U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 PM

669 posts, read 727,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I can assure you that there are many people living in these cities without a car. I did it for years.

Without the OP clarifying what they mean by "comfortably", no one should be able to give an answer.
Well of course you can live in any place with public transit without a car. But most people wouldn't describe places like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta as comfortable without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,807,899 times
Hehe, +1 to folks misspelling "Capitol Hill"

Seattle is definitely going to be getting more service in the future. The city population increased by 100,000 people, from 515k to 615k, over the past 30 years, and that rate is increasing. The landscape is constrained by the puget sound and Lake Washington, which leads to outrageously expensive property and puts strain on traditional road networks.

I know a lot of folks who bike from their eastside homes to the city using I-90 bridge's bike/pedestrian sidewalks and are stoked about the future 520 bridge's pedestrian and bike-dedicated (!) path. Beautiful ride too, going across the lake ... well, beautiful when the sun is out

There's been talk of getting more street car access, or expanding the light rail to go westward into the NW neighborhoods and into Shoreline. To me, the N-S corridor is in desperate need of a comprehensive plan to deal with the projected 150-200k more people who will live in Seattle in the next 20 years.

The eastside bus service is definitely more "gotta plan ahead" type of thing, but totally doable, and recommended if you're going to the soccer match (they get more people attending soccer matches, 35k/match, than football or baseball). Traffic on game days suck, and it also sucks when rednecks in their ginormous trucks come to watch WSU vs. UW games, so taking the bus is definitely recommended. Bill Gates takes the bus sometimes even! Saw him once get off at Mercer Island. Was stunned ... the world's richest man taking the bus.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:03 AM

485 posts, read 1,174,187 times
Wouldn't the rain in Seattle make not having a car annoying?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:01 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,355,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Wouldn't the rain in Seattle make not having a car annoying?
No theres a difference between overcast and rain . NY , Philladelphia , Boston, and Baltimore all get more rain than Seattle. Most people who live in Seattle dont own an umbrella . It does rain often but it's mostly light rain and easy for locals to deal with.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:23 AM

12,460 posts, read 11,967,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
More poverty/low income people there
Pittsburgh also has a higher population of retirees, I would guess, and some of the old-timers still do not drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Hmm...I would have figured Pittsburgh would have more people living car free because it's more walkable. I don't consider either city to be all that transit-oriented. But Pittsburgh seemed to have the more walkable core of the two.
Pittsburgh has plenty of walkable neighborhoods. Places like Southside Flats, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill (in portions) all have mixed-use business districts and a pedestrian-friendly layout. There are other neighborhoods which are walkable, but lack either a vibrant business district, or a business district entirely (for example, most of the lower Northside).

The problem is, as I said, it's not easy to walk from one neighborhood to another in many cases. There is essentially a ring of badly-redeveloped mid-century areas surrounding Downtown, which means the walkable portions of the East End, the South Side, and the lower Northside don't form a continuous urban fabric. And there's literally only one bus (the 54C) which goes to all areas, and it's only convenient from one East End neighborhood.

That said, it can be done. Most of the people I know who are carless by choice are all-season cyclists. Pittsburgh isn't the best for biking, but it has a very active local community. And as the city redevelops within the core, it's getting easier.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:49 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,807,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
No theres a difference between overcast and rain . NY , Philladelphia , Boston, and Baltimore all get more rain than Seattle. Most people who live in Seattle dont own an umbrella . It does rain often but it's mostly light rain and easy for locals to deal with.

The common analogy is you know those fans with the misters in them? It's kinda like that. You don't need an umbrella.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:27 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,573,858 times
Why exclude NYC? because outside of Manhattan having a car is very convenient.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:24 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,392,571 times
I live and work in the city of Chicago and don't have a car and don't miss it a bit. Lots of people live comfortably without a car.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,080,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Depends where in each borough and what you're doing [like anywhere else]. It's still not that necessary for many. If Brooklyn or The Bronx were their own cities, they'd have a lower car ownership than any other city in the country. Queens is similar to DC.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:29 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,628,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
I think the OP excluded NYC for the obvious, everyone knows that NYC you don't need a car. If not then the first answer for everyone would be NYC, so it's just taking care of the obvious. Duh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or