U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 11:49 AM

49 posts, read 50,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You've been there already? Like I mentioned, its location actually can allow you to get into Canada, which is where a lot of students go due to only being 19 to drink. Seeing that you have a passport, you wouldn't have any problems. Buffalo also has pretty good nightlife in its own right and UB is a great school for your major. If you do check it out, you probably would like Elmwood Village, Allentown and North Buffalo. Here is some more info: Elmwood Village - Buffalo New York - YouTube

The Elmwood Village Association

Allentown Association

Allentown - Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries

Buffalo's Historic West Village Official Site

Hertel-North Buffalo Business Association, Inc.

Parkside Community Association | Historic Parkside, Buffalo, NY

Buffalobarfly - Buffalo's Source for nightlife & entertainment
Well from Google Street View it doesn't look as nice as the others. It is in a good location (the city itself). I will have a look at those links, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 12:02 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Tulane is a great academic university. It's in a beautiful, safe, walkable neighborhood with connecting flights to London.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:06 PM

56,533 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvyspctr View Post
Well from Google Street View it doesn't look as nice as the others. It is in a good location (the city itself). I will have a look at those links, thanks
Just like any city, it has its good and bad parts. Also, the UB campus is technically in Amherst. So, South Campus is on the Buffalo/Amherst line by Main Street, while North Campus is completely in Amherst.

Buffalo also has quite a few colleges. So, you could meet quite a few people of the same or similar age. That may be something else to consider.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:25 PM

843 posts, read 1,377,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is why the area is prepared for it. It isnt like it snows non stop and the weather can vary. South Campus is not by ghettos either.
South Campus isn't really ghetto, but the city of Buffalo is very depressed.

There are only two great things about Buffalo, Buffalo wings and easy access to Canada.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:01 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,206,028 times
Quote:
Was liking the look of UMass Amherst until I saw a one-way Amtrak ticket to Boston would cost me $128!! That's the closest airport after all...

However, it is $55 to NYC and $94 to Philly. So not TOO BAD.

Greyhound would get me to Boston for $30.

Amherst looks really great! Any info on this place would be appreciated.
Traveling by Greyhound is awful. Don't do it. Really, just don't. Amtrak is better by far.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:26 AM

745 posts, read 911,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Traveling by Greyhound is awful. Don't do it. Really, just don't. Amtrak is better by far.

Since the OP is a Brit, I most definitely recommend him travelling by Greyhound to see a gritty underclass of American society that he may not experience hanging out at college bars in college towns with his college buddies. I also highly recommend shopping at Wal-Mart.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:52 AM

What region has the "friendliest" locals? During holidays such as Thanksgiving, I'd love to experience a traditional American Thanksgiving (I am an American Studies/History student after all). I have heard the Midwest is like that, however, the only Midwest uni that interests me is Marquette - it's a city so maybe not that friendly/close knit to make good friends.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Since the OP is a Brit, I most definitely recommend him travelling by Greyhound to see a gritty underclass of American society that he may not experience hanging out at college bars in college towns with his college buddies. I also highly recommend shopping at Wal-Mart.
Why is Greyhound so synonymous with abhorrence?

Old 06-08-2013, 07:09 AM

745 posts, read 911,502 times
Quote:
Why is Greyhound so synonymous with abhorrence?

It's relatively cheap. And in this day and age, Americans largely fly. Law enforcement agencies use Greyhound vouchers to send transients, druggies, and prostitutes back to their home-of-record. America has a rather large invisible underclass. But who are good people nonetheless.

As far as Marquette is concerned, I think you'd enjoy it. Nice campus. And even though it's run by Catholics, it's a secular education. In fact, most universities in America with a religious affiliation are secular in nature, with the exception of a few like Bob Jones and Liberty University. Did you know Notre Dame and Georgetown are also Catholic-affiliated? But very secular and liberal, just like any other American university.

Milwaukee is a great town, and you are only 2 hours from Chicago.

Speaking of Chicago, let me throw out another school you might want to consider: Northwestern University.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
It's relatively cheap. And in this day and age, Americans largely fly. Law enforcement agencies use Greyhound vouchers to send transients, druggies, and prostitutes back to their home-of-record. America has a rather large invisible underclass. But who are good people nonetheless.

As far as Marquette is concerned, I think you'd enjoy it. I've passed through the campus once. And even though it's run by Catholics, it's a secular education. In fact, most universities in America with a religious affiliation are secular in nature, with the exception of a few like Bob Jones and Liberty University. Did you know Notre Dame and Georgetown are also Catholic-affiliated? But very secular and liberal, just like any other American university.

Milwaukee is a great town, and you are only 2 hours from Chicago.
Yeah, I've really been considering Marquette. I love Chicago (visited before when I was younger) and love baseball so the Brewers will have that covered. I am just wondering about my post a couple of posts above re: Thanksgiving - how friendly are Midwesterners typically? Will it be less so in a big city like Milwaukee?

Northwestern isn't an option, not an exchange partner .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.