Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:47 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,131 times

Advertisements

I would choose the University of Maryland at College Park. Typical American university experience, lots of cuties (very ambitious, career-oriented, Type-A personalities, however), and you are walking distance to a DC metro stop, which will take you into the city if you want to experience some great DC nightlife, or go exploring during the day. Even though you're about 10 miles from the nation's capital, the campus itself has a quaint, small-town feel with lots of green and trees. When scandal, national tragedy, or something "big" happens in the USA (i.e., election of a new president), being in Washington DC you feel as if you are at the center of the universe.

As an American Studies major, you will also be a short subway ride away from the Smithsonian and the Library of Congress, which is basically the US government archiving all of American history. And they are all free of charge, too.

Last edited by evan83; 06-03-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvyspctr View Post
I am currently studying BA American Studies and History at the University of Kent in Canterbury, England. Next year I get to study abroad for a year in the USA. I have the option of the following universities:

California State University, Long Beach
Indiana University
Lehigh University
Marquette University
Mount Holyoke College
Penn State University
Purdue University
San Diego State University
State University of New York Buffalo
University of California
University of Kansas
University Maryland at College Park
University of Massachusetts at Amherst
University of Miami
University of North Carolina Charlotte
University of South Carolina
University of Tennessee at Knoxville
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

I have the following criteria to meet:

- Good for American Studies and History
- Typical US college experience, however, not a total party school
- Not dominated by Greek life
- More women than men
- Easy to travel around the campus and town for someone without a car
- Major airport (with links to London) nearby
- Not many international students
- I'd prefer a Midwest/southwest university, however I don't mind an east coast one if you can convince me
- Not a massive school (around 15,000 students)

I hope you can help me. My friend Mike suggested I use this forum because you helped him pick Kansas!
University of Miami but it does have a lot of International Students as well as Americans. Most of international students will be rich kids from Latin America. I think the location is amazing and the weather will be summer all year long.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:43 PM

49 posts, read 61,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
I would choose the University of Maryland at College Park. Typical American university experience, lots of cuties (very ambitious, career-oriented, Type-A personalities, however), and you are walking distance to a DC metro stop, which will take you into the city if you want to experience some great DC nightlife, or go exploring during the day. Even though you're about 10 miles from the nation's capital, the campus itself has a quaint, small-town feel with lots of green and trees. When scandal, national tragedy, or something "big" happens in the USA (i.e., election of a new president), being in Washington DC you feel as if you are at the center of the universe.

As an American Studies major, you will also be a short subway ride away from the Smithsonian and the Library of Congress, which is basically the US government archiving all of American history. And they are all free of charge, too.
I have ruled that out because it doesn't match my other criteria. I could make an exception though!

Could you give me more detail on my reduced list (p1)

Old 06-06-2013, 04:46 PM

401 posts, read 649,481 times
LOL the OP wants to f*ck American girls ... more women than men, no international students so he's the special English guy, he'd prefer the West 'cause chicks are less uptight there ...
It's so obvious LOL ... nothing wrong about it, but it's funny, and I just thought that someone had to point this out.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:07 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Try University of Buffalo, because you can meet American and Canadian girls there/nearby. Toronto has a nice collection of women too. Not sure about direct flights, but a quick hop flight to one of the NYC metro airports or even to Toronto then to London could work. Buffalo has a subway line that is by UB's South Campus too. There are buses as well.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:33 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Considering the fact that one of the OP's schools of choice is Mount Holyoke, and that is a girls-only school...I think there's a pretty good chance OP is actually female.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:33 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
You have an odd list if you don’t want a “massive” school. I’d take a look at Lehigh and Mount Holyoke College. They’re much smaller than the others and very well regarded.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:56 PM

834 posts, read 1,015,250 times
Purdue, Penn, Maryland are the ones that stand out on resumes in the US. Maryland is the one closest to specs. A lot of children of eastern european immigrants end up in Maryland somehow too, so there is culture and high standards along with intriguing traditions..

These rest are just shades of gray where sports programs and rich kid house parties are all that matter..

Old 06-07-2013, 06:19 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
Considering the fact that one of the OP's schools of choice is Mount Holyoke, and that is a girls-only school...I think there's a pretty good chance OP is actually female.
Good catch. In that case, change what I said, OP in terms of the women comment.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:27 AM

844 posts, read 1,656,710 times
Mount Holyoke College really has a lot of women...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.