U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:47 AM

3,406 posts, read 7,558,388 times

Advertisements

Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 10:51 AM

14,798 posts, read 19,010,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
You can't just move to Canada and permanently live there...unless you're a Canadian citizen.
My friend did this to move in with his partner. He was kind of stupid that he just off and requested a license without being a citizen. Canada ended up barring him from the country indefinitely as an illegal. They got a lawyer and since they were legally married, Canada considered him again BUT I and about five others had to write the Canadian government a letter saying how long I've known my friend for, how good of a person he is, how he will contribute to the Canadian economy, etc. I had to use what my job is, what my degree is, and who I work for as well to make them trust me too.

But yeah, just like the US, it's a whole process. However, I think Canada is more apt than the US to accept new people now. There's 35 million people there and Canada's land area is HUGE (although a lot is in places people won't inhabit).

Old 06-15-2013, 12:00 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,071,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
My friend did this to move in with his partner. He was kind of stupid that he just off and requested a license without being a citizen. Canada ended up barring him from the country indefinitely as an illegal. They got a lawyer and since they were legally married, Canada considered him again BUT I and about five others had to write the Canadian government a letter saying how long I've known my friend for, how good of a person he is, how he will contribute to the Canadian economy, etc. I had to use what my job is, what my degree is, and who I work for as well to make them trust me too.

But yeah, just like the US, it's a whole process. However, I think Canada is more apt than the US to accept new people now. There's 35 million people there and Canada's land area is HUGE (although a lot is in places people won't inhabit).
It's always interesting to me, when people think they can just move to Canada. It's not that simple, people.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:11 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,010,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
It's always interesting to me, when people think they can just move to Canada. It's not that simple, people.
I know. My friend is EXTREMELY intelligent too and I was even scratching my head at his decision. He knows better but still tried it because he thought Canada wouldn't care.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:43 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,534,266 times
Chicago, SF, Philly, Boston, and DC are all good choices and mini-NYC's in different respects. I can't imagine getting bored in any of these cities. LA, Atlanta, Houston, or Dallas could work if you're cool with being dependent on a car. Seattle or Denver might work too if you spend a lot of time outdoors.

Last edited by jayp1188; 06-19-2013 at 02:52 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,288,733 times
Chicago. Bustling, action-packed, good 24 hour subway system. Big city with lots of distinct neighborhoods. Still a city about business and buzz. Not particularly cosmopolitan and truly All-American in vibe, but the closest "version" to NYC in the country imo.

Boston and SF would be the next options.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:39 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,093,728 times
San Francisco and Los Angeles, for different reasons. Both have better weather than NYC, but LA has better weather than the Bay. LA has more to do than the Bay and more diversity, but is less compact and more car-dependent. Chicago is also a good option, much cheaper than any of the 3.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:54 AM

1,401 posts, read 1,640,442 times
Chicago is probably the closest but it obviously has a very different feel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.