Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2013, 12:51 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,340 times

Advertisements

Seattle and Denver have(or used to have) a Midwestern like feel in architecture and the local term for soda is "pop" instead of "soda" in the rest of the West. And Long Beach, CA was considered "Iowa by the Sea" by the significant amount of Midwestern migrants to the city.

So what is the most Midwestern like city in culture and feel that's not on the Midwest? I'm considering the whole region from Ohio to Kansas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 01:14 PM

10 posts, read 18,725 times
I worked all throughout the Midwest and I am not sure anyone cares , its just the way the Midwest is most people could care less there about anywhere but there.

They hate New Yorkers that for sure , they pretend to care but don't and seem nice but are not they think they are the center of the known world as many have never been out of there .

Small towns just stay there die there what ever who cares , learned that in the MIDWEST.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:29 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaseo View Post
I worked all throughout the Midwest and I am not sure anyone cares , its just the way the Midwest is most people could care less there about anywhere but there.

They hate New Yorkers that for sure , they pretend to care but don't and seem nice but are not they think they are the center of the known world as many have never been out of there .

Small towns just stay there die there what ever who cares , learned that in the MIDWEST.
Thanks for that ridiculous, off-topic rant.

For the OP, probably Pittsburgh, though some may argue it is a Midwestern city.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Thanks for that ridiculous, off-topic rant.

For the OP, probably Pittsburgh, though some may argue it is a Midwestern city.
I don't think the comment was off topic at all. This is kind of a strange thread.

No, Pittsburgh is not midwestern the same way that Chicago is midwestern. There's no grid; the roads follow old cowpaths. Pittsburgh identifies far more with the eastern cities than the midwestern ones. The architecture is not particularly "midwestern", whatever that is to begin with.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:43 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
Portland is full of Midwesterners and has a built form similar to western Midwest cities like Minneapolis, Kansas City and Madison - streetcar suburbia with mixed apartments and single family houses, lots of trees. Hawthorne Blvd for example could be straight out of a Midwestern city.

It is worth noting that most the settlement of the West was of the same vintage as Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Plains. In general I think the Pacific Northwest has a lot more in common with the Midwest than people perceive, it is a case of the stereotypes being farther apart than the reality.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 05-18-2013 at 09:54 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 07:24 PM

96 posts, read 133,108 times
For me I'd have to say Sacramento at times feels like a Midwestern city outside of the Midwest because just like most Midwestern cities and regions it has a lot of of rural farm land outside of the metropolitan area and plus some parts of the city is industrialized especially the areas north from the city including some parts of the inland southern parts of town as well. Also there are tornadoes that roam through here due to the city of Sacramento being in the valley area of Inland California and it is very flat until you approach the hills headed east from the city towards Folsom and El Dorado Hills on U.S. 50 East or once you head west on I-80 towards San Francisco it gets very hilly once you are west from the Vacaville area. And to mention that there are a lot of transplants here originally from the Midwest like Kansas and some southern midwestern states like Oklahoma and Texas out here which is probably another reason why it feels Midwestern sometimes here. So yeah Sacramento is definitely a Californian city with a Midwestern twist IMO

Old 05-13-2014, 07:30 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
Maybe Denver.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:48 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,965 times
Sacramento

Old 05-13-2014, 07:49 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,611 times
Wheeling WV

Old 05-13-2014, 07:52 PM

37,879 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Birmingham feels like a Midwestern Rust Belt city in the South in some ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.