Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:28 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post

With that said, Provence, France, is the best region for wine.
Provence? Really? Not knocking the area, but they seem to produce mostly Rosé varietals, which is usually not everyone's cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
California has the biggest and best variety--you can find almost everything grown in one place or another. Washington produces a good mix east of the Cascades in terms of more hot weather grapes like Cabs and Syrahs, and has some great wines around Walla Walla. Washington has a ton of good wines, but doesn't seem to get as much recognition for any one varietal in particular. There's some amazing wines coming out of Washington, but some of it is hit or miss for the most exceptional wines. Oregon specializes pretty much in higher end pinots, but they've done to such a degree to be recognized as one of the best places in the world for pinot noirs. It'll be interesting to see how the hotter wine regions in Southern Oregon like the Applegate Valley and Roseburg will do as more wineries open and expand in that area. Oregon doesn't have the large-scale high-volume commercial places like Chateau St. Michelle or Columbia Crest in Washington or Kendall Jackson or Gallo in California, it's most smaller volume high quality places.

Personally, I mostly drink a lot of Oregon wines, because I get good deals and I love pinot. Other than that it's usually a lot of Washington wines or California--and I'll usually drink Italian or Spanish wine or sometimes French after that.

The rest of the US, I can't really speak for, I don't know if I could even locate a New York wine in most of my wine shops or restaurants. There's wine all over the US in small amounts, I've even had some good wines from Idaho recently.

Last edited by Deezus; 06-03-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 11:39 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Idaho wines are gaining attention and winning awards all over the world. Both reds and whites are excellent.

An interesting historical fact is that Idaho had the first vineyards in the Northwest until prohibition wiped them out. Fast foward to today and there is the Snake River Viticultural Area in the Boise Metro south of Caldwell and there are over 20 wineries and 50 vineyards. There is even a winery/vineyard in the Foothills above downtown Boise. Studies are on going to hopefully create a second AVA in the state up north near Lewiston where the first vineyards in the NW were planted.

Statewide there are nearly 50 wineries.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:23 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I'm interested in what non West Coast wines in the US are like. I've had ice wines from upstate New York, but I think that's about all I've had.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:32 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm interested in what non West Coast wines in the US are like. I've had ice wines from upstate New York, but I think that's about all I've had.
Certain grapes have produced some excellent varietals in Texas; I think most acreage is Cabernet Sauvignon, but lately Tempranillo (high plains) and Viognier (hill country) have been garnering international recognition. It's a pretty fledgling industry so vineyards are learning what works and what doesn't.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:53 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
I'm going to be biased and pick Washington for best state wine. It's not overrated like the ones in California (Sonoma Valley, Napa) and they have a great selection and wineries. which is your favorite region and state for wine?
Washington State was the first place that came to mind when I saw this thread title. I really like Chateau Ste. Michelle a lot.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:54 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Oregon Pinot Noirs

Old 06-03-2013, 02:57 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
France
Italy
Spain

Old 06-03-2013, 03:26 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
France
Italy
Spain
I really should add

Portugal
Greece
Germany
Austria

Old 06-03-2013, 04:09 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
California because everyone knows E-40 makes the best wine in the country!

E-40 Launches Wine Collection | NBC Bay Area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.