U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 07:16 PM

18,635 posts, read 27,047,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
really? did you read my post above considering who developed Miami? I would call that "History". Southerners didn't "find" Miami or "develop" it! Scroll down to where it says "History" :

Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dude before the 60s, Miami demographically was in line with the rest of the South. They did not have the same diverse white population as the Northeast did. New Yorkers treated their place as a vacation home. It doesn't mean you're Northeasteners. But Miami was still shaped by Southerners. Isn't there a confederate cemetery in Dade Co? Somebody forgot to alert my family and friends that they now live in what is more of a northeastern city than a southern city. Also, Bajan, it is clear that you know very little about the south if you think all Southerners are conservative and uneducated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 07:16 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,798,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well that's why I said borrowed time the way the demographics are changing in Houston and Dallas and regarding Dallas, I wasn't thinking of just Californians.
While I do think it's true that (unfortunately) Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are somewhat headed towards regional ambiguity, I don't think it will happen until decades from now. Each of these metros still have large swaths of areas that are overwhelmingly southern and mostly untouched by transplants (except for Katrina evacuees).

Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 PM

44,695 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
^ so influential was Henry Flagler to our state they even have a county named for him in the northern part of the state as well!
From Wikipedia :

Flagler County is a county on the east coast of the U.S. state of Florida. Created in 1917 from portions of Saint Johns and Volusia counties, it was named for Henry Morrison Flagler, who built the Florida East Coast Railway. Bunnell is the county seat of Flagler County.

One can also see the beautiful hotels he built in St. Augustine as well.

PS: Go try to find a "Confederate" memorial or statue in most of the state of Florida. It's mostly in the panhandle region or the northern parts of the state.

St Cloud, FL Confederate memorial:
http://www.civilwaralbum.com/misc20/2012b/1stcloud4.jpg

Hillsborough County Confederate memorial:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...y,_Florida.jpg
http://spofga.org/flag/2009/jan/images/sign.jpg

Tampa, FL:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5dgd3cgD6x...ckimage005.jpg

Miami, FL Confederate memorial:
City Of Miami Cemetery | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Confederate Memorial Day, 2013 Archer, FL:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...88628722483486

Don't forget Confederate Park in Jacksonville, by the way. Or Olustee Battlefield State Park.

Confederate sites in Florida run from Jacksonville to Key West:
Florida Civil War Sites Run from Jacksonville to Key West - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 12-31-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
While I do think it's true that (unfortunately) Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are somewhat headed towards regional ambiguity, I don't think it will happen until decades from now. Each of these metros still have large swaths of areas that are overwhelmingly southern and mostly untouched by transplants (except for Katrina evacuees).
You can the same for Miami and the rest of South Florida. Visit Miami Gardens, Davie, Opa locka, parts of Broward like lauderhill and thy scream Southern. I can name dozens more.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:26 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,798,386 times
Quote:
You can the same for Miami and the rest of South Florida. Visit Miami Gardens, Davie, Opa locka, parts of Broward like lauderhill and thy scream Southern. I can name dozens more.
They are definitely southern, but can hardly touch Acres Homes, South Oak Cliff, or Bankhead, which are all more closely tied to Deep South culture.

I've already established that I see Miami as a southern city, but I must concede that its southern footprint is not as expansive or in your face like it is in the other southern big cities.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
They are definitely southern, but can hardly touch Acres Homes, South Oak Cliff, or Bankhead.

I've already established that I see Miami as a southern city, but I must concede that its southern footprint is not as expansive or in your face like it is in the other southern big cities.
I do not agree that Miami Gardens cannot touch those places when it comes to a Southern feel. Especially around NW 207 and 37 or even off NW 199. I do believe that Miami doesn't smack you in the face with Southern culture as Houston and especially Atlanta. Dallas though? It's closer than you think.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:42 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It is culturally northeastern. It's full of Yankee culture. South Florida is way too rich, educated and liberal to be the South.
That is the biggest load of BS I have ever heard.

Not only are you wrong about Florida, you are evidently quite ignorant of the entire south.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:08 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,626,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It is culturally northeastern. It's full of Yankee culture. South Florida is way too rich, educated and liberal to be the South.
Most South Floridians are not that rich, educated, or liberal. You know what the public education system is like in Florida? Miami-Dade public schools are a joke....give me a break. "liberal"? Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of Cuban-Americans that elected the far right wing Marco Rubio to office.....give me a break lol....Florida is more than South Beach bro.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
^ so influential was Henry Flagler to our state they even have a county named for him in the northern part of the state as well!
From Wikipedia :

Flagler County is a county on the east coast of the U.S. state of Florida. Created in 1917 from portions of Saint Johns and Volusia counties, it was named for Henry Morrison Flagler, who built the Florida East Coast Railway. Bunnell is the county seat of Flagler County.

One can also see the beautiful hotels he built in St. Augustine as well.

PS: Go try to find a "Confederate" memorial or statue in most of the state of Florida. It's mostly in the panhandle region or the northern parts of the state.
How about this huge confederate flag raised at the intersection of I-75 and I-4 in the heart of Hillsborough County (TAMPA).

Huge Confederate flag is raised early along I-75 and I-4 | Tampa Bay Times

I remember a few angry transplants, including myself, were mad and wanted to get it taken down. The transplants were told it was the site of a Confederate Civil War Memorial and that if we didn't like it move back "Up North", this the South....BOI! Its still there today and there is a crap load of New York transplants in Tampa, but not enough to overwhelm the Rebel sympathizing residents who believe it was their "tradition". Also Rednecks riding big wheels with Confederate flags in their windows can be seen in pretty much any major metro in Florida, including Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-Palm Beach.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Well that's why I said borrowed time the way the demographics are changing in Houston and Dallas and regarding Dallas, I wasn't thinking of just Californians.
He still fails to mention that not all Floridian transplants are from the East Coast, a large number are from other parts of the South like Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, Mississippi etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or