U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 05:46 AM

1,356 posts, read 2,300,762 times

Advertisements

Many Southern cities try and call itself "Hollywood South". New Orleans is just one to add to the list.

Atlanta boosterism alive and well in 'Hollywood of the South' pilot season | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Charlotte makes a run at becoming the Hollywood of the south | WCNC.com Charlotte

Hollywood of the East - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.amerikeyrealty.com/is-nas...new-hollywood/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 07:01 AM

10,827 posts, read 9,485,339 times

They may call themselves "Hollywood of the South" but New Orleans is. It's the only city giving LA a run for its money:

As Filmmaking Surges, New Orleans Becoming Serious Challenger To L.A. - Forbes

Old 06-10-2013, 01:05 PM

6,329 posts, read 7,008,106 times
Default Jacksonville was the original Hollywood.

hehe, i'm talking a couple lifetimes ago and no, we're obviously not ever gonna reclaim that title.

Before there was Hollywood, there was Jacksonville - USATODAY.com

Action! A century of moviemaking in Jacksonville | Jacksonville.com

History of Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 PM

29,989 posts, read 27,535,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
They may call themselves "Hollywood of the South" but New Orleans is. It's the only city giving LA a run for its money:

As Filmmaking Surges, New Orleans Becoming Serious Challenger To L.A. - Forbes
Not true.

Atlanta stealing L.A.’s thunder? | The Buzz

Atlanta the new Hollywood | The Journal Gazette

“Atlanta is the new Hollywood”: Influx of film and TV production boosts economy, attracts actors | ArtsATL

Is Atlanta the new Hollywood of the South?

Neither New Orleans or Atlanta are going to displace Los Angeles, but you're woefully misinformed if you think that New Orleans is the only city with a rapidly rising profile in TV and film.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:01 PM

740 posts, read 1,022,856 times
"What City is a Sleeping Giant?"

Now, this is just my opinion.... I don't have stats, articles, blueprints, charts, proposals or anything to prove anything.... so don't ask for it. This is just my own opinion....

The City or Cities:

Detroit.... I think it's a diamond in the rough

Charlotte

Phoenix

Old 06-10-2013, 08:55 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,161,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not true.

Atlanta stealing L.A.’s thunder? | The Buzz

Atlanta the new Hollywood | The Journal Gazette

“Atlanta is the new Hollywood”: Influx of film and TV production boosts economy, attracts actors | ArtsATL

Is Atlanta the new Hollywood of the South?

Neither New Orleans or Atlanta are going to displace Los Angeles, but you're woefully misinformed if you think that New Orleans is the only city with a rapidly rising profile in TV and film.
All I know is there is constant filming going on here. It's become a week to week thing here.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 PM

29,989 posts, read 27,535,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
All I know is there is constant filming going on here. It's become a week to week thing here.
It really is. It's crazy that I'm starting to see more and more movies that were filmed here that I didn't know about. Just saw Flight the other day (I'm catching up as you can see) and in the opening scene I was like, "Wait a minute, isn't that that hotel out by Hartsfield?" Driving through the city, sometimes I think traffic is being held up due to construction or an accident when it's actually due to filming.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:40 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,161,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It really is. It's crazy that I'm starting to see more and more movies that were filmed here that I didn't know about. Just saw Flight the other day (I'm catching up as you can see) and in the opening scene I was like, "Wait a minute, isn't that that hotel out by Hartsfield?" Driving through the city, sometimes I think traffic is being held up due to construction or an accident when it's actually due to filming.
Yep. In the last two months I've seen four signs in the Buckhead vicinity directing people to 'Crew Parking'.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 PM
HKB

220 posts, read 710,078 times
Greenville, SC
Nashville, TN
Pittsburgh, PA

Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 PM

6,420 posts, read 10,896,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKB View Post
Greenville, SC
Nashville, TN
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't think Nashville is in the "sleeping" category anymore. It may not be booming the way Austin and Charlotte are, but it has had more than 2 decades of rapid growth. I think it was more true in the 90s, but not in the last decade. Probably most true in the 80s right before the boom started.

Pittsburgh is a good choice, though. I think the city is quietly improving in a lot of ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or