U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:32 AM

843 posts, read 1,377,163 times

Advertisements

California State University, Long Beach - Good location, massive party school
Indiana University - middle of nowhere
Lehigh University - not in a major city, everything else is good
Marquette University - No idea
Mount Holyoke College - All girl, great small college
Penn State University - a typical large state university
Purdue University - another large state university
San Diego State University - same as CSU long beach
State University of New York Buffalo - large state university
University of California - What? which?
University of Kansas - Middle of nowhere
University Maryland at College Park - once again a large state university
University of Massachusetts at Amherst - A large state university, good location

University of Miami - No idea
University of North Carolina Charlotte - No idea
University of South Carolina - No idea
University of Tennessee at Knoxville - No idea
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee - another large state university, cold
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University - another large state university, rural, mild weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 06:34 AM

843 posts, read 1,377,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Try University of Buffalo, because you can meet American and Canadian girls there/nearby. Toronto has a nice collection of women too. Not sure about direct flights, but a quick hop flight to one of the NYC metro airports or even to Toronto then to London could work. Buffalo has a subway line that is by UB's South Campus too. There are buses as well.
Buffalo is ridiculously cold with tons of snow. South Campus is close to ghettos, pretty dangerous for a lady.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:03 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,345,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvyspctr View Post
Was liking the look of UMass Amherst until I saw a one-way Amtrak ticket to Boston would cost me $128!! That's the closest airport after all...

However, it is $55 to NYC and $94 to Philly. So not TOO BAD.

Greyhound would get me to Boston for $30.

Amherst looks really great! Any info on this place would be appreciated.
Great school. I went there for undergraduate studies. Huge campus...literally like a city. Amherst is a great town. The school has free shuttle buses to get you just about anywhere you need to go, so you don't need a car.

Only downside was the winter months....I grew up in Massachusetts, but the western part of the state has a wind chill factor that literally made me cry.

The campus has so many events and activities that you will have alot to do. I also should mention that Amherst is kind of in the middle of nowhere, so getting to a major city will take long time - plan ahead if you are trying to make a flight.

Mount Holyoke is a shuttle ride away as well, so going there would be the best of both worlds. http://www.umass.edu/transit/buses.html

I was going to suggest California, but that's only because of the weather. Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 06-07-2013, 07:27 AM

18,641 posts, read 23,224,516 times
Quote:
I am currently studying BA American Studies and History at the University of Kent in Canterbury, England. Next year I get to study abroad for a year in the USA. I have the option of the following universities:

California State University, Long Beach
Indiana University
Lehigh University
Marquette University
Mount Holyoke College
Penn State University
Purdue University
San Diego State University
State University of New York Buffalo
University of California
University of Kansas
University Maryland at College Park
University of Massachusetts at Amherst
University of Miami
University of North Carolina Charlotte
University of South Carolina
University of Tennessee at Knoxville
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

I have the following criteria to meet:

- Good for American Studies and History
- Typical US college experience, however, not a total party school
- Not dominated by Greek life
- More women than men
- Easy to travel around the campus and town for someone without a car
- Major airport (with links to London) nearby
- Not many international students
- I'd prefer a Midwest/southwest university, however I don't mind an east coast one if you can convince me
- Not a massive school (around 15,000 students)

I hope you can help me. My friend Mike suggested I use this forum because you helped him pick Kansas!

You have an excellent list of colleges and universities from which to choose! Very diverse and really all around the US. What a wonderful opportunity for you! I am beginning my master's degree in American Studies/Working Class studies in the Fall term.

One thing I should point out is a "typical American college experience" will include a Greek presence on campus. I did not attend "typical American colleges" for my undergrad work - at both schools Greek life was minimal. Typical universities, especially state affiliated always have a Greek presence. It may be less obnoxious at some colleges, though.

Another thing is that almost all American colleges and universities have more women than men. Finding one that is "50/50" is getting difficult. More American women apply to, and graduate from colleges and universities than men. So you are safe in that respect.

What are some of your preferences? Why Southwest or Midwest? Some American schools ( colleges and universities) have a large international or Ethnic presence , Hispanic presence or regional presence. If any off these would either interest you, or compromise your experience, than those would not be for you.

First and easiest I would not think of Mount Holyoke College. It's a good school, but as one of the few remaining all women's colleges, and it attracts a few sub types of students, none of whom would be considered "typical" by any social scientist. I'd also avoid anything religious, because it will not be typical and it will be more conservative, so no to Marquette. (Roman Catholic)

If you send me a DM, and include more of your preferences and the reasons for them - i.e.. personal or academic, I could be of better assistance. Also, which university of California? There are many.

Indiana, Perdue, Buffalo and Maryland, College Park have some of the highest rated programs in American Studies. U Mass is also a good choice and being near Boston is always fun.

That's just a quick opinion off the top of my head.

There must be some that attract you more than others. Which ones?

Last edited by sheena12; 06-07-2013 at 07:42 AM..

Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,736,634 times
I love Milwaukee (obviously), and Marquette is a great school...and UW Milwaukee is a good school. But both border on fairly "iffy" areas of town that someone from the UK probably hasn't had much experience with. Marquette does have the "Marquette bubble" where you don't really have to leave the area immediately around the school (there are Marquette student bars/restaurants/etc.), just saying...

Old 06-07-2013, 09:26 AM

49 posts, read 50,044 times
I am NOT female. That guy summed up SOME of my intentions quite well, however, academia is the main reason for choosing an institution the other criteria is just a bonus.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:03 AM

56,535 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Buffalo is ridiculously cold with tons of snow. South Campus is close to ghettos, pretty dangerous for a lady.
That is why the area is prepared for it. It isnt like it snows non stop and the weather can vary. South Campus is not by ghettos either.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I am NOT female. That guy summed up SOME of my intentions quite well, however, academia is the main reason for choosing an institution the other criteria is just a bonus.
In that case, I'll let my original post stand.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:08 AM

49 posts, read 50,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In that case, I'll let my original post stand.
Thanks for the information, however, Buffalo doesn't really look very "captivating".

Old 06-07-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the information, however, Buffalo doesn't really look very "captivating".
You've been there already? Like I mentioned, its location actually can allow you to get into Canada, which is where a lot of students go due to only being 19 to drink. Seeing that you have a passport, you wouldn't have any problems. Buffalo also has pretty good nightlife in its own right and UB is a great school for your major. If you do check it out, you probably would like Elmwood Village, Allentown and North Buffalo. Here is some more info: Elmwood Village - Buffalo New York - YouTube

The Elmwood Village Association

Allentown Association

Allentown - Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries

Buffalo's Historic West Village Official Site

Hertel-North Buffalo Business Association, Inc.

Parkside Community Association | Historic Parkside, Buffalo, NY

Buffalobarfly - Buffalo's Source for nightlife & entertainment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.