U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 12:47 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,523,567 times

Advertisements

Used to be a few in Portland but there are none here currently.

Portland people get ticked when a Dunkin' Donuts ad appears. Some get ticked because they think that means they're coming, some get ticked because they're not here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 09:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,750 posts, read 54,373,866 times
We had one in Redmond, WA that closed up about 10 years ago and is now a smoothie place. We have a newer local chain with a new store in that area, called Top Pot Donuts that is many times better.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:17 PM

22,653 posts, read 28,660,433 times
I'm trying to remember if I've seen any sort of donut shop in my town, or surrounding towns, I don't think they exist.

I think that some of the grocery store bakeries make and sell donuts. Most of them don't. I don't think this is a donut eating area.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:49 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,501,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I've seen a few of them in Arizona, but that's about it. I live in Massachusetts where the headquarters are. Frankly I don't see what anyone see's in the chain. There are so many here, its really a disgrace. There are at least 2 or 3 every mile or so. It's no wonder so many obese people live here. It makes me sick here to see so many obese people sitting around eating DD. Even the sports arena in Providence, RI is named the Dunkin Donuts Center. It's as if DD is the patron saint of New England. You can't escape Dunkin Donuts here, but I just can't see the market for them in California. Different type of population, although I imagine DD would get some customers on the West Coast. Especially those prone to that type of diet. I have only been to them a few times in my entire life.
I agree Dunkin Donuts isn't the best (though I do miss it since I can't ever have it down here), but you're pretty off-base with your statement "no wonder so many obese people live here". When it comes to obesity rates, Massachusetts is the 5th lowest in the US, while California is 8th.

Also, to the West Coasters, while the name "donut" appears in the name, Dunky's is more about coffee and breakfast sandwiches than it is donuts. A sausage, egg & cheese on a bagel is a fantastic artery clogging, hangover helping breakfast.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:50 PM

7,991 posts, read 16,045,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I've seen a few of them in Arizona, but that's about it. I live in Massachusetts where the headquarters are. Frankly I don't see what anyone see's in the chain. There are so many here, its really a disgrace. There are at least 2 or 3 every mile or so. It's no wonder so many obese people live here. It makes me sick here to see so many obese people sitting around eating DD. Even the sports arena in Providence, RI is named the Dunkin Donuts Center. It's as if DD is the patron saint of New England. You can't escape Dunkin Donuts here, but I just can't see the market for them in California. Different type of population, although I imagine DD would get some customers on the West Coast. Especially those prone to that type of diet. I have only been to them a few times in my entire life.
Agreed (except the obesity part... that's sort of out of left field). I pass the original store almost every day (it's in Quincy). A friend of mine in the Navy says one just opened or is about to open in San Diego and he's thrilled. My sister lives in San Francisco and she hates Dunkin Donuts, but she feels compelled to have it each time she comes home "just because it seems like the right thing to do."

Personally, I find it to be garbage. The West Coast has a better coffee culture for the most part than the East Coast, so I think that is a hindrance to Dunkin's success out that way. I do think it'll catch on though because it is cheap, slightly better than gas station coffee, and it's fast. I love a good coffee as much as the next guy, but I don't always have time to stand in line and wait for a fresh brew. Even the difference in wait times between Dunkin and Starbucks are surprising. Unless you order a hot food item, your coffee is usually handed to you at Dunkin Donuts before you finish paying. You almost always have to wait a few minutes at Starbucks.

As a result, I really don't like Dunkin Donuts, but I do find myself in a Dunkin Donuts more than I care to admit. It's almost as if Dunkin Donuts is the Walmart of coffee stores (making Starbucks the Target... slightly better, a little more expensive, and a slightly more upscale atmosphere). As much as I despise it, I can't completely escape it. I've never understood the fascination with Dunkin Donuts though. For East Coast transplants on the West Coast, it has to be a nostalgia thing. No way is it better than the coffee they'd find on almost any corner in a West Coast city.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:02 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,501,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
For East Coast transplants on the West Coast, it has to be a nostalgia thing. No way is it better than the coffee they'd find on almost any corner in a West Coast city.
Even though I'm not on the West Coast, I can say it definitely is a nostalgia thing. Brasil is a country known for its high quality coffee, and it's certainly amazing. When my parents visited they raved every morning about the coffee and I really do like it a lot...yet I still long for Dunky's. When I visited last year, I was drinking it by the bucket. There's just something about it I love and need. It's like candy.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:20 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,341,777 times
Well, DD is gonna be in the Bay Area soon, though they won't say where.

Dunkin' Donuts Is Coming to the Bay Area - Coming Attractions - Eater SF

Old 05-21-2014, 09:49 PM

1,977 posts, read 2,866,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We had one in Redmond, WA that closed up about 10 years ago and is now a smoothie place. We have a newer local chain with a new store in that area, called Top Pot Donuts that is many times better.
Yep! If we're going to eat a donut, we want it to be a damn good donut! Top Pot, Frost, Mighty-O are all awesome donut places in the Seattle area. But in general the West Coast has fewer, or at least a little healthier vibe, fast food chain restaurants.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:46 AM

7,991 posts, read 16,045,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Even though I'm not on the West Coast, I can say it definitely is a nostalgia thing. Brasil is a country known for its high quality coffee, and it's certainly amazing. When my parents visited they raved every morning about the coffee and I really do like it a lot...yet I still long for Dunky's. When I visited last year, I was drinking it by the bucket. There's just something about it I love and need. It's like candy.
Haha yeah. I understand that. I know it's not the same thing, but when I'm away for a while I crave Legal Seafood's clam chowder. It's not the best chowder in New England and I openly loathe Legal Seafood, but I go for it every time I come home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Well, DD is gonna be in the Bay Area soon, though they won't say where.

Dunkin' Donuts Is Coming to the Bay Area - Coming Attractions - Eater SF
Hopefully it's at Fisherman's Wharf right next to Ripley's, the Wax Museum and In-N-Out. It's clientele will largely be tourists from the East and Midwest who will go for the familiarity and novelty of getting a coffee at "the Bay Area's ONLY Dunkin Donuts!"

Old 05-22-2014, 10:36 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,014,398 times
I used to love DD. But on my last visit to NY, they did not taste the same. Probably because of NY laws banning transfats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or