U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 01:20 PM

12,510 posts, read 23,585,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Where does the Midwest and South change into the West?
It has been said that Dallas is where the East ends & Fort Worth is where the West begins.

I find this to be very true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
It's a major college town and college towns are weird, so it has this quirkiness to it. What are the suburbs like, though?
Young & conservative.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
San Antonio is probably the westernmost city I would consider truly Southern (because of its antebellum history).

Austin is weird in its own way. It doesn't really fit with either the South or the Southwest. I've always thought it had more of a west coast vibe but people from the west coast will staunchly disagree.
Austin hosts the South By Southwest music festival. Even its musical roots are Southern...Jazz, Soul, Rock, Country, etc.

The only thing West Coast about Austin are the people fleeing there from California who try to replicate their own little miniature version of California. Austin is still Texan at heart & that will never change no matter who moves there.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:29 PM

14,172 posts, read 23,234,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Sounds about right to me. Pretty much anything west of the Hill Country is definitely the West. Although some would argue that the west starts closer to the I-35 corridor.
To me(at least) it starts "feeling" like "the West" once you enter the Austin/San Antonio area. It starts feeling "western" well before you leave the Hill Country. To me, the Hill Country it's self feels "foreign" to anything you'd see in the Southeast, Upper South, Appalachian South, The Piedmont, The Deep South, or the Gulf South. BUT, having said that, the Hill Country, Austin, and SA still have Southern characteristics that separate it from anything you'd find in the Trans-Pecos Region of Texas(El Paso) and points West of there(NM, AZ, CA, NV).

The Black population in Austin and San Antonio are just as Southern as Blacks in Louisiana, Miss, Al, NC, SC, GA, etc, where as the Black pop.(from what I've heard) in states like NM, NV, and AZ are predominantly migrants from CA and take on Black Californian culture more so than Southern culture.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:53 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,469,959 times
Quote:
Austin is still Texan at heart & that will never change no matter who moves there.
Yeah, sure... that's what people said about northern Virginia staying "southern" back in the 1960's and 70's, when transplants started to flood in. It took a while, but...

Anyway, regarding the thread topic, you'll get different answers depending on which coast you poll. I don't think all that many west coasters would think of any part of Texas aside from the El Paso panhandle as "western," while those to the east of that region clearly do.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:44 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,306,878 times
Austin right now is one of America's favorite cities. People from all over the country are moving there and it is becoming a true melting pot. It's hard to really include it in a debate on whether its western or Southern or what, because its a little bit of everything. I probably would have considered early 1990s Austin to be Southern though.

Concerning I-35, I would say that areas west of I-35 are western, but the I-35 corridor itself is not. Leaving Austin out of the debate, San Antonio, DFW, and Oklahoma City are all very Southern cities.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:13 AM

7,853 posts, read 6,708,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

Concerning I-35, I would say that areas west of I-35 are western, but the I-35 corridor itself is not. Leaving Austin out of the debate, San Antonio, DFW, and Oklahoma City are all very Southern cities.
I would say that I-35 is where the transition starts occurring at least where I-35 is going due north and south.

And although I don't like the 100th meridian definition in terms of the fact that much of the great plains are east of it, I do think it is significant in that the terrain really starts tipping up about there as you enter the high plains.

Again, as another poster pointed out, this definition really rests on how you assign the plains region of the country. It really doesn't fit anything east of it or west of it in many ways.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:32 AM

21,241 posts, read 36,908,320 times
100 degrees west longitude is a good dividing line further south in the Plains and the Missouri River is a good dividing line in the Dakotas.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:56 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,419,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
It has been said that Dallas is where the East ends & Fort Worth is where the West begins.

I find this to be very true.
Exactly. And this was really the whole intent of the now famous Ft. Worth logo "Where the West Begins". It was never intended to mean "The South Stops Here". LOL And as you indicate, the fact the Dallas reply/retort was "Where the East Ends" bears this out...and they are important distinctions.

That is why I very much believe that when this question comes up ("where does the West begin"), it is important and relevant to explain/consider exactly what is being asked. As in (to repeat from an earlier post):

1. Does it mean where the West starts and the East ends? Or,

2. Where do the South and Midwest end and the West begin?

In so many ways, they are two different questions and considerations....

Old 06-02-2013, 02:12 PM

9,587 posts, read 18,947,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Exactly. And this was really the whole intent of the now famous Ft. Worth logo "Where the West Begins". It was never intended to mean "The South Stops Here". LOL And as you indicate, the fact the Dallas reply/retort was "Where the East Ends" bears this out...and they are important distinctions.

That is why I very much believe that when this question comes up ("where does the West begin"), it is important and relevant to explain/consider exactly what is being asked. As in (to repeat from an earlier post):

1. Does it mean where the West starts and the East ends? Or,

2. Where do the South and Midwest end and the West begin?

In so many ways, they are two different questions and considerations....
My guess would be some topographical and climactic changes. The West is often associated with frontiers and open horizons. To the West of Fort Worth the frontier begins and the big skies and horizons open up and it starts to get a bit more arid. To the east of Dallas are the piney forests, it gets greener and more humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or