Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 07:06 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

I ask because I use them quite often in my travels, and I actually find it annoying when a city doesn't have a user friendly bike share system.

I don't use the one in DC often because I have my own bike most of the time, but I can tell you it's VERY popular and quite comprehensive with over 2500 bikes (sure seems like a lot more than that) and 300 stations.

Maybe I should be asking if there are any large cities that don't have a bike share system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 07:39 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,060 times
I didn't even know we had a bike share here, apparently it is just starting up. It covers 5 cities right now & SF proper plans to have 3,000 bikes eventually.

Bay Area Bike Share shifts into expansion mode - SFGate

Old 05-25-2014, 07:49 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,108,256 times
https://www.thehubway.com/

Hubway in Boston. 140 stations with 1,300 bikes.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:55 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Here in the Twin Cities we have a bike share system called Nice Ride which has 170 stations and 1,550 bicycles across Minneapolis and Saint Paul.

Like most other places, bike sharing is outrageously popular here. On any given day from spring to fall, you'll see hordes of people riding neon green bicycles all over the city — especially around the Minneapolis Chain of Lakes, the Midtown Greenway, both downtowns, along the river fronts, and in the Como Park area of Saint Paul. If I didn't have my own bike, I'd use it myself!

Old 05-25-2014, 07:57 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Savannah started one this spring. So far it's mostly a tourist attraction.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:30 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
The system in Miami Beach is huge for such a tiny land area city and it's used a lot. I heard at a recent Miami Beach bike program community meeting (from the city's national bike infrastructure consultant) that DECOBike is the only system in the nation that is financially viable without public funding. I use it as my secondary transportation mode with my feet being my primary means and my car being tertiary.
DECOBike works because it's both effective for residents and tourists alike. Its density of stations puts bikes in reasonable walkable proximation to a majority of the residents and tourists alike. This means that most of stations are in South Beach where the highest density of people and resources are. I think the key to the a successful program is to put the bikes where the most people and resources are and provide the density of stations required to make the system truly successful. The absolutely wrong way to deploy a bike system is to cave into pressure by local low density neighborhoods across a city and put one station here and one station there: so far apart from each other that they don't work as an effective network.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:40 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Divvy in Chicago has gotten off pretty well. It has about 300 stations and over 3000 bikes (with more on the way) and is hugely popular, especially around tourist sites. There was actually a good article in the Trib today about not only integrating the system into the surrounding suburbs, but about how the area is close to connecting bike path networks across all three states of the metro area (IL, IN, WI).

https://www.divvybikes.com

Divvy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-25-2014, 09:01 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Citibike in NYC has 6,000 bikes and 42,000 daily riders. No wonder I can never find a bike near my office in the evening.

I've also used bike share in DC and Montreal. Jersey City and Hoboken are joining forces to develop a bike share system over here, not sure when it'll be available.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 PM

474 posts, read 530,005 times
Bay Area BikeShare really doesn't seem that popular at all. I've read that the average bike gets less than two rides a day- people here appear to use their own bikes much more frequently. I passed by a BikeShare near Jackson Street in San Francisco not too long ago and only about five bikes were taken. The program is expanding, though, and one can only expect it to become more popular in the years to come.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:04 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Very interesting. I didn't know about some of these. The NYC system is very new. I was just there this spring and they stations were just getting ready to open. I wonder if they have any logistics problems there such as no bikes available or no place to return a bike if stations are full etc. They have some huge stations there. I typically bring my own bike to NY, but would like to use the citi bike system next time I'm in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.