U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 08:50 PM

9,443 posts, read 18,359,292 times

Advertisements

Business Insider's list of the 20 Most Innovative cities in the country. The list runs from predictable major cities to unpredictable small college cities. Do you agree with this list as the cities most forward thinking heading into the 21st century with new ideas and patents? What cities have been wrongfully left off? What cities do you think are most innovate and elaborate why they are at a near the top?

Here's BI's list

1 -San Jose/Silicon Valley
2 -Burlington, VT
3 - Rochester, MN
4 - Corvallis, OR
5- -Boulder, CO
6 -Poughkeepsie, NY
7- Ann Arbor, MI
8- San Francisco/Oakland, CA
9 - Austin, TX
10 - Santa Cruz, CA
11 -Seattle, WA
12 - Raleigh, NC
13 - Rochester, NY
14 - Durham/Chapel Hill, NC
15 - Trenton, NJ
16 - Sheboygan, WI
17 - San Diego, CA
18 -Albany/Schenectady, NY
19- Ithaca, NY
20- Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN

The 20 Most Innovative Cities In The US - Business Insider

There's a lot of random choices and obvious choices. It may be a bit of a Forbes slideshow with trite justification context, but it's not the usual suspects either and with some notable college towns up for discussion which makes it interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:50 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,633,103 times
Santa Cruz, California is on the list? I mean UC Santa Cruz is there, but the few tech companies in the area except for Plantronics are all in Scotts Valley. There's a number of people who live in Santa Cruz and work in Silicon Valley as well, I think my dad actually has several patents under his name from his years in the semi-conductor industry in Silicon Valley(though he didn't do the extent of the work on them)

I'm sort of confused by their stats though. They say Santa Cruz has 1,204 patents per 1 million people and an average of 310 patents per year. Though Santa Cruz itself has only 60,000 people and the county or metro area only has 240,000 people. So depending on whether they were referring to the city itself or the county--which would only be a total of about 75 patents or 300 patents. So I'm not sure how a place with only that amount of total patents among it's population could have 310 patents per year...even if it's 310 patents per million residents per year, it still doesn't add up...

Although it'd be funny if some of the patents are related to wetsuit design and surfboards and skateboards--then it totally makes sense for Santa Cruz.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:07 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,825,755 times
Raleigh, #12 and Durham/Chapel Hill #14......even when you separate them into two metro areas, despite the fact that they act as one, they both make the top 15. Way to go!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 AM

939 posts, read 2,831,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Santa Cruz, California is on the list? I mean UC Santa Cruz is there, but the few tech companies in the area except for Plantronics are all in Scotts Valley. There's a number of people who live in Santa Cruz and work in Silicon Valley as well, I think my dad actually has several patents under his name from his years in the semi-conductor industry in Silicon Valley(though he didn't do the extent of the work on them)

I'm sort of confused by their stats though. They say Santa Cruz has 1,204 patents per 1 million people and an average of 310 patents per year. Though Santa Cruz itself has only 60,000 people and the county or metro area only has 240,000 people. So depending on whether they were referring to the city itself or the county--which would only be a total of about 75 patents or 300 patents. So I'm not sure how a place with only that amount of total patents among it's population could have 310 patents per year...even if it's 310 patents per million residents per year, it still doesn't add up...

Although it'd be funny if some of the patents are related to wetsuit design and surfboards and skateboards--then it totally makes sense for Santa Cruz.
You just stated in your comments that Santa Cruz has a UC campus -- coupled with the fact that it's near Silicon Valley. You answered your own quandary. UC Santa Cruz has incredibly high research activity that bolsters the industries throughout the Bay Area. Further, despite Santa Cruz only having 60,000 residents, the 1,204 patents per 1 million people is the statistical average; the standard of measurement the article used when comparing regions. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,633,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
You just stated in your comments that Santa Cruz has a UC campus -- coupled with the fact that it's near Silicon Valley. You answered your own quandary. UC Santa Cruz has incredibly high research activity that bolsters the industries throughout the Bay Area. Further, despite Santa Cruz only having 60,000 residents, the 1,204 patents per 1 million people is the statistical average; the standard of measurement the article used when comparing regions. Nothing wrong with that.
I looked it up--most of the patents are Plantronics or a handful of other folks who live in Santa Cruz and work in Silicon Valley. It's only because Santa Cruz has a smaller population that it shows up. It really shouldn't rank as one of the most innovative places for tech in the US however. The local economy is crap for the most part and fairly weak in terms of tech companies.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:29 PM

56,744 posts, read 81,061,259 times
I'm not surprised by the NY areas mentioned on the list, as all have an above average educational attainment. Ithaca is actually only behind Boulder CO in that regard.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:49 PM

939 posts, read 2,831,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I looked it up--most of the patents are Plantronics or a handful of other folks who live in Santa Cruz and work in Silicon Valley. It's only because Santa Cruz has a smaller population that it shows up. It really shouldn't rank as one of the most innovative places for tech in the US however. The local economy is crap for the most part and fairly weak in terms of tech companies.

Yeah, when you put it that way, I guess you're right, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or