U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 05:11 PM

654 posts, read 1,295,812 times

Advertisements

Ultra music festival in Miami is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 08:34 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,347,125 times
Chicago was probably the ultimate city for the dance music I liked 10 years ago (think Eurodance/trance). Think DJ Markski.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:32 PM

3,752 posts, read 3,857,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
LA is definitely king of the electronic scene right now. After that, you have NYC, Miami, and Chicago. SF and DC are pretty good for it as well.
Depends what you mean by electronic music though. My girlfriend's brother is a big EDM fan and he goes to concerts and shows literally every weekend. And on holidays NYC has several big shows with big name stars in that music genre. I can't see any other city in the US with that big of a scene, because basically EVERY artist foreign or domestic plays in NY. Just FYI, I'd say most EDM concerts are actually in Brooklyn nowadays, not in Manhattan. I'd say its a 70/30 split. If you are talking about techno and stuff I can see LA or Miami having better scene than NYC.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:01 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,394,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Depends on what you mean by "electronic." If you mean techno/dance/club type electronic music, probably LA.

If you mean downtempo, electronica, and trip-hop, I would have to go with Washington DC, the hometown of Thievery Corporation, Thunderball, and the ESL record label!
This.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Deep Dish is also from DC.

The scene there was more localized, not on a national level.

With NYC being so close by it kinda by default stole the spotlight for the whole entire East Coast.
Moombahton and Moombahcore (subgenre of Moombahton) have garnered an impressive international following since they've been created from DC around 2009/2010. Moombahton is a House fusion subgenre that blends the styles of Electro House, Reggaeton, and Trap (Hip Hop subgenre).

It's off-shoot subgenre Moombahcore incorporates elements of Dutch House, Gabber, Breakbeat, Techstep, Dubstep, and Wobble Bass along with the elements that form the backbone of its mother sound, Moombahton.

Here's an example of the two House music subgenres respectively:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tJxwmoaYYZI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kzqlO8DaST0

Old 12-24-2014, 05:38 PM

Never really gave Detroit Techno a listen to...It sounds really nice and organic...Love the Industrial influences too, just screams Detroit.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:09 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,258,951 times
Historic musical genre origins of US cities played in clubs around the country over the decades.

Chicago = origin of House (ie Can You Feel It, This is Acid etc)
source: House music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Detroit = origin of Techno/Electro (evolved with Detroit)
source: Techno - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro_(music)

Detroit's 1983 signature classic electro song played in clubs around the country back in the day:

NYC = origin of Disco/ Hip Hop/ Freestyle(evolved with Miami)/Electro source:
source: Disco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
source: Hip hop music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
source: Freestyle music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro_(music)

NYC's 1983 signature classic electro song played in clubs around the country back in the day:

Philly: origin of Disco evolved with NYC
source: Disco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NYC's most famous house track of all time played around the country: House Music All Night Long by the Jungle Brothers

Miami = origin of Freestyle (evolved with NYC)/Miami Bass
source: Freestyle music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
source: Miami bass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DC = origin of Moombahton (this genre is quite new and great beats for my workouts))
source: Moombahton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-24-2014, 06:18 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,258,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Moombahton and Moombahcore (subgenre of Moombahton) have garnered an impressive international following since they've been created from DC around 2009/2010. Moombahton is a House fusion subgenre that blends the styles of Electro House, Reggaeton, and Trap (Hip Hop subgenre).

It's off-shoot subgenre Moombahcore incorporates elements of Dutch House, Gabber, Breakbeat, Techstep, Dubstep, and Wobble Bass along with the elements that form the backbone of its mother sound, Moombahton.

Here's an example of the two House music subgenres respectively:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tJxwmoaYYZI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kzqlO8DaST0
Great mix I actually listen to the first one video during my workouts. I'm a new fan of the Moombah genre.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:55 AM

37 posts, read 38,611 times
Most big CA cities, New York Cit and Miami

Old 12-29-2014, 05:02 PM
MPC

695 posts, read 988,994 times
Definitely LA, you could make an argument for South Beach but not Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.