U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:50 AM

801 posts, read 859,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I live in Texas. Most Texans think everywhere but Texas is in shambles and everybody north, not just south of the border is trying to come in.
Wow. This is a straight-up lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 12:48 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,198,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
It's not that hard to drive in Chicago. With the exception of downtown, Chicago is pretty easy to get around by car. Now if you take the highway everywhere that is a different story, but streetwise, traffice outside of rush hour is not bad at all.

And your statement is not true. In areas like Irving Park, Portage Park or Jefferson Park it's actually easier to drive than to take public transportation or walk.

Driving in Chicago is not that bad
I think it is. I lived off of Belmont and Sheridan for two years. Driving anywhere downtown, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, or really anywhere on the Northside is awful. Of course, the further out you get in Chicago, the easier it is.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:06 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,621,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I think it is. I lived off of Belmont and Sheridan for two years. Driving anywhere downtown, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, or really anywhere on the Northside is awful. Of course, the further out you get in Chicago, the easier it is.
I am sorry, but in places like Edgewater, Uptown, North Center, Lincoln Square, etc, it is not awful to drive around there. I wouldn't even say Lakeview and Lincoln Park are, with the exception of some residential streets.

My senior year I moved back home and would drive to DePaul in LP without any traffic and always found free parking on the residential streets. Is driving as easy in Dallas? No. But awful? I think you are exaggerating. YOu make it seem like driving in the Northside is like driving in Manhattan. I think you are overdoing it.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:56 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,738,027 times
Chicago traffic is far worse than DFW traffic, it's definitely a plus on the Dallas ledger in this comparison.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:35 AM

10,789 posts, read 9,425,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
How glorious is Dallas in July?
Better than Chicago in January

I don't have to shovel heat and humidity, lol!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 AM

10,789 posts, read 9,425,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
You could make the same arguements for Dallas. Drive up the road into Oklahoma and youre in the Ozarks which are equally beautiful to some of the places in Wisconsin.

Having lived in Chicago and Dallas, I have to say neither city is great for outdoor activities. You have the lake in Chicago and several lakes in Dallas, but they arent exactly California, Florida, or the Mountain West. Chicago is pancake flat and Dallas is not quite flat, but not exactly hilly either.
Yes and if you drive out west you can get to Palo Duro Canyon which is a smaller version of the Grand Canyon. You go east and there are forest in the pine woods of Texas, great for hunting, fishing, and other pursuits. I could honestly see a tie in this area.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:14 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,972,200 times
Chicago is a real city, while Dallas is a strip mall in the middle of nowhere.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:08 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,567,618 times
Driving isn't the problem in Chicago, finding parking is.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:23 AM

801 posts, read 859,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Definitely never been to Dallas right here. Prime example of the average city vs city poster.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,108,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Says the guy from the Chicago suburbs.

dallasdesigndistrict.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or