U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2014, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
3,179 posts, read 3,851,423 times
Reputation: 2478

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
Buffalo - without anybody really noticing, the city of Buffalo has incorporated the neighboring suburbs of Rochester, Syracuse, Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago to become the biggest city on the Great Lakes. Next, when Buffalo annexes NYC, it will be the biggest city on the planet.
Hahaha, I really hope this is a joke, because it's very funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2014, 04:45 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,223 posts, read 17,969,169 times
Reputation: 14673
The ultimate sleeping giant is Philadelphia. I don't think the city proper will get back to 2,000,000 people anytime soon, but it has room to grow without being completely bombed out, and it also has more money than people realize, which means that minor improvements should put it firmly into "elite city" status. It's becoming younger, richer and more diverse as we speak, which gives it the inside track. Demographically speaking, I believe that Philadelphia will change the most of all metropolitan areas with at least 5,000,000 population.

On a related note, I also believe that Pennsylvania will change the most of all states with at least 8,000,000 population. It's rapidly falling down the list of the oldest states, and will fall entirely out of the top 10 by 2020. It has the fastest-growing black population of all its peer states (Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio), and it's on pace for over 500,000 Asians and 1,000,000 Hispanics by 2020. In fact, I'd wager that Asian population growth will accelerate since Pennsylvania now has a burgeoning Bhutanese and Nepali population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2014, 09:28 PM
 
640 posts, read 672,065 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I'd argue that Pittsburgh is already starting to wake up.
Yeah I definitely agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2014, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,321,280 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
I think some people in here don't really know what the meaning of a "Sleeping Giant" is. Let me educate some of yall, a sleeping giant is a city that was once a power that feel off for whatever reason and now is trying to reinvent/resurrect itself. In that case the REAL sleeping giants are:

Detroit
New Orleans
Pittsburg
St. Louis
I do not think a "Sleeping Giant" had to once be a powerhouse to qualify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2014, 10:03 PM
 
640 posts, read 672,065 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The ultimate sleeping giant is Philadelphia. I don't think the city proper will get back to 2,000,000 people anytime soon, but it has room to grow without being completely bombed out, and it also has more money than people realize, which means that minor improvements should put it firmly into "elite city" status. It's becoming younger, richer and more diverse as we speak, which gives it the inside track. Demographically speaking, I believe that Philadelphia will change the most of all metropolitan areas with at least 5,000,000 population.



On a related note, I also believe that Pennsylvania will change the most of all states with at least 8,000,000 population. It's rapidly falling down the list of the oldest states, and will fall entirely out of the top 10 by 2020. It has the fastest-growing black population of all its peer states (Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio), and it's on pace for over 500,000 Asians and 1,000,000 Hispanics by 2020. In fact, I'd wager that Asian population growth will accelerate since Pennsylvania now has a burgeoning Bhutanese and Nepali population.


Yeah but Philly has never fell off to the extent of some of the cities I mentioned. Philly has been pretty steady and solid, so they've never really went to sleep. I get your point though in that Philly can be more of a giant than they already are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2014, 10:55 PM
 
1,709 posts, read 1,676,130 times
Reputation: 1838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I do not think a "Sleeping Giant" had to once be a powerhouse to qualify.
I'd say they have to be. A sleeping giant implies that the giant was once awake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2014, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,213 posts, read 2,835,064 times
Reputation: 4502
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore if it can get a handle on the crime.
My son is always championing Baltimore lol...nothing wrong with that!

A year ago I said that I really think New Orleans will rise again. I also agree with Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and even possibly Cleveland....

I would love to see my beloved Upstate NY cities rise again. Rochester is the closest, but I don't think it's at a level to call a "sleeping giant". But Roc and Albany are both approaching a level of notoriety that hasnt been seen in either in a long time...hopefully, Buffalo is able to turn it around one day. One of the great American cities (like those other Rust Belt cities) stuck in free-fall...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2014, 01:38 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
1,012 posts, read 1,185,629 times
Reputation: 612
Charlotte nc

Charlotte’s growth rate of 2.4 percent between 2012 and 2013 also outpaced Raleigh’s rate of 2 percent, a pattern that has held steady over the past several years

The city is the fastest growing In the state and now the 16th largest city in USA moving up the largest cities Chart. Charlotte is Indeed booming again and very much a sleeping giant that's awoken with a vengeance . Unemployment has dropped tremendously and showing now Signs of leveling off. There is high rises and construction everywhere. The construction of the blue line extension and they just started with the gold line from center city. People and Ncdot can't even predict Charlotte's growth pattern because people are moving here like roaches multiply and we all know how they do. Charlotte is seriously a force on the rising and a serious contender In the south.Charlotte has reawaken with a new groove and she's not quiet about it at all.


Census numbers show Charlotte now 16th largest city in U.S. by population
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.U5FxxvldVGk

Mecklenburg growth rate continues to outpace neighboring counties (7.3)%
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.U5F2ivldVGl

French firm Team Créatif bringing U.S. HQ, jobs to Charlotte
http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...q-jobs-to.html

Unemployment in metro Charlotte drops to 6%
http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...rops-to-6.html

Charlotte transit execs detail light-rail construction plans (BLUE LINE)
LRT extension of the current line will be completed by 2017 and is an additional $1.2billion that will spawn more construction
http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte....html?page=all

Green light for phase 2 of Lynx (Gold Line)
http://www.wcnc.com/video/featured-v...247285701.html

Mayor, council get close-up glimpse of CLT expansion (PHOTOS)
the airport in Charlotte s under a $1.5billion expansion to be completed by 2019
http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...se-of-clt.html

Last edited by choloboy36; 06-06-2014 at 02:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2014, 06:09 AM
 
1,709 posts, read 1,676,130 times
Reputation: 1838
The thread asks for sleeping giants. Charlotte is awake. Also, I don't think it's a giant-not yet at least. It's still got some more growth to do before it can be in the same league as the classic 20th century big cities. Charlotte is certainly a major player right now, but it will earn full respect as a city when the growth spurt is over and the dust has settled and it remains a force to be reckoned with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2014, 07:57 AM
 
56,672 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Reputation: 12521
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
My son is always championing Baltimore lol...nothing wrong with that!

A year ago I said that I really think New Orleans will rise again. I also agree with Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and even possibly Cleveland....

I would love to see my beloved Upstate NY cities rise again. Rochester is the closest, but I don't think it's at a level to call a "sleeping giant". But Roc and Albany are both approaching a level of notoriety that hasnt been seen in either in a long time...hopefully, Buffalo is able to turn it around one day. One of the great American cities (like those other Rust Belt cities) stuck in free-fall...
If all of the projected investment goes through in Buffalo, I think it could come back steadily. It sounds like there has been signs of investment recently. So, we'll see what happens.

Syracuse is like this as well and its location, along with its college presence could help in order for it to be discovered again.

I think that a city like Lansing MI, which is a state capital with a major university in East Lansing, could be like similar areas that are currently popular, if it can do similar things that allowed for those other areas to grow.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-06-2014 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top