U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 01:06 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
The Missouri River isn't a good dividing line until you get to South Dakota. Omaha is west of the river and not western.
The western 1/2 of Nebraska is western, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 02:40 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,513,956 times
For me, the West begins where farms become dependent on irrigation to be profitable.

This marks a noticeable drop in population density, which affects the economy (less farming, more ranching and mining) and, oddly enough, people's worldviews (generally, Westerners are less community-focused, less religious, and more libertarian-minded than their Midwestern peers).

Old 04-26-2015, 04:39 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,448,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The western 1/2 of Nebraska is western, though.
Yes, it is.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:38 PM

5,551 posts, read 3,704,312 times
I think the Ft. Worth expression comes from a much earlier time in U.S. history, when our country was not nearly populated in the west than it is today.

Also, Colorado is not one state away from the west coast. Utah/Nevada, then CA. Or Utah, Idaho, then OR. Or Utah, Idaho, WA. Or Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, then OR and WA. Everyone keeps forgetting Utah!

EDIT: If you include the 4 corners, (AZ, CO, UT, and NM) then I suppose you could make a case.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:14 PM

9,384 posts, read 9,546,239 times
In general the English Colonial areas are absolutely Eastern, Spanish Areas the West, and the former French areas are questionable. There is definately a shift over the Eastern Continentauk divide, then again outside the immediate Mississippi Valley. The NHL got it down, Chicago, Dallas the West, and Pittsburgh East.

Last edited by btownboss4; 04-26-2015 at 06:53 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 09:30 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,390,242 times
I think the states west of the Missouri river border (western Minnesota down to western Louisiana) are the beginning of the west. To call Texas anything but "Western" is silly. Texas is the ARCHETYPE of the American western image. Cowboys, wide open skies, grassy plains, dry deserts, cattle ranches. The parts of Texas that geographically resemble Louisiana and Mississippi with humidity, swamps and greenery is a small chunk compared to the mostly spacious and semi-arid geography of the state. I'm not exactly in the desert here, but there's evidence of being not too far away. Cacti grow sporadically. The geography is drier, there's less trees, there's that frontier feel.

Yea, there's southern accents here, but that doesn't make Texas more like Alabama than like New Mexico, at least not in geography, which is what truly matters when calling some place "the west." You hear similar accents up in Wyoming and Montana, but no one's calling them the SOUTH at all! Texas is the southwest, and not calling it southwest is like not calling Pennsylvania the northeast, imho.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:38 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,930,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I think the states west of the Missouri river border (western Minnesota down to western Louisiana) are the beginning of the west. To call Texas anything but "Western" is silly. Texas is the ARCHETYPE of the American western image. Cowboys, wide open skies, grassy plains, dry deserts, cattle ranches. The parts of Texas that geographically resemble Louisiana and Mississippi with humidity, swamps and greenery is a small chunk compared to the mostly spacious and semi-arid geography of the state. I'm not exactly in the desert here, but there's evidence of being not too far away. Cacti grow sporadically. The geography is drier, there's less trees, there's that frontier feel.

Yea, there's southern accents here, but that doesn't make Texas more like Alabama than like New Mexico, at least not in geography, which is what truly matters when calling some place "the west." You hear similar accents up in Wyoming and Montana, but no one's calling them the SOUTH at all! Texas is the southwest, and not calling it southwest is like not calling Pennsylvania the northeast, imho.
Texas is just another one of the South's diverse states. You may think that TX has nothing in common with AL, but what does NC or VA have in common with AL? Not much...all the states of each region have their own identity, and just because one is a bit different doesn't remove it from it's region. No one said that Texas has to be quintessentially southern to be part of the South.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:42 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,478,353 times
The west begins a few blocks west of downtown Dallas.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:49 AM

8,385 posts, read 8,379,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Texas is just another one of the South's diverse states. You may think that TX has nothing in common with AL, but what does NC or VA have in common with AL? Not much...all the states of each region have their own identity, and just because one is a bit different doesn't remove it from it's region. No one said that Texas has to be quintessentially southern to be part of the South.
Generally, Texas east of I-35 is "western/southern" - not including South Texas.

More particularly, east of Dallas & east/northeast of Bryan College Station it is southern.
East of Houston to Beaumont it is more Louisiana (which is different than southern).
West of I-35 is western "Texas-style".
South of New Braunfels it's Mexican/Tejano.
El Paso area is more like New Mexico western.

No other state as a whole is close to that cultural diversity. California & Florida are close though.

But hey, JMO.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:36 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,599,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Texas in many ways is a transition state. More southern than New Mexico, and much more western than Louisiana. I lived in Texas for a year, and on top of that I lived in the more "southern" area (Houston). Even there it felt very western to me, how the city was constructed looked very western sun-beltish if this makes sense. The Mexicans and central Americans, the higher number of asians. Ofc, when I took trips to Austin or San Antonio I felt to be in the west full-stop. Not even having to talk about El Paso. Beaumont feels more like the south. Fort Worth more like the west. Dallas, in a similar bucket as Houston, indeterminate.

NC/VA feels like Alabama with more money and northern transplants. Texas doesn't, it feels different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or