U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 09:40 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,352,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Wow. Five different terrains. You win. That's real variation, there.
Those are pretty basic; we could add wetlands, river gorges, rocky buttes, rolling farmland, thick AND thin forests (to borrow several from your own WA list), plus large caverns and huge, colorful canyons.

Bottom line is you made an ignorant and patently false statement and have been handily refuted. You're not helping your case with sarcastic quips- If you can somehow drum up some actual evidence to support your original claim I'm happy to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 12:00 AM

742 posts, read 719,655 times
"Mile for mile, Oklahoma offers the nation's most diverse terrain."
Oklahoma Office of the Secretary of Environment: Land

My home state of Oklahoma! The state has cypress swamps and forest, the forest covered Ouachita Mountains, Ozark Highlands, Wichita Mountains, Arbuckle Mountains, caves, prairies, tablelands, high plains, crosstimbers, and some sand dunes.

Swamp in southeastern Oklahoma:

Broken Bow Lake:

Ouachita Mountains:

Arbuckle Mountains:

Wichita Mountains:

Little Sahara:

Northwest Oklahoma and the Panhandle:

Old 06-03-2013, 05:30 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
Pennsylvania has a very varied landscape. Big hills, small hills and mountains. Cliffs, escarpments and gentle slopes. Tall trees and short trees. Deciduous trees and coniferous trees. Red trees, orange trees and yellow trees in the fall. Big rivers, small rivers, creeks, streams and waterfalls. And the elevation keeps changing too.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:35 PM

8,335 posts, read 9,792,499 times
My top picks would be Hawaii, California, and Utah, and Oregon.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:55 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,384,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Those are pretty basic; we could add wetlands, river gorges, rocky buttes, rolling farmland, thick AND thin forests (to borrow several from your own WA list), plus large caverns and huge, colorful canyons.

Bottom line is you made an ignorant and patently false statement and have been handily refuted. You're not helping your case with sarcastic quips- If you can somehow drum up some actual evidence to support your original claim I'm happy to hear it.
Handily? Really. Lol.

Visit the west coast (and I don't just mean LA). You'll see what varied terrain is like.

But, let's see. I just did a search for Texas skiing. Surely there must some of those snowy mountain peaks where people can ski, since Texas has such a definitive variety. I found this article. My favorite quote is "The good news for locals and visitors alike is that snowy peaks can be found just a short drive away in New Mexico."

Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,352,572 times
Quote:
Handily? Really. Lol.

Visit the west coast (and I don't just mean LA). You'll see what varied terrain is like.

But, let's see. I just did a search for Texas skiing. Surely there must some of those snowy mountain peaks where people can ski, since Texas has such a definitive variety. I found this article. My favorite quote is "The good news for locals and visitors alike is that snowy peaks can be found just a short drive away in New Mexico."
Ha! I had a feeling you would move the goalposts. To paraphrase your original contribution to this thread, "Texas does not have a diverse/varied landscape"...which a couple minutes of Google research shows is verifiably false. A lack of snow skiing within Texas borders is regrettable but doesn't prove anything. If you want to take pot shots at Texas that's fine, I don't care. But I'm loath to let a blatantly ignorant statement such as yours go unchallenged.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:24 AM

16 posts, read 21,898 times
California, Texas, Arizona, and Oregon.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:15 AM

3,178 posts, read 3,845,228 times
Ohio has a good amount of variation, which I think is surprising to some. You have everything from the appalachian foothills, to pancake flat drained swampland, to coastal great lakes, to vast deciduous forests.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:23 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,098,260 times
Quote:
I never understand the insistence that Texas has a varied landscape. It doesn't.

Personally, I think the three west coast states win ... Washington, Oregon, and California. Their landscapes range from ocean, to rainforest, to thickly timbered forests of fir and thinner forests of pine, to rolling farmland, to wetlands, to glacier-topped mountains, to deep river gorges, to rocky buttes, to desert. And I'm sure I've skipped over many.
Eat your words

Old 07-14-2013, 11:53 AM

6,843 posts, read 6,181,041 times
California has 12 ecoregions, Texas has 11, Oklahoma has 11. That is the most of the lower 48. Oregon has 9. Washington has 8.

Alaska being so huge has 20.

Ecoregions are defined by the EPA where terrestrial make up, climate, flora and fauna are distinct compared to surrounding areas.

Last edited by eddie gein; 07-14-2013 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or