Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:23 AM

26 posts, read 42,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
Have you thought about Atlanta? We have the best rail system in the sunbelt (MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) and the IT sector is on fire here with over 16,000 new jobs in IT alone in the last 2 years (Atlanta becoming Southeast "Silicon Valley" | 11alive.com). In addition to all of that, it is not that expensive to live here compared to other large cities in the U.S.

I think you will like it here. Atlanta is a bustling and beautiful city.
Atlanta doesn't really interest me, for one its in the south. I am looking for a beautiful city. I am sure Atlanta is nice but I don't think its on Chicago, NYC, SF, or Seattle when it comes to architectural and natural beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 01:51 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
What about Philadelphia or Boston?

Old 06-11-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Philadelphia or Boston?
Those cities do interest me as well, just not as much as the cities I already listed. What is cost of living in those cities compared to the ones I listed? I know San Francisco and NYC are super expansive, but how does Philly compare to Chicago or Seattle?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:32 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomByte View Post
Those cities do interest me as well, just not as much as the cities I already listed. What is cost of living in those cities compared to the ones I listed? I know San Francisco and NYC are super expansive, but how does Philly compare to Chicago or Seattle?
Philadelphia is lower than Seattle and is on par with Chicago, if not slightly lower. So, it may be another place to consider.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:57 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Big city is definitely what I am looking for. The only reason Seattle is on with those other cities is because good job market and the area just looks so damn beautiful.
Hmm, I have to say I think Seattle will absolutely give you a big city feel. In my opinion one of the best urban centers in the country.

Quote:
Philly is gonna be less expensive and still offer a lot. Definitely include it in your search for jobs!

Old 06-11-2013, 11:23 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Salt Lake City has a rising Tech industry. It would provide a cheap living situation and the ability for you to save money for a few years. Then if possible I would suggest a move to the Bay area or Seattle. Perfect for your field but higher costs of living. 2 great cities that offer nothing but upside. Portland is rising as well. Could be a good alternative

Old 06-11-2013, 11:32 PM

21 posts, read 27,448 times
Quote:
22 year old, college graduate moving across country alone with 5k in his bank account?

After I graduate next spring, with a degree in Computer Science and minor in math, I want to move to a big city far from home. I currently live in a city of about 10k in northwest Wisconsin and don't really care for it. I am working at a software company and will work there until I graduate. I live at home save pretty much all the money I make, so financially I should be ok. I am mostly worried about finding a job in a new place. Do I have to move there and just hope I find something? How many companies hire people that are willing to relocate?
10k is not necessary, you should be good as long as you are relocating to a major city there will be jobs; especially considering that you are a recent college graduate you degree can be more marketable.

10k não é necessário, você deve ser bom, desde que você está de mudança para uma cidade grande, haverá postos de trabalho, especialmente considerando-se que você é um recém-formado que você grau pode ser mais vendável.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Hmm, I have to say I think Seattle will absolutely give you a big city feel. In my opinion one of the best urban centers in the country.
How much of a big city feel does Seattle give? I am looking for a city that is really urban. From what I have read outside of downtown its not so urban. Also I will be moving without a car at least initially so public transport is fairly important

Old 06-12-2013, 02:16 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
How much of a big city feel does Seattle give? I am looking for a city that is really urban. From what I have read outside of downtown its not so urban. Also I will be moving without a car at least initially so public transport is fairly important
Hmm, I don't know Seattle that well to be honest. I've visited 4 or 5 times in the past decade and spent a total of about 3 weeks there. Enough to have an impression but not to know it THAT well.

I've had really positive experiences and I think there is plentiful opportunity for living in vibrant walkable neighborhoods where you can go carless...(obviously dependent upon where you end up working though)

You're right that a good portion of the Seattle metro is not urban. But besides NYC you're gonna be hard-pressed to find a city that's "urban" everywhere. Even SF/Oakland and Chicago's metro areas include a lot of lower density areas.

I dunno, I think you would be happy if you could land in certain areas of Seattle. But it is very expensive, especially in those neighborhoods. Just kinda guessing that I have a sense of the lifestyle you're looking for, I'd suggest focusing on Brooklyn (possibly Jersey, Queens, etc) Philly, Boston and Chicago. This is purely based on the big city feel and the lower cost of living vs Manhattan, DC, SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.