U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:20 AM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times

Advertisements

Big Island of Hawaii has many superlatives for landscape diversity with lava rock covered desert, lush tropical rain forests, volcanic craters, and high mountain peaks that catch snow in the winter. It has 11 of the world's 13 climate zones all on a single island the size of Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 01:53 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,610,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Texas' landscape is extremely "varied" but it is not as drastic and spectacular as the western states. It's also covered by vast expanses of "sameness" that you have to traverse to get to the next "varied" region.
Texas has a lot of different landscapes but the variety is over a huge distance. Big Bend National Park ant the pine woods of East Texas are very disparate regions but you're driving along way to see that variety.

In Western states though things change much more quickly. In Oregon or Washington or California you can go from and see everything lush coastal forests to flat interior farmland valleys to alpine meadows to dry-as-a-bone desert in the course of a 4 hour drive. Many of the other Southwestern states are pretty diverse as well though they lack the coastal elements.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:58 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,610,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Big Island of Hawaii has many superlatives for landscape diversity with lava rock covered desert, lush tropical rain forests, volcanic craters, and high mountain peaks that catch snow in the winter. It has 11 of the world's 13 climate zones all on a single island the size of Connecticut.
Yeah, there's parts of the Big Island that could pass for Nevada and there's parts that could pass for Southeast Asia in terms of appearance. The first time I ever flew to Kona I was surprised how dry everything looked in that part of the island.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:03 PM

2,769 posts, read 2,493,488 times
I think Washington State definitely qualifies. It has just about everything from the rainy coastal rainforests, to the saltwater seas and ports in the Puget Sound region, the Cascade mountains, the farmland, and the arid region in Eastern Washington where there is less than 8 inches of rain. Many people don't think of a desert when they think of Washington-they think of thick evergreen forests, rain, Puget Sound, Seattle, and mountains. But there is large area with dry and hot temperatures, sagebrush, tumbleweeds, golden hills, and rattlesnakes.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:33 PM

628 posts, read 758,244 times
I was going to say Hawaii also. California and Alaska are up there too.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:44 PM

494 posts, read 673,127 times
CA is probably at the top. Desert, beach, mountains, Forest, etc.. Keep in mind you can also see a ton of snow in the higher elevations.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:26 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,266,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that California and Texas are towards the top on the list when it comes to having a diverse/varied landscape. However, I think you could make a case for any state. Feel free to post pictures showcasing your states diversity if you can!

Kansas and Nebraska.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:03 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,227,179 times
Missouri. Rolling hills and farmland along and North of the Missouri River. The Southern half of the state is the Osage Plains, the Ozarks, and the Missouri Delta.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:08 PM

494 posts, read 673,127 times
Michigan is very diverse ( flat/hills/water-beaches with some sandy others rocky etc ) but lacks a desert.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:58 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,385,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
New Mexico has mountains that resemble Colorado, red rocks and canyons than appear like Arizona or Utah, and high plains that could be in Oklahoma or Texas. New Mexico is pretty much the meeting point of the desert, mesas and plateaus, Rocky mountains, and high plains. Heading out of ABQ in any direction traverses some very different topography.

I'm certainly not a Texas booster but this statement couldn't be more untrue. I'll name off five cities -

El Paso - High Desert and mountains
Austin - Green hill country
Dallas - Plains
Corpus Christi - shores of the Gulf
Houston - Bayous and piney woods to the north

I'd say that certainly defines variation.
Wow. Five different terrains. You win. That's real variation, there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or