Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 05:27 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Dallas County 2012 vote - Obama: 57%, Romney: 42%
Bexar County (SA) - Obama: 52%, Romney: 47%
Travis County (Austin) - Obama: 60%, Romney: 36%
Hildago County (McAllen) - Obama: 70%, Romney: 29%
and. . .
Harris County (Houston) - Obama: 49%, Romney: 49%
Texas Presidential Race - 2012 Election Center - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

BTW - Of the above, Harris is the only county that went for Ted Cruz.

Based on these data and in keeping with the theme of this thread, of the cities cited above, I see two cities that are clearly "liberal" (McAllen and Austin), two that trend blue (Dallas and SA) and one (Houston) that is purple. As always when looking at data and dealing with personal experience, YMMV.

I'm sure this doesn't convince those who feel Houston is decidedly "blue." That's not my point and I am fine if some hold those views. Mine simply differ and I won't repeat the rationale I've expressed earlier in this thread for the reasons I see Houston as politically split down the middle. As someone who follows politics closely (to the point of giving cash donations to two separate and successful mayoral candidates while in Houston), I just find the statistics support my experience of the city's politics, so thought I might share a few.
That's funny. All I see are counties.

I swear it's like talking to a brick wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 05:37 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I swear it's like talking to a brick wall.
Now you know how I feel.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Now you know how I feel.
If "brick wall" has suddenly become the term describing one who is able to tell the difference between a city and the county that city barely forms half of, then, yes, I am a brick wall. You clearly aren't, though.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:44 PM

^^^ I confess it's all been a ruse on my part to ruffle your feathers. Houston is of course well-known as Berkley on the Bayou. Probably why the NRA just held its convention there (birds of a feather and all).

Carry on

Old 06-01-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
^^^ I confess it's all been a ruse on my part to ruffle your feathers. Houston is of course well-known as Berkley on the Bayou.

Carry on
Berkley? No. Birmingham? Also, no. I'm not sure you understand that there's a gray area, though.

It's actually an important point that Houston's progressive political climate isn't more well-known. We're left in the shadows of Perry, and, in your case, misinformation.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Berkley? No. Birmingham? Also, no. I'm not sure you understand that there's a gray area, though.
In a discussion of blue and red cities, where some see gray, I see purple (see earlier posts).

Old 06-01-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
In a discussion of blue and red cities, where some see gray, I see purple (see earlier posts).
Blue-gray - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-01-2013, 06:03 PM

Something I'm not sure I got an answer on, jm02:

It's clear that you don't understand that disctrict/city/county lines vary from place to place, or that, in the same way a liberal city can exist in a conservative state, it's possible for a liberal core (when not strictly defined) to exist in a conservative metro. BUT, let's say the City of Houston was confined to ITL. What would be your take on it then (that is, how it compares to peer cities like Dallas and Atlanta)?

I'm trying to help you get back to making sense.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:03 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Don't think I am racist for saying this, but the true litmus test of a liberal city is what percentage of the WHITE population votes Democrat. Minorities, be it black, latino, etc vote Democrat for their own reasons but many times align more with the GOP on social/religious issues. White Democrats however will most of the time be pro-gay and pro-choice and more inclined to be involved in the cultural activities that define liberal cities.
For the most part, you're correct. But you're more apt to find more liberal minorities within the larger urban centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I disagree. The affluent northern suburbs of Atlanta are actually quite conservative. The 11th Congressional District, that covers this area is rated the second most conservative district in the country behind Orange County, CA.
Rapid growth of this area has not resulted in a dilution of the political bent of their voter base. Considering that this makes up a large part of the state, I don't any big political turnaround anytime soon.
Georgia certainly will not be a blue state within 5 years, but it's definitely trending purple. I think it may be in contention as a potential toss-up state by the 2024 presidential election.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
^^^Not sure I get the reference and why it's relevant to this thread, but it's not the first time. This however, is the crux of how I see and experience Houston politics, including from the inside: "In United States politics, a purple state is a state equally balanced between Republicans (currently symbolized by red) and Democrats (currently symbolized as blue)."
Purple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gonna leave now and grant you the last word (perhaps it will be that I've made a reference to a state when Houston is a city ). I've stated my opinion and offered some links, stats and personal experience to help shed light on how I came to it. My posts may have meaning for some and not for others.

Perhaps there are other cities folks have opinions about. Apologies to the OP if I've helped derail the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.