent than Ireland.
Census numbers for American ethnic ancestry groups:

File:Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Old 06-08-2013, 09:29 AM

8,379 posts, read 8,369,074 times
Quote:
It means Texas doesn't belong in the same nation as PA, NJ or NY. Our people don't share the same values. Simple as that.
Hogwash.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:38 PM

350 posts, read 607,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Census numbers for American ethnic ancestry groups:

File:Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
Those numbers aren't exactly right because they depend on self-reported ancestry and most Americans are Euro mutt so it's difficult for them to know all their ancestries.

A good example it's people who consider themselves of "American ancestry", they are generally southerners of English/Scotch-Irish descent but their ancestors are here since the 16th/17th century so they just consider themselves American.

Like I said, some people who think they're Irish are actually Scotch-Irish or maybe both but I don't know what percentages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.