U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:21 AM

745 posts, read 912,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvyspctr View Post
Yeah, I've really been considering Marquette. I love Chicago (visited before when I was younger) and love baseball so the Brewers will have that covered. I am just wondering about my post a couple of posts above re: Thanksgiving - how friendly are Midwesterners typically? Will it be less so in a big city like Milwaukee?

Northwestern isn't an option, not an exchange partner .

Midwesterners have a reputation for being very friendly. Are they less friendly in Milwaukee? I can't say. But the bigger a city gets, the less friendly the people will be. I guess that's a rule that applies to most of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 AM

49 posts, read 50,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Midwesterners have a reputation for being very friendly. Are they less friendly in Milwaukee? I can't say. But the bigger a city gets, the less friendly the people will be. I guess that's a rule that applies to most of the world.
Yes, very true.

I am also considering Maryland at College Park. Do you think this would be the best choice because of its location?

Old 06-08-2013, 07:40 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,904,043 times
Despite what people may say....there is no particular region of the USA that has the corner on "friendliness". You can find friendly people and unfriendly people in any region of America. Thanksgiving is a national holiday and EVERYBODY celebrates it. Though I will admit It has always been my impression that it is more of a "big deal" in the Northeast, South, and Midwest than the West/West Coast.

I will say that you're probably more likely to get the "hey come home with me for thanksgiving!" invite if you are at a large public university. This is simply for the fact that those schools will have a majority of students' with families nearby/in-state.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
Despite what people may say....there is no particular region of the USA that has the corner on "friendliness". You can find friendly people and unfriendly people in any region of America. Thanksgiving is a national holiday and EVERYBODY celebrates it. Though I will admit It has always been my impression that it is more of a "big deal" in the Northeast, South, and Midwest than the West/West Coast.

I will say that you're probably more likely to get the "hey come home with me for thanksgiving!" invite if you are at a large public university. This is simply for the fact that those schools will have a majority of students' with families nearby/in-state.
Is Maryland one of these large public universities, I'm likely to find this at? It seems so. This seems a great choice because of its location to DC, good history and AS depts, etc.

If I gave you a choice: Indiana, Marquette or Maryland, where would you say is most holiday orientated? These all match my needs.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:51 AM

If I were an international student focusing on American Studies, who wanted the "traditional American college experience", close proximity to a major international airport, the possibility of going home with/visiting classmates families on weekends/holidays....my choice of those three would be Maryland. Medium-sized public university with decent college sports that is close to the capital of the US, near a large international airport, and highly regarded academics. Maryland/the DC metro aren't quite as "down home" as Indiana or Wisconsin but I think it would provide the best balance of everything else you are looking for. Also, DC is almost constantly hosting travelers/tourists from all over the United States so you are likely to come across people from all walks of "American Life" while there.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:56 AM

745 posts, read 912,044 times
My choice is College Park as well, but you seem to prefer a Midwestern--not East Coast--American experience, so I would pick Indiana.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:15 AM

Sadly my friend has just told me that both Maryland and Indiana have no spaces left. The deadline is 3pm Monday and I've left it pretty late. He knows that Kansas has 1 place left and there are some at Marquette, UC Irvine, UC Merced, UC Santa Cruz, UMass Amherst and Cal State Long Beach.

That's all that's left I didn't realise that the rest had been taken because I have been preoccupied with family affairs.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 AM

If you are coming close to a deadline I say just go with your gut and take a leap of faith. Of the choices you have left my choices would be UMass, Kansas, Marquette, or Irvine but I have been done with college for a long time and this is your decision.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:40 PM

18,677 posts, read 23,246,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvyspctr View Post
Why is Greyhound so synonymous with abhorrence?

It really isn't. Many college students of average means travel that way.
People of means in the United States avoid bus travel - long distance or short distance using bus.
In cities, such as NYC, they use taxi cabs.

For transport to and from an American city it is not uncommon for college students to travel by bus. I did this myself at that age - from NYC to LA.

It was an experience, to say the least!

Old 06-08-2013, 01:55 PM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
South Campus isn't really ghetto, but the city of Buffalo is very depressed.

There are only two great things about Buffalo, Buffalo wings and easy access to Canada.
Some parts are and some aren't. I already gave the OP examples and there are others. Have you been there? I've actually had 3 siblings go to college in the area and all of them enjoyed their time there, as well as spending time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.