U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 10:10 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Inner city Houston is liberal.
Enough with bashing Houston, it gets old....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 10:13 AM

9,425 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Salt Lake City (within the city, not suburbs) is fairly liberal and has a large gay population. Given then the political environment in the rest of Utah though it certainly is a small island in a red sea. It's like being in West Berlin.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:26 AM

29,911 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
Austin, Athens (GA), Asheville (SC?), Charlotte (NC), places like that. What's it like?

I knew a girl from Athens and she said "well it's nice and all but you can't get around the fact that it's in Georgia." She was far left wing by most folks' standards (a professional abortion advocate/referrer, to give you an idea). Austinites have told me it's like living on an island in a sea of Texas. I've even heard Portlanders make everything east of the I-5 sound like it was Oklahoma, though I'm sure they were being dramatic.

Your thoughts?
As someone said, Asheville is in NC. And Charlotte isn't really liberal like those other cities on the list; rather, it's more moderate to left-leaning.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:47 AM

7,222 posts, read 8,234,549 times
I don't know if they're liberal, but Nashville and Memphis are democratic whereas the rest of Tennessee is pretty conservative.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:57 AM

891 posts, read 1,079,867 times
St. Louis is easily one of the most liberal cities in the United States. Missouri has become increasingly conservative, but greater St. Louis is a Democratic stronghold and always has been.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:06 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,163,980 times
Jm02 you know very well i want talking about metros here. The burbs in all Texas cities, including Austin are conservative. in Texas the major cities are generally liberal surroubded by a sea of red that starts before you even leave the metro. So don't trt to distinguish Houston on that one, they are all like that.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:04 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,816,173 times
Austin and Atlanta, for sure.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:10 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,103,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
Austin, Athens (GA), Asheville (SC?), Charlotte (NC), places like that. What's it like?

I knew a girl from Athens and she said "well it's nice and all but you can't get around the fact that it's in Georgia." She was far left wing by most folks' standards (a professional abortion advocate/referrer, to give you an idea). Austinites have told me it's like living on an island in a sea of Texas. I've even heard Portlanders make everything east of the I-5 sound like it was Oklahoma, though I'm sure they were being dramatic.

Your thoughts?
Austinites are sorely wrong...both Dallas & Houston are liberal leaning as well as The Valley in South Texas.

Outside of the UT campus & downtown, Austin just strikes you as any other "college town USA".

Houston is a quirkier city than Austin IMO. Where else in America will you find totally nude bars situated right next door to churches?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:20 PM

9,425 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is a quirkier city than Austin IMO. Where else in America will you find totally nude bars situated right next door to churches?
LOL, nude bars? Really? Or are you talking about strip joints?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:46 PM

601 posts, read 711,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Austin is probably the best example. What they're saying is likely true. I imagine being a liberal in those states would be pretty miserable.
Not sure I understand the sentiment, but it seems to be fairly popular. I'm a libertarian by ideology and have no problem living in "progressive" or conservative areas. People tend to gather with those who think like they do and you can fairly easily insulate yourself from those you have a dislike. Most larger governments (State, Federal) are just to the right or left of center anyway, so it's not like major culture shock.

Small towns would probably be a different situation though. The things that make me miserable are heat, humidity, bugs, crowds, flat scenery...not whether a city or state is barely to the left or right of center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or