U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 03:11 AM

309 posts, read 596,460 times

Advertisements

Name a city, town, or any place here in America that you would call quaint. For example, some people would call Portland, Maine a quaint city. Especially when compared to Boston or Seattle. So feel free to fire away. Perhaps it's a quaint city, town, or place in your current state or home state or just some place that you have happened to visit. Maybe it's even a place that you have never been to but have heard about, seen on tv, or you just checked it out on the internet and have read about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 06:47 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,095,852 times
Nacogdoches, the oldest town in Texas.

Its dense Piney Woods setting is very quaint.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:49 AM

56,500 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Perhaps Canandaigua NY.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:55 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,014,398 times
Annapolis, MD

Old 05-31-2013, 06:56 AM

23,035 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Madison, GA. The town so charming General Sherman refused to burn it.

Home - Madison-Morgan County Chamber of Commerce

Old 05-31-2013, 07:06 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
Ishpeming, Michigan, an old mining town in the UP, would qualify. For a prosperous and progressive town, Traverse City Michigan remains quaint. Duluth Minnesota is probably the biggest quaint city I can think of.

Some midwestern towns seemed quaint to me, but might just be the part of town I saw, such as Clinton Iowa, Richmond Indiana, St. Joseph Missouri, Beatrice Nebraska. There don't seem to be any in the South, although I think efforts have been made in some historical towns like Natchitoches Louisiana and Milledgeville Georgia. Quite a few old towns in West Virginia seem quaint, even Wheeling. Same goes for Pennsylvania.

A lot of college towns preserve their quaintness, like Lawrence Kansas and Yellow Springs Ohio.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:17 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
Off the top of my head: Lancaster, PA, Jim Thorpe, PA, Hagerstown, MD, and Fredricksburg, VA. Arguably Charleston, SC, and Savannah, GA count, but they may be considered too large to be quaint. IMHO, a city over 100,000 can't really count.

IMHO, quaintness requires.

1. Old built structure (19th century or earlier)
2. A walkable downtown
3. A fairly small population
4. At some remove from a major metro
5. Is not a sad, near abandoned mill town.
6. Town can't be a ghetto overall, but if it's larger, it can have a "wrong side of the tracks" away from downtown which is dicier.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:40 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,450 posts, read 14,299,056 times
I think Abingdon VA might qualify
abingdon va - Google Maps

Old 05-31-2013, 07:47 AM

7,988 posts, read 16,045,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007jamesbond View Post
Name a city, town, or any place here in America that you would call quaint. For example, some people would call Portland, Maine a quaint city. Especially when compared to Boston or Seattle. So feel free to fire away. Perhaps it's a quaint city, town, or place in your current state or home state or just some place that you have happened to visit. Maybe it's even a place that you have never been to but have heard about, seen on tv, or you just checked it out on the internet and have read about it.
I saw the thread title and was going to comment about Portland, Maine. Definitely a "Quaint" city.

Many of the smaller, non-industrial New England cities can be described this way. Northampton MA, Gloucester MA, Portsmouth NH, Brattleboro VT, Burlington VT, Newport RI, etc. There are to many small towns and villages to name. Many New England towns are village centric with irregular grids and a lot of old, historic architecture. That's part of what makes them feel so quaint.

Carmel, CA is another that I'd consider to be Quaint.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:48 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,981,697 times
Quote:
Name a city, town, or any place here in America that you would call quaint. For example, some people would call Portland, Maine a quaint city.
Interestingly, Portland, ME was the first place that sprang to mind. This was probably the quaintest city (foot stomp..city, not town or village) that I've been to. Very taken by that places charm.

I'd also say Bethlehem PA (I think Johnstown and Scranton could be quaint in their own way).

For my part of the country, the older parts of Lexington KY near downtown are pretty quaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.