U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:01 PM

26 posts, read 35,502 times

Advertisements

22 year old, college graduate moving across country alone with 5k in his bank account?

After I graduate next spring, with a degree in Computer Science and minor in math, I want to move to a big city far from home. I currently live in a city of about 10k in northwest Wisconsin and don't really care for it. I am working at a software company and will work there until I graduate. I live at home save pretty much all the money I make, so financially I should be ok. I am mostly worried about finding a job in a new place. Do I have to move there and just hope I find something? How many companies hire people that are willing to relocate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,795,894 times
With that degree and technical experience...you'll be fine.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:33 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,046,774 times
Where do you plan on moving? Not everywhere is equal and in some cities you will have greater luck than in others. You aren't far from Minneapolis/St Paul which is one of the best cities today to be in your twenties.

Sometimes you have to have a local address to be considered for jobs especially if there is a high amount of job competition where you plan on moving. Unless you have a very hard to find skill, you probably wouldn't be able to send resumes to Portland with a Wisconsin address and expect to get noticed. If you had your heart set on Portland (not saying you do), then you might just have to move there, get roommates and a part time job until you find something in your career field.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:51 PM

2,959 posts, read 3,820,755 times
I think you should consider the Bay Area. See if you can find something affordable in Oakland at least until you get your bearings straight with a job. This is a marvelous area for your degree and experience and Oakland is gentrifying and not as bad as people will have you think as long as you're smart about your surroundings. Consider that or Seattle, though I would think that the Bay Area would be more exciting for you.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Where do you plan on moving? Not everywhere is equal and in some cities you will have greater luck than in others. You aren't far from Minneapolis/St Paul which is one of the best cities today to be in your twenties.

Sometimes you have to have a local address to be considered for jobs especially if there is a high amount of job competition where you plan on moving. Unless you have a very hard to find skill, you probably wouldn't be able to send resumes to Portland with a Wisconsin address and expect to get noticed. If you had your heart set on Portland (not saying you do), then you might just have to move there, get roommates and a part time job until you find something in your career field.
The cities I am interested in are Seattle, NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco. The problem is those cities are really expensive from what I hear, but should be good money for my field. Anyone know how easy it is to get a job in my field in these cities? I assume San Francisco and maybe Seattle would be super competitive.

Minneapolis is my back up city, if finically a cross country move doesn't work out. All my family is from the Twin Cities and I am a die hard Minnesota sports fan, so I do have connection there. I want a more of a big city feel and I kinda want to get far away from home

Old 06-04-2013, 07:00 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Byte View Post
22 year old, college graduate moving across country alone with 5k in his bank account?

After I graduate next spring, with a degree in Computer Science and minor in math, I want to move to a big city far from home. I currently live in a city of about 10k in northwest Wisconsin and don't really care for it. I am working at a software company and will work there until I graduate. I live at home save pretty much all the money I make, so financially I should be ok. I am mostly worried about finding a job in a new place. Do I have to move there and just hope I find something? How many companies hire people that are willing to relocate?
That will depend entirely where you want to move. In some places your money will go far, in others it will last only a few months. My rule of thumb is the farther west you want to go without a job, the more you will need and 5k with your skills and lack of experience will fall in the few months category.

If you plan to head west, either get a job where you are and gain some experience and best case scenario, get yourself a transfer or save twice of what you have now. Also get a more advanced degree in computer science if you do not have one already. People with computer science degrees on the west coast are a dime a dozen with change. Your other degree in math will probably be helpful though.

Find out which particular computer skills are in demand. There are some very high tech ones that are going begging. If you have knowledge of these, you will be in. If you are just an IT guy like all the other little snowflakes, you will wind up working at Mickey D's if you are lucky enough to find an opening.

Check out all these things before you move. Employers will definitely court you long distance if you have a particular skill that is out of the ordinary.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That will depend entirely where you want to move. In some places your money will go far, in others it will last only a few months. My rule of thumb is the farther west you want to go without a job, the more you will need and 5k with your skills and lack of experience will fall in the few months category.

If you plan to head west, either get a job where you are and gain some experience and best case scenario, get yourself a transfer or save twice of what you have now. Also get a more advanced degree in computer science if you do not have one already. People with computer science degrees on the west coast are a dime a dozen with change. Your other degree in math will probably be helpful though.

Find out which particular computer skills are in demand. There are some very high tech ones that are going begging. If you have knowledge of these, you will be in. If you are just an IT guy like all the other little snowflakes, you will wind up working at Mickey D's if you are lucky enough to find an opening.

Check out all these things before you move. Employers will definitely court you long distance if you have a particular skill that is out of the ordinary.
All I have is a bachelors from a smaller school and a little experience so I doubt I would have any out of the ordinary skills that they would court me from across the country. Two cities I am looking at most are Seattle and San Francisco. I know they are both crazy expensive. Worst case scenario I will have at least $5k and best case between $7k-$10k. If I try to find a roommate and a part time job how long could I stretch that in one of these cities?

Old 06-07-2013, 01:41 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomByte View Post
All I have is a bachelors from a smaller school and a little experience so I doubt I would have any out of the ordinary skills that they would court me from across the country. Two cities I am looking at most are Seattle and San Francisco. I know they are both crazy expensive. Worst case scenario I will have at least $5k and best case between $7k-$10k. If I try to find a roommate and a part time job how long could I stretch that in one of these cities?
$10k is better of course. But you could do it for $7,000. A roommate or even two is a very good idea. No telling how long you could stretch that but it is doable. You just have to be pretty frugle and always on the lookout to options. Between the two cities, Seattle would be my choice. It has lots of opportunities and is growing like crazy. I think that there would be more chances for people on limited budgets. Also good schools for more advanced degrees because people in your field there are many so you will need them.

And I also happen to be very fond of that city.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:47 PM

520 posts, read 869,545 times
With 5k? Hell yeah, go for it. As long as you find someplace to live with reasonable rent, you could comfortably support yourself even on a fast food job with that cushion.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:57 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,972,968 times
For tech, the obvious choices are San Fran and Seattle but as you say they are expensive! I think in this day and age you can do pretty much whatever you want from anywhere, so you don't necessarily have to be in the biggest tech hubs to find a job or accomplish your goals in that arena.

I dunno...Portland might be a slightly lower cost of living and meet your criteria. Can't go wrong with DC although it can get very pricey in certain areas. Anyway, definitely do your research first, but go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.