U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:02 PM

28,304 posts, read 26,308,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
But Denver is better than Pittsburgh for transit.
That may very well be true. I haven't lived in either. Why do you suppose, however, that more people are living car free in Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 02:06 PM

87,043 posts, read 102,757,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That may very well be true. I haven't lived in either. Why do you suppose, however, that more people are living car free in Pittsburgh?
Off the top of my head:

More poverty/low income people there

Less interest in going to the mountains, the ski areas, etc. While one can get to the mountains (actually foothills) of eastern Jefferson County, CO on the RTD, to get any farther into the wilderness, one needs a car. The only ski area accessible by RTD, by virtue of it being the only ski area in the RTD, is Eldora. There used to be a train to Winter Park from downtown Denver, but no more, though there's talk of reviving it. To go to Vail, Breck, Copper Mtn, etc, one needs a car, a friend who has one, or a charter bus.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Off the top of my head:

More poverty/low income people there

Less interest in going to the mountains, the ski areas, etc. While one can get to the mountains (actually foothills) of eastern Jefferson County, CO on the RTD, to get any farther into the wilderness, one needs a car. The only ski area accessible by RTD, by virtue of it being the only ski area in the RTD, is Eldora. There used to be a train to Winter Park from downtown Denver, but no more, though there's talk of reviving it. To go to Vail, Breck, Copper Mtn, etc, one needs a car, a friend who has one, or a charter bus.
Hmm...I would have figured Pittsburgh would have more people living car free because it's more walkable. I don't consider either city to be all that transit-oriented. But Pittsburgh seemed to have the more walkable core of the two.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Hmm...I would have figured Pittsburgh would have more people living car free because it's more walkable. I don't consider either city to be all that transit-oriented. But Pittsburgh seemed to have the more walkable core of the two.
Seriously? Everything in Pittsburgh is either uphill or downhill from where you start. It's an extremely hilly city. It doesn't get *that* cold there, but it rains a lot. It snows on snow there. Denver, the city, is fairly flat, and there are many more sunny days and pleasant weather there.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,080,368 times
Eh. I actually find hills a plus for walkability. I like good views. I've lived in worse climates than Pittsburgh without a car, and it didn't seem to interfere either. Hills have more of an effect for bikeability, though the time I lived in a hilly town I learned to cope.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Seriously? Everything in Pittsburgh is either uphill or downhill from where you start. It's an extremely hilly city. It doesn't get *that* cold there, but it rains a lot. It snows on snow there. Denver, the city, is fairly flat, and there are many more sunny days and pleasant weather there.
The downtown area didn't seem all that hilly. But I didn't do all that much walking. Perhaps it's different when you're on foot.

But all in all, I don't think hills make that much of a difference in terms of walkability. I've walked all over San Francisco and Seattle and I don't consider myself to be the most avid walker. Upper Manhattan is also rather hilly but I don't find that to have much if any impact on pedestrian activity and walkability.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Eh. I actually find hills a plus for walkability. I like good views. I've lived in worse climates than Pittsburgh without a car, and it didn't seem to interfere either. Hills have more of an effect for bikeability, though the time I lived in a hilly town I learned to cope.
Quote:
The downtown area didn't seem all that hilly. But I didn't do all that much walking. Perhaps it's different when you're on foot.

But all in all, I don't think hills make that much of a difference in terms of walkability. I've walked all over San Francisco and Seattle and I don't consider myself to be the most avid walker. Upper Manhattan is also rather hilly but I don't find that to have much if any impact on pedestrian activity and walkability.
To the best of my knowledge neither one of you is responsible for young children, to haul up and down those hills.
I was responding to a post regarding why I thought Denver was more walkable. It's flatter, pretty flat except on the NW side until you get out into the western burbs, and even there, vast stretches are flat or gently rolling. The weather is 1000x better (J/K); it doesn't rain as much, and when it does, except on rare occasions, it usually just rains for 1/2 hour or so, not all day like in Pgh. There's a saying that it doesn't snow on snow in Denver, which it certainly does in Pittsburgh.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,080,368 times
Quote:
To the best of my knowledge neither one of you is responsible for young children, to haul up and down those hills.
I was responding to a post regarding why I thought Denver was more walkable. It's flatter, pretty flat except on the NW side until you get out into the western burbs, and even there, vast stretches are flat or gently rolling. The weather is 1000x better (J/K); it doesn't rain as much, and when it does, except on rare occasions, it usually just rains for 1/2 hour or so, not all day like in Pgh. There's a saying that it doesn't snow on snow in Denver, which it certainly does in Pittsburgh.
I'm not responsible for young children, and many aren't. But as Bajan said, I don't think people walking and hilliness is much connected in general. Nor would I have thought being flat would help walkability. I'm sure the weather better out there.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Not sure why that matters. I see tons of young mothers pushing strollers up St. Nicholas Ave all the time. Teen pregnancy in Harlem is about as contagious as small pox.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:48 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,064,828 times
Seattle, Portland, Boston, Chicago, Philly, and San Francisco are the first that come to mind. There are others where you could theoretically live without a car but may not be able to experience all the city has to offer that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or