U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:57 AM

3,770 posts, read 2,561,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Relies too much on tourism. The Orlando of Texas.
How is San Antonio a tourist city? Right everybody is packing their bags to go vacation in San Antonio. Just because they have a few theme park doesn't make them a Tourist city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 09:22 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,833,476 times
You guys have to keep in mind that America is ever-changing. If our history as a country show us anything, it is that by and large, the cities that were of elite status/important cities 100 years ago, are not viewed in that same light today. Buffalo, anyone? Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, New Orleans; duly noted...this list can carry on. Technology creates growth in different venues and spurs population trends in areas least thought of. So in the realm of this convo in which cities are "sleeping giants", I think we have to keep in context that most of the things we are seeing in our respective cities today will not hold 30 years from now, let alone 100, and/or some of the cities with this enormous growth will see a reversal of fortune. Neither of us know enough to say which cities will stand and which will go, so this is really a tricky question to answer....

For my two cents, there are only three cities in the South that I really see as "sleeping giants": Houston, for reasons earlier mentioned; Miami, for reasons obvious; and I honestly believe that New Orleans is setting itself up for an astounding comeback as a premier American city. It can be argued that it never dropped from that stature, because New Orleans at its worst never dropped out of the top 50 cities in the country. Nobody is really paying as much attention to NO as they are to some of the cities mentioned n this thread. Obviously, there is still plenty of work to be done, but there is no plausible reason, at present, to believe that New Orleans will not be approaching its best years in half a century....and with that, some of the cities you all have mentioned on this list are just laughable. I'll leave that alone, though ...

What I will comment on is Carolina, which as a collective is in a boomtown phase, and many of its cities have been for some time. When speaking of Charlotte and Raleigh, you have to be able to differentiate between "sleeping giant" and "boomtown". Both are wonderful cities and deserving of the attention and accolades they are receiving, no doubt, but if there are any cities in NC with sleeping giant qualities they are Winston-Salem (current pop. 232,000) and Greenville (current pop. 86,000). Now, neither of these cities will ever be on the upper echelon of American cities internationally, but both have a burgeoning rep regionally, and arguably are just as important, if not moreso, to NC's future economically/politically/demographically/culturally as Charlotte and Raleigh. Charlotte and Raleigh will continue this boomtown thing for a little while longer, but they'll level off at some point. And have you been to either? I like both, but growth and activism notwithstanding, neither are "blow your socks off" cities...

Watch out for Charleston, too. I dont see them as a sleeping giant, but I see them the same way I see Rochester, NY. Both are on a trajectory for a great turnaround...

P.S. when I speak of sleeping giants, I limit that to cities with the potential to become of elite status. Which is why my list for the South is limited to Houston, New Orleans, and Miami. Other cities will continue a steady growth, but I cant see them ever reaching an alpha level status. And there are cities in other regions of the country who are burgeoning as well. I'll speak on the Northeast states later lol...

Old 06-07-2013, 12:06 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
I wasn't implying San Antonio relies solely on tourism. But the city labels itself as a tourism city more than anything else, which is where my reference to Orlando came in.
Really? Do you have examples of this?

Old 06-07-2013, 12:12 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,621,434 times
Jacksonville, Florida is a sleeping giant. It's literally asleep though...

Some day it might wake up and go on a Northern Florida rampage crushing St. Augustine and Palm Coast...

Old 06-07-2013, 12:25 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,975,343 times
Jax Metro already includes St Augustine and Palm Coast...

Old 06-07-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Jax Metro already includes St Augustine and Palm Coast...
I was just referring to the city itself... It was sort of a joke.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,988,840 times
My vote is for Detroit, but not for another 30 or 40 years, until things really bottom out. I think Detroit will become a hipster Disneyland. I believe Jacksonville has potential as well due to its coastal location and established infrastructure, including plenty of room to grow.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
My vote is for Detroit, but not for another 30 or 40 years, until things really bottom out. I think Detroit will become a hipster Disneyland.
It's weird to think of what hipsters will be like in 30 to 40 years. They will be into some crazy retro versions of the 2010s and 2020s...

Old 06-07-2013, 06:55 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,115,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
How is San Antonio a tourist city? Right everybody is packing their bags to go vacation in San Antonio. Just because they have a few theme park doesn't make them a Tourist city.
San Antonio is a tourist destination for Texas & other states in the South Central region of the country (Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, etc.)

Old 06-07-2013, 07:42 PM

1,795 posts, read 2,568,652 times
San Antonio is more than just a few water parks, it also has the Alamo, the River walk, and the Missions... just to name a few. But overall San Antonio doesn't rely on that many tourist as you would see in Orlando, & Las Vegas which isn't a bad thing. If anything San Antonio is more like San Diego than Orlando IMO, both are historic, have theme parks, affiliated with a large presence of the military.

Last edited by JoninATX; 06-07-2013 at 07:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or