U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:17 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Not when you consider the ENTIRETY of the city of Chicago proper. The "easy to live without a car part of Chicago" while larger than perhaps any other city except NYC, and about equivalent to SF, Boston, and DC, is still less than half of Chicago proper. For example, most of the south side, you would MUCH better off if you had a car.
Well I don't disagree with much here. There is no city like New York when it comes to this. But still a much greater portion of Chicago is easier to go without a car than a greater portion of Dallas. Chicago has a much better rail and bus system. Dallas has one of the least used bus systems in thr country and a growing and improving but still underperforming lrt system. Because of this, people will generally say you will need a car to a get around most of Dallas. Same cannot be said with Chicago. You will need it for Chicagoland though. No matter how great the metra is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 02:16 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,437,252 times
of course chicago has better transportation than Dallas. It has to in order to serve millions more people who live there. Dallas wouldnt need a system as extensive as chicago because it serves less people and on that note DART is pretty reliable for the population it serves.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:12 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,986,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Someone did on this thread. Don't know if he's from Texas.
I live in Texas. Most Texans think everywhere but Texas is in shambles and everybody north, not just south of the border is trying to come in.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:15 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,804,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I live in Texas. Most Texans think everywhere but Texas is in shambles and everybody north, not just south of the border is trying to come in.
Is that so? You surveyed all 20 million+ Texans and came to the conclusion that most of us think that?

Old 07-28-2013, 10:43 AM

10,789 posts, read 9,428,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Oh lord by a month? Anyway, Chicago just had one of the nicest winters. Mostly in the 50's.
I've been in Chicago in mid March and the weather was unbearable even then. Mid March is glorious in Dallas.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:22 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,622,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I've been in Chicago in mid March and the weather was unbearable even then. Mid March is glorious in Dallas.
Depends on the year. March is one of those very unpredictable months. Some years it's absolutely comfortable 50-60 degrees, or some years it's unbearable.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:05 PM

494 posts, read 673,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Depends on the year. March is one of those very unpredictable months. Some years it's absolutely comfortable 50-60 degrees, or some years it's unbearable.

Lets see adding more layers of clothing which will get and keep you warmer for 3-4 months in Chicago or relentless heat and humidity and down to shorts and no top and STILL gasping for air and sweating bullets for 3-4 months in Dallas? Most sane people know the answer here. Dallas can keep it's 90s/100+ heat and humidity. Plus Chicago has the lake which gives it a mega advantage on THIS front.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:12 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,370,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
How glorious is Dallas in July?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:11 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,570,477 times
midwest1, I've been to many areas around people in Chicago said I should go to over the last decade, frankly I have been unimpressed. I just don't really bother anymore. When I want nature (though I'm not a huge nature person) I fly somewhere else like to Denver or down to Florida to see family and friends. They are the quickest bang for your buck for real nature (either beaches) or . I've even tried to get some people to come to Florida with me to visit for a vacation and they respond like, "why should I go to Florida, we have beaches right here!" And I look at them like they are crazy b/c they seem to not know the difference. I was literally MAD once when I wasted time going to one of the "forest preserves" with somebody. Great there are trees and not farms, not really impressive. While it is "outside" and you can walk around and see trees or whatever, it is not very scenic at least to me. It's just not an outdoorsy place, not many people are into outdoors in Chicago either. Go to Denver, Seattle, SF, LA, Carolinas, New England, etc. and you will see a dramatic difference in the culture of people who are actually into the outdoors. I'm talking like going on hikes or mountain biking, skiing every weekend type people. Though I grew up in Florida and know what amazing beaches and lush tropical areas look like, and also lived in Northern California and know what amazing coast lines and dramatic mountains and true "forest preserves" look like... so, it's just not impressive to me. No amount of stuff you post in threads is going to change that. I certainly don't think Dallas is great either.

You keep posting about the dunes, they are about an hour away from Chicago.
This is it, right?

dasslereffect

I mean to me it's a lake with a rocky beach, and most of the drive to it and even near it is an industrial zone.

Last edited by grapico; 07-28-2013 at 05:24 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 06:01 PM

12 posts, read 20,364 times
Dallas is more manageable than Chicago. Really depends on what you're looking for in a city. The areas outside of Dallas are definitely more family friendly and affordable (Plano, Frisco, McKinney).

In Dallas you have Victory Park which is very high end with lots of clubs and nightlife.
Victory Park

They've also extended the DART Rail System in Dallas.
http://www.dart.org/riding/dartrail.asp
http://www.dart.org/maps/printrailmap.asp

My Ranking:

Weather: Dallas
Affordability: Dallas
Economy/Jobs: Dallas
Low Crime: Dallas
Infrastructure: Dallas
Food: Tie
Nightlife: Tie
Traffic: Tie
Scenery: Chicago
Outdoors/Recreation: Chicago
Museums: Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or