U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:31 AM

537 posts, read 1,711,200 times

Advertisements

Just curious, what cities in the U.S. have the least amount of problems dealing with bugs? By bugs, I mean everything from roaches to ants, as well as mosquitos, gnats, etc. I absolutely hate dealing with bugs, and I know that in the warmer, more humid climates (southern states), no matter how clean you keep your house, there'll always be at least a roach or two crawling around.

In the Northeast (especially NYC), you have bedbugs to worry about. Not to mention rats if you live in a really crappy place.

I wonder what major American cities deal with this problem the least - maybe a cool climate like Seattle or San Francisco? Or would it be a hot, arid climate like Phoenix? I'm just curious, I have no clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 10:39 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,989,551 times
You can cross Florida as a state off that list. Beautiful state but some natural dangers like I've never seen. If the fire ants don't get you the fire grass will. That's if the spiders, snakes, or snapping turtles don't get you. Oh... let's not forget the gators down there. Prehistoric creatures. Who the f___ has that in their backyard?

California is really decent in terms of mosquitoes because it has a dry heat climate--at least certain regions of Cali. The Midwest gets kind of humid during the summer, so, these things can eat you alive some nights.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:46 AM

939 posts, read 2,828,474 times
Maybe non-humid cities that have extremely cold winters but are hot and arid during the summer? Flagstaff, Arizona comes to mind. Las Vegas might be another one, but it does not necessarily get extremely cold. How about Denver and Salt Lake City? ...then again, that lake can be a giant cess pool when things go awry, haha... Or what about Phoenix? Or Reno?

Now I'm pretty much summing up most of Arizona and Nevada, possibly Colorado and Utah.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:36 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,088,556 times
California is pretty good, although we have some horse flies and a few mosquitoes, but nothing bad (I lived in DC a few years, and the bugs were KILLER in summer!). Arizona and New Mexico are good for lack of bugs too, but the summers there are like climbing in an oven.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:40 PM

10,552 posts, read 13,107,085 times
Avoid the south.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:57 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,014,398 times
Its relatively bug free out here in SoCal...

Old 05-28-2013, 01:42 PM

159 posts, read 447,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
California is pretty good, although we have some horse flies and a few mosquitoes, but nothing bad (I lived in DC a few years, and the bugs were KILLER in summer!). Arizona and New Mexico are good for lack of bugs too, but the summers there are like climbing in an oven.
Why do people think that New Mexico gets extremely hot in the summer? The average high for large parts of the state is in the 80's during summer thanks to the high elevation, and most of the state gets down right freezing during the winter. Most parts of the Midwest and other parts of the country can feel hotter thanks to the humidity there. NM is a good place to look if you don't like bugs thanks to the dryness throughout most of the year.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:48 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,810,368 times
It may not be in the US, but Toronto can have pretty bad Mosquitos. In the suburbs they're even worse. And in the exurbs they can be terrible - especially in the evening - the black flies can be bad in the spring, and the horseflies deadly year-round. Further north you have all of the above, plus deer flies, which are almost as bad as horseflies. And ticks are endemic to the whole region, so Lymes Disease is a real threat. Unfortunately, bedbugs have made a resurgence in the inner-city here, as it has in some American metropolises. They're a pest year-round and a nasty one at that. It's also very difficult to get rid of a bedbug infestation, and they spread quite easily so in the poorer parts of the city, entire buildings are infested. Just yesterday a downtown hotel had a fire related to their bedbug eradication efforts - some machine overheated. We also have plenty of roaches in the city, house spiders, water bugs, wasps, hornets, earwigs - the usual. Not too many rats, except in certain areas. Nothing venomous.

The city has a serious raccoon issue, because so many of the wooded ravines were never filled in when the city was developing, creating perfect areas for wildlife to thrive, but the coons come up into the city and have staked out territories. They did a huge study on them on The Nature of Thinga and found out that family groups have clearly defined territories, usually divided by city streets, and have adapted to city life extremely well. It was really interesting. We also have coyotes coming up into the city and killing dogs from time to time. There are also foxes and deer, but you never see those in the city.

I guess every city has its critters. I guarantee you that the buting bugs are brutal in Alaska during the spring and summer, nevermind the bears and wolves, etc.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:35 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,088,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggabq View Post
Why do people think that New Mexico gets extremely hot in the summer? The average high for large parts of the state is in the 80's during summer thanks to the high elevation, and most of the state gets down right freezing during the winter. Most parts of the Midwest and other parts of the country can feel hotter thanks to the humidity there. NM is a good place to look if you don't like bugs thanks to the dryness throughout most of the year.
Yes, but there are also parts of NM that do get hot like Phoenix and such.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:31 PM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
High elevation (10,000 feet or higher) and/or dry conditions is the best bet to avoid bugs, particularly mosquitoes. Places like Taos, New Mexico or Breckenridge, Colorado fit that bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.