U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 PM

821 posts, read 1,253,771 times

Advertisements

I know TV court shows aren't the best representation of people, but I've heard black defendants on People's Court from Buffalo, NY, and they had the northern cities vowel shift. However, it seems like the majority of blacks from Chicago do not have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 11:32 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,648,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Northern cities vowel shift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

American Accent Undergoing Great Vowel Shift : NPR

Don't know if it could be called an accent, maybe the Great Lakes accent, but it's most noticeable in words like 'black' and 'bad.' Many in the region who have it don't really notice it, but people from elsewhere can often identify if someone is from Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo or Milwaukee by this accent.

I haven't visited the region, but it seems that it doesn't seem to be as widespread among other races as white people. I don't think it's a class thing, like the NY accent, where it's milder in the rich. Most urban blacks in Chicago etc have a kind of southern accent. What about say Asian or other non-whites who live in the Great Lakes?

Is the NCVS spreading to the younger generation of non-blacks?
Do you have any youtube videos that explain this? What isVowelShift?

How are they saying 'black' or 'bad ?

Old 05-31-2013, 02:02 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post

Listen to the broadcast interview with Labov.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:11 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
I had to listen to myself say the "cat" vs "kee-at" example given by Wikipedia. I was born in Chicago and lived there for 32 years. For those 32 years I suppose I said kee-at. I definetly had the vowel shift.

But after 35 years in Portland OR, I know say "cat." I asked my friend and she verifed it. For a lot of people what they hear is what they speak. Even if they don't realize it.

My sister moved to LA about 15 years ago. She still has the vowel shift in her speech. It sounds odd to me now.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I had to listen to myself say the "cat" vs "kee-at" example given by Wikipedia. I was born in Chicago and lived there for 32 years. For those 32 years I suppose I said kee-at. I definetly had the vowel shift.

But after 35 years in Portland OR, I know say "cat." I asked my friend and she verifed it. For a lot of people what they hear is what they speak. Even if they don't realize it.

My sister moved to LA about 15 years ago. She still has the vowel shift in her speech. It sounds odd to me now.
The Vowel shift is only in the north and east cost?

Old 06-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Listen to the broadcast interview with Labov.
I was looking for some youtube videos of both vowel shift and non vowel shift.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Think of how actor John Goodman speaks. Pure Chicago with the "a" sounds. Or find an audio speech by former Mayor Richard J Daley.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Think of how actor John Goodman speaks. Pure Chicago with the "a" sounds. Or find an audio speech by former Mayor Richard J Daley.
Trouble is I don't really know what to listen to.

John Goodman "Flight" Interview! [HD] - YouTube

John Goodman speaks about MSU - YouTube

John Goodman on Jimmy Kimmel Live PART 1 - YouTube

May be you can point out words he saying with the Vowel Shift?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,142,569 times
Quote:
The Vowel shift is only in the north and east cost?
Great Lakes, not East Coast. So, it goes to Rochester/Buffalo out east.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Trouble is I don't really know what to listen to.

May be you can point out words he saying with the Vowel Shift?
Okay, I listened to the Jimmy Kimmel interviews and I'll be darned if he hasn't lost a large part of it. So I went back and found this.

Roseanne - John Goodman - A candid interview - YouTube

Much better because it's from his old "Roseanne" days.

Now listen for the words, Fresh, had, that, job, popular, has, Dan, and God. Pay attention the vowel sounds. The first vowel sound in the word popular. Then think of how you would say the words. If you had someone speak the difference for you, you would hear it.

Another person whose speech you can hear it in is the show Mike and Molly which takes place in Chicago is Lewis Mustillo who plays the role of Molly's stepdad. He is from Buffalo but they do the vowel shift sound too. So does Billy Guardino who plays Mike who I think is from Chicago.

Last edited by Minervah; 06-04-2013 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.