U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 04:54 PM

20,848 posts, read 35,948,307 times

Advertisements

Short grass prairie region, otherwise known as the High Plains- beings along and west of the 100 degree longitude line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 08:20 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,138,882 times
the rockies

Old 04-10-2016, 08:30 PM

5,548 posts, read 3,693,741 times
Where elevation begins could be another possible border. In this case, central Montana, eastern Wyoming, eastern Colorado, eastern New Mexico, and far west Texas could be the recipe.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:18 AM

5,835 posts, read 10,784,577 times
100th meridian is often used as a boundary where the west begins

Old 04-12-2016, 06:07 PM

34 posts, read 32,162 times
You're all over thinking this. You're not west until you hit mountains. Big mountains.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:18 AM

20,848 posts, read 35,948,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 775 View Post
You're all over thinking this. You're not west until you hit mountains. Big mountains.
That rule is not set in stone as areas east of the mountains have a semi-arid climate and ranching based economy (big sky) that has nothing in common with the eastern US. This is the High Plains region east of the Rockies up until the 100th meridian.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:58 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,940,524 times
I consider the western Plains region to be where the West starts. The dry air, flora and fauna, and lack of rain starts there... all traits I consider solely Western.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:55 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,325,473 times
When it comes to asking where the west begins, there are those who define the 100th meridian in this thread or where the mountains start. Then there are those like the last poster that think it's the western Plains region. I can see both sides of the argument. It is much easier to use a defined line, or a landmark, or a physical boundary to demarcate regions. Sort of like a land boundary of two states.

However, when you use the term "region", then you are talking about gradual transitions over land that cannot easily be defined. Think about Google maps. You can search by "Colorado" and you will render a vector feature of four straight lines intersecting at roughly right angles. But, when you change from the map view to the image view, the signatures of the pixels vary from one foot to the next, slightly different RGB values then the next foot to its right, left, north, south, or diagonal. The real world is depicted with imagery on a smaller unit of scale, a pixel. So you are capturing a continuous land surface, with smaller changes. This concept is important to think out when you are on the ground, driving a car. For instance, driving on I-70 from east to west, if you were accept the idea the front range of the Rockies emerged and surrounded your car, you could pretty much identify the spot just west of Denver where you began to ascend up the first large mountain in front of you. You could definitively declare that you were in the west, using this argument. If you go with the 100th parallel argument, you cross it just west of Wakeeney Kansas.

However, it's a little different if you want to define the beginning of the western Plains. Again, using I-70 east to west as an arbitrary example, where does the western Plains start? West of what mile marker in what state? I maintain it doesn't start at the Kansas-Colorado border. I think it's where you begin to lose whatever foliage remains on the ground. But where is that? I have somewhat concluded that on I-70, the western plains start about just west of Limon. That's when you really begin to see the sky open up, and the sight lines go on and on as the real bluffs begin, and the windmill turbines emerge. I don't know if anyone has ever shared that experience and agrees, or has some other point where the western Plains begins.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:59 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,732,432 times
Basically, where center pivot irrigation begins (western Plains, shortgrass prairie region, a couple hundred miles, plus or minus, east of the Rocky Mountain front range).

In reality it is more complex than that when defining the West in terms of human geography, but center pivot irrigation is a good correlation. And easy to look at on a satellite image of the United States on Google maps or equivalent.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:07 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,445,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 775 View Post
Small mountains actually. The Wichita mountains in Oklahoma seem quite western to me. Everything past that point is western in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or