U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 04:43 PM

3,029 posts, read 2,465,016 times

Advertisements

Here's some trivia:

Without cheating, what were the five fastest growing states in the last 50 years (1960 census - 2010 census?)

A couple might surprise you (or maybe not.)

Bonus if you can name the five slowest growing (or fastest declining) states in the last 50 years.

Also, this is by percentage growth, not numeric growth.

Last edited by Sharks With Lasers; 05-30-2013 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 04:53 PM

7,385 posts, read 13,238,791 times
Guessing here...

Fastest growing has to be New York, California, Texas, Florida... and I'm going to say... Virginia.

Declining: Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan are the ones that I can think of.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Guessing here...

Fastest growing has to be New York, California, Texas, Florida... and I'm going to say... Virginia.

Declining: Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan are the ones that I can think of.
Since I've now specified it to be percent population growth, I will let you know that only one of your fastest growing listed is in the Top 5. (If it were by numeric growth, it would be three of them.)

For your slowest growing, only one is correct as well.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:09 PM

416 posts, read 570,970 times
Percentages...

Fastest:
Nevada, Arizona, Florida, Georgia?

Declining: West Virginia, Maine, Rhode Island, Ohio?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
Percentages...

Fastest:
Nevada, Arizona, Florida, Georgia?

Declining: West Virginia, Maine, Rhode Island, Ohio?
3/5 for the fastest
1/5 for the slowest

Old 05-30-2013, 05:35 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,225,187 times
I'll bite...

Fastest growing...

Florida....or flahriduhh for the new jokers and new ursee residents....a way for new jokers to say, I surrender...can't take another tax hike or slush ball to the face. Besides, you get tired of seeing people **** in the alleys of manhattan...

Texas. Yeehaw....and why not? No state income tax and everyone is doing better than they really are. Just ask them...

Georgia. They had little place to go but up. Once they got past that infrastrucure thing and installed the worlds busiest airport, voila. Besides those women sure are purdeee. The answer to the pock marked women from sheeee cah goooo with "hail damage" on their rear ends...get a tan, will ya?

Arizona. The next LA. Redneck meets taco. If your a woman, you can dance with cowboys enroute to the tapas bar. Like a sophisticated Tijuana. Ole'.

Virginia. Who couldn't appreciate a government job now? Their housing prices despite the economy is a good indicator...

Biggest losers......

Michigan. Where to start. Ever since the HNIC f'd Detroit and Japan kicked the living bejesus out of the US auto manufacturers, I'd say this one earns top billing of how not to do it right. If you are looking to watch your business fail or mirror the titanic on your IPO, this is the place. Bet. This coupled with that b actor what's his name doing commercials for the state cinches pit.

Ohio. See Michigan.

California. Guessing here but, when the worlds 8th largest GDP says they are broke, someone is losing a trailer somewhere. It's so bad now, one uses their foodstamps card like a MasterCard. Personal accountability is something considered passť and left for Republicans. Pelosi still thinks everyone is "okay" and the likes of Barbara Boxer and Maxine Waters have gainful and consistent employment. Hey, we had that lunatic Cynthia McKinney but even SHE got clipped eventually. Take our lead, dump them.

Louisiana. Having been born there I can tell you entirely without reservation, if they aren't leaving, they should be. Having dealt with their "business leaders" on a personal basis to install new infrastructure, they all but admit its corrupt, you are going to pay twice the normal kickbacks and they don't give a flying f if their citizens advance or not. It's hopeless. Born in Lake Charles. Yes, coonass by birth, escapee by luck. It may not be the end of the world but, you can sure see it from there....

New York. It's where Florida gets their fill so now both suck. You used to have to go to new York to get treated like crap for a premium. Nowadays, Broward County will do...when you have a mayor who will change the rules to get elected for a third term only to change the rules back once reelected, you know you are screwed. How much real estate can one take dahlinggsuh? Good thing Sandy came to town. It went from a disaster to the Marshall plan for New York and New Ursey.... Mission accomplished. 62 billion....really? Really?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
I'll bite...

Fastest growing...

Florida....or flahriduhh for the new jokers and new ursee residents....a way for new jokers to say, I surrender...can't take another tax hike or slush ball to the face. Besides, you get tired of seeing people **** in the alleys of manhattan...

Texas. Yeehaw....and why not? No state income tax and everyone is doing better than they really are. Just ask them...

Georgia. They had little place to go but up. Once they got past that infrastrucure thing and installed the worlds busiest airport, voila. Besides those women sure are purdeee. The answer to the pock marked women from sheeee cah goooo with "hail damage" on their rear ends...get a tan, will ya?

Arizona. The next LA. Redneck meets taco. If your a woman, you can dance with cowboys enroute to the tapas bar. Like a sophisticated Tijuana. Ole'.

Virginia. Who couldn't appreciate a government job now? Their housing prices despite the economy is a good indicator...

Biggest losers......

Michigan. Where to start. Ever since the HNIC f'd Detroit and Japan kicked the living bejesus out of the US auto manufacturers, I'd say this one earns top billing of how not to do it right. If you are looking to watch your business fail or mirror the titanic on your IPO, this is the place. Bet. This coupled with that b actor what's his name doing commercials for the state cinches pit.

Ohio. See Michigan.

California. Guessing here but, when the worlds 8th largest GDP says they are broke, someone is losing a trailer somewhere. It's so bad now, one uses their foodstamps card like a MasterCard. Personal accountability is something considered passť and left for Republicans. Pelosi still thinks everyone is "okay" and the likes of Barbara Boxer and Maxine Waters have gainful and consistent employment. Hey, we had that lunatic Cynthia McKinney but even SHE got clipped eventually. Take our lead, dump them.

Louisiana. Having been born there I can tell you entirely without reservation, if they aren't leaving, they should be. Having dealt with their "business leaders" on a personal basis to install new infrastructure, they all but admit its corrupt, you are going to pay twice the normal kickbacks and they don't give a flying f if their citizens advance or not. It's hopeless. Born in Lake Charles. Yes, coonass by birth, escapee by luck. It may not be the end of the world but, you can sure see it from there....

New York. It's where Florida gets their fill so now both suck. You used to have to go to new York to get treated like crap for a premium. Nowadays, Broward County will do...when you have a mayor who will change the rules to get elected for a third term only to change the rules back once reelected, you know you are screwed. How much real estate can one take dahlinggsuh? Good thing Sandy came to town. It went from a disaster to the Marshall plan for New York and New Ursey.... Mission accomplished. 62 billion....really? Really?
This sounds more like a prediction than anything, but over the past 50 years, you have:

2/5 fastest growing
1/5 slowest growing and/or declining

Old 05-30-2013, 05:50 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
Louisiana, which is growing by the deposit of Midwestern topsoil coming down the Mississippi River and being deposited as new territory extending out into the Gulf of Mexico.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...92017&t=h&z=10

Old 05-30-2013, 05:51 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,042,049 times
Fastest growing? My guess would be Arizona, Nevada, Texas, Florida, and North Carolina.

Declining? New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Fastest growing? My guess would be Arizona, Nevada, Texas, Florida, and North Carolina.

Declining? New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan.
3/5 fastest growing
2/5 slowest growing or declining

Reminder for everyone: this is over the past 50 years, not the past 10-20 or so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.