Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:13 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times

Advertisements

Show, don't tell. Denver metro is about 50 miles north to south, 30 or more east to west. How big is Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 04:41 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Show, don't tell. Denver metro is about 50 miles north to south, 30 or more east to west. How big is Charlotte?
Denver Metro is not 50 miles north to South.

Denver's contiguous built-up area extends from Lone Tree/Parker up to just north of Highway 470 along I-25. Really, that's only about 37 miles.

East-West, Denver's contiguous built-up area is from about the Highway 470/I-70 interchange east along I-70 to roughly 470 on the east side. This is about 28 miles. Close to what you said.

Charlotte, on the other hand, is:

North-South

Along I-77: Contiguous built-up area extends from about two miles inside South Carolina up to around exit 30 (Davidson), for a roughly 32 mile contiguous built-up area. However, Charlotte's metro is more dispersed, in that there is still a lot of suburban development, granted it is a patchwork pattern beyond these areas. For example, south, development extends down to Rock Hill, SC, roughly another 13 miles. It is clearly suburbanizing. On the north side, development extends up to Mooresville, NC, about another six miles, granted it isn't contiguous, and more or less in a patchwork pattern (with woods and open land intermixed with subdivisions and shopping centers). If you take the entire span into consideration, that's an additional nineteen miles, which ends up being a 51 mile north-south span. It's only a matter of time before the patchwork areas will be contiguous (probably less than ten years).

East-West, Charlotte is contiguous along Highway 74 (which parallels I-85)westward toward Gastonia from Charlotte, a twenty-three mile span. Eastward, it depends on which direction east you take. If you go due east along Highway 24/27, you hit rural area in only around ten miles. However, if you take the US 74 route, it'll take you about twenty miles. Let's take an-inbetween figure of about fifteen miles to the east, for a total east-west span of about 38 miles, which is larger than metro Denver.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:24 PM

The contiguous area of Denver goes way north of 470. Taking I-25, Denver goes north up to Erie/Lafayette which is exit 229. The Castle Rock exit is 182, 47 miles. Castle Rock is about the southern limit of the Denver burbs, not Lone Tree. Colfax Avenue runs east-west for 26 miles. Plus there is the area up into the mountains from Golden. The Golden exit on I-70 is 260, the Evergreen exit is 252. The farthest east exit is 289. The total difference from Evergreen to Aurora is 37 miles.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
The contiguous area of Denver goes way north of 470. Taking I-25, Denver goes north up to Erie/Lafayette which is exit 229. The Castle Rock exit is 182, 47 miles. Castle Rock is about the southern limit of the Denver burbs, not Lone Tree. Colfax Avenue runs east-west for 26 miles. Plus there is the area up into the mountains from Golden. The Golden exit on I-70 is 260, the Evergreen exit is 252. The farthest east exit is 289. The total difference from Evergreen to Aurora is 37 miles.
The Erie/Lafayette exit is one exit past 470, and that is why I said, just past 470.

Evergreen? Don't you have to go through Bear Creek Canyon Park to get there? If so, how is that contiguous?

How do you figure that you can count mountain communities, when it is simply housing on large lots, separated by woods, on mountain hillsides?

By the way, why do you count Castle Rock, when it is more or less a satellite community, detached from the contiguous built-up area?

Old 10-04-2008, 07:48 PM

When were you last there? You can access Evergreen on I-70. It is a suburban mountain community. Castle Rock is barely detached from the rest of the burbs. Also, people live in CR and work in Denver. It's pretty well built up all the way.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
When were you last there? You can access Evergreen on I-70. It is a suburban mountain community. Castle Rock is barely detached from the rest of the burbs. Also, people live in CR and work in Denver. It's pretty well built up all the way.
This past summer.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
This past summer.
Well, I would posit that you didn't see the whole picture if you think you have to drive up a canyon to get to Evergreen, or that people in Caslte Rock don't work in Denver (most do). I still think Denver is more of a "big league" city than Charlotte.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:02 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,292,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2eire View Post
Oakland and Newark
San Jose and White Plains, NY
These are based simply on your original comparison of NYC and SF. Do some research and put more thought into it.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:10 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,766,988 times
Sacramento/Charlotte-both have grown from people fleeing certain regions, very sprawlin
San Francisco/Boston-similar in size, both very cosmopolitan and urban
Los Angeles/New York-both the iconic cities of each coast
San Diego/Miami-both beach towns on the far south with many hispanics
Portland/Pittsburgh-both have rivers, fairly similar
Seattle/Minneapolis-I don't know why but I have always though of these cities as similar
Las Vegas/Orlando-both grew around tourism, and now have a ton of sprawl
Phoenix/Atlanta-both very sprawling
Oakland/Philadelphia-both very underrated/overlooked

Old 10-06-2008, 06:08 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Oakland/Philadelphia-both very underrated/overlooked
Phillys so underrated its put with a city a third its size! I think Baltimore would make a better match, also an extremely underrated city (smashed between an underrated city (philly) and a very known yet somewhat underrated city (DC) (and than smashed between two underrated cities (Bmore and Philly) is another underrated city, Wilmington))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.