U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:36 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,535,831 times

Advertisements

Florida with Virginia and Texas west of the 35 a bit behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 11:54 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,794,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
The question really depends upon how the South is defined ala' the question. That is, does it mean the 11 Old Confederate States? Does it mean the Census Bureau definition -- which is the broadest -- today? Would it include Missouri which was counted as "Southern" for quite a while in historical definitions when referring to "slave-states."

Interesting question, but the OP will have to define it as to original intent.
Good point.

I'm not going to go with the census beureau's definition because it is a little too broad, IMO.

I think the 11 Confederate States is probably the best litmus test. I don't think many people these days consider any of the 11 Confederate State to NOT be Southern...just maybe different levels of "Southernness."

Old 06-04-2013, 12:02 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
By my definition of the South, Florida would be the least southern.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:19 PM

939 posts, read 1,260,957 times
Really? Virginia less Southern than Maryland and West Virginia?

There has to be a cutoff. At what point does a state stop being the Least Southern Southern state, and becomes a non-Southern state?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 PM

I think TX and FL are the least Southern...but even those to me aren't particularly "Un-Southern." I say "Least" for these two because they have such large percentages of Hispanic immigrants and large percentages of transplants. The Hispanic influence in these states drive a lot of the states culture which to me detracts a bit from the historical Southern influence. Further the hispanic influence in these states are in heavily populated areas...especially Florida.

Behind these two I would put my home state of Virginia as third least Southern because of NOVA's massive influence. It's kind of a shame IMO that 7 or 8 of the states 100+ counties can detract so much from our 150 years of Southern culture but it certainly has as of late. VA would be followed I suppose by North Carolina because it's getting more and more transplants to the RDU and Charlotte areas.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Really? Virginia less Southern than Maryland and West Virginia?

There has to be a cutoff. At what point does a state stop being the Least Southern Southern state, and becomes a non-Southern state?
11 Confederates States...of which Maryland and WV are not.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:49 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,110,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Good point.

I'm not going to go with the census beureau's definition because it is a little too broad, IMO.

I think the 11 Confederate States is probably the best litmus test. I don't think many people these days consider any of the 11 Confederate State to NOT be Southern...just maybe different levels of "Southernness."
Good point in turn, and I dare say, an almost original wording of the question. That is to say, limiting the query to only the states which unquestionably made up the Confederacy and are (dictionary definition for verification), considered to be "Dixie"!

As to my own answer, I would agree with what many have said in that the least is Florida. But noting of course that the Florida panhandle is as "Deep South" as bordering areas of south Alabama and Georgia.

Virginia and Texas would compete for second/third. Personally, IMHO, I would put Virginia second (predjudice on my part, perhaps? LOL), as East Texas is about as large as the entire state of Virginia and the former is very much the western most extension of the Deep/Old South. And even most parts of western Texas -- settled overwhelmingly by pioneers from the southeastern United States -- has a very strong Southern component to it (speech, religious patterns, etc).

I hasten to add, this is NOT to diminish Virginia's credential's in the least. It's claim to Confederate heroes and history is undisputed!

So in a nutshell? Here is my worthless 2-cent ranking as to least Southern Southern state:

1. Florida
2. Virginia
3. Texas

And? Feeling just a bit expansive at the moment, if we want to make it several more? Wellll....

4. Arkansas
5. North Carolina.
6. Tennessee

Oh hell, why not go to the end?....forgive me, y'all.... (myself in the head)

7. Louisiana
8. South Carolina
9. Georgia
10. Alabama
11. Mississippi

Braces for the duel challenges sure to come my way over this! LOL

Old 06-04-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Good point in turn, and I dare say, an almost original wording of the question. That is to say, limiting the query to only the states which unquestionably made up the Confederacy and are (dictionary definition for verification), considered to be "Dixie"!

As to my own answer, I would agree with what many have said in that the least is Florida. But noting of course that the Florida panhandle is as "Deep South" as bordering areas of south Alabama and Georgia.

Virginia and Texas would compete for second/third. Personally, IMHO, I would put Virginia second (predjudice on my part, perhaps? LOL), as East Texas is about as large as the entire state of Virginia and the former is very much the western most extension of the Deep/Old South. And even most parts of western Texas -- settled overwhelmingly by pioneers from the southeastern United States -- has a very strong Southern component to it (speech, religious patterns, etc).

I hasten to add, this is NOT to diminish Virginia's credential's in the least. It's claim to Confederate heroes and history is undisputed!

So in a nutshell? Here is my worthless 2-cent ranking as to least Southern Southern state:

1. Florida
2. Virginia
3. Texas

And? Feeling just a bit expansive at the moment, if we want to make it several more? Wellll....

4. Arkansas
5. North Carolina.
6. Tennessee

Oh hell, why not go to the end?....forgive me, y'all.... (myself in the head)

7. Louisiana
8. South Carolina
9. Georgia
10. Alabama
11. Mississippi

Braces for the duel challenges sure to come my way over this! LOL
I think your list is pretty solid. Personally (and probably a by-product of prejudice as well) I would place VA as third and TX as second...I'm a homer..what can I say!

The only other change I would make is #3 and #4...I would swap out NC and Arkansas primarily on the higher number of transplants to North Cackalacky. The RDU metro carries heavy influence in the state and it is RIDDLED with transplants. I would say that the only part of Arkansas that is fairly "Un-Southern" to some degree may be some of the areas of NWA near Fayetteville but it isn't nearly as large an economic and cultural sway as the RDU area is to the state of NC.

Other than that I think the list is spot on.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:42 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,110,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I think your list is pretty solid. Personally (and probably a by-product of prejudice as well) I would place VA as third and TX as second...I'm a homer..what can I say!
LOL I guess we both are...obviously!

Quote:
The only other change I would make is #3 and #4...I would swap out NC and Arkansas primarily on the higher number of transplants to North Cackalacky. The RDU metro carries heavy influence in the state and it is RIDDLED with transplants. I would say that the only part of Arkansas that is fairly "Un-Southern" to some degree may be some of the areas of NWA near Fayetteville but it isn't nearly as large an economic and cultural sway as the RDU area is to the state of NC.
THAT is a very good point, and I struggled with it quite a bit myself. In fact, pretty much like I did with Texas and Virginia, earlier. It was close as hell. My reason for finally giving the #4 spot to Arkansas was about skin-of-teeth. LOL What tipped it a bit was that (IMHO), NC seems to advertise itself as a bit more "Old South" than does Arkansas...which contains a slightly (and I mean slightly) more "frontier western" flair to it (an inkling of Texas before actually getting there! LOL).

Like I mentioned, oh lord, it was a tough call!

Old 06-04-2013, 03:09 PM

7,728 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Maryland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or