U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 05:10 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
For tech, the obvious choices are San Fran and Seattle but as you say they are expensive! I think in this day and age you can do pretty much whatever you want from anywhere, so you don't necessarily have to be in the biggest tech hubs to find a job or accomplish your goals in that arena.

I dunno...Portland might be a slightly lower cost of living and meet your criteria. Can't go wrong with DC although it can get very pricey in certain areas. Anyway, definitely do your research first, but go for it!
But Porland has a cutthroat competition when it comes to jobs. Especially in the computer industry. I would not recommend it unless the OP had some very highly skilled computer knowledge and a sure thing in the employment market.

COL is higher, wages are lower. If the OP is considering Portland, I would advise him to check these things out with those in the tech industry who live in Portland and are knowledgable of the actual situation there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 03:49 PM

26 posts, read 35,487 times
How would I find somewhere to live? From what I here apartments will not like that I have no job. Could I look for a roommate on craigslist? Anyone have experience with this?

Old 06-09-2013, 04:12 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,213,327 times
Seattle may be expensive, but it's not crazy expensive like SF.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:14 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
I live in Silicon Valley in CA, and it's quite normal for people to relocate here for jobs. But, the cost of living is going sky high again (rent wise).

But, I heard Texas is booming job-wise and is much more affordable. Might want to look at Houston? Dallas? Austin?

Old 06-10-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I live in Silicon Valley in CA, and it's quite normal for people to relocate here for jobs. But, the cost of living is going sky high again (rent wise).

But, I heard Texas is booming job-wise and is much more affordable. Might want to look at Houston? Dallas? Austin?
I am just looking for somewhere new and the places I listed happen to appeal to me most. The job market is just a plus. I don't think I would like Texas very much

Old 06-10-2013, 04:59 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,040,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomByte View Post
I am just looking for somewhere new and the places I listed happen to appeal to me most. The job market is just a plus. I don't think I would like Texas very much
Texas isn't that conservative in its cities, especially the extremely-liberal Austin. Austin is probably the best balance right now between hip, cost of living, and economic opportunity.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Texas isn't that conservative in its cities, especially the extremely-liberal Austin. Austin is probably the best balance right now between hip, cost of living, and economic opportunity.
How good is Austins public transit?

Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
But Porland has a cutthroat competition when it comes to jobs. Especially in the computer industry. I would not recommend it unless the OP had some very highly skilled computer knowledge and a sure thing in the employment market.

COL is higher, wages are lower. If the OP is considering Portland, I would advise him to check these things out with those in the tech industry who live in Portland and are knowledgable of the actual situation there.
Good point. You would know better than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree, but from the OP's description and list of cities I assumed he's looking for a big city experience. Austin is pretty awesome but outside of a pretty small radius downtown I think Austin lacks that big-city feel. Even Portland was borderline in my mind when I recommended it...

Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Good point. You would know better than me.

I agree, but from the OP's description and list of cities I assumed he's looking for a big city experience. Austin is pretty awesome but outside of a pretty small radius downtown I think Austin lacks that big-city feel. Even Portland was borderline in my mind when I recommended it...
Big city is definitely what I am looking for. The only reason Seattle is on with those other cities is because good job market and the area just looks so damn beautiful.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:13 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,196,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomByte View Post
Big city is definitely what I am looking for. The only reason Seattle is on with those other cities is because good job market and the area just looks so damn beautiful.
Have you thought about Atlanta? We have the best rail system in the sunbelt (MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) and the IT sector is on fire here with over 16,000 new jobs in IT alone in the last 2 years (Atlanta becoming Southeast "Silicon Valley" | 11alive.com). In addition to all of that, it is not that expensive to live here compared to other large cities in the U.S.

I think you will like it here. Atlanta is a bustling and beautiful city.

I work in the IT industry in Atlanta and I have two job offers pending as we speak. I have had five job offers in the last 4 months (With another being offered to me today).

Last edited by BeyondInfinity; 06-11-2013 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.