Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 08:29 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I do not agree that Miami Gardens cannot touch those places when it comes to a Southern feel. Especially around NW 207 and 37 or even off NW 199. I do believe that Miami doesn't smack you in the face with Southern culture as Houston and especially Atlanta. Dallas though? It's closer than you think.
I call Tampa "Baby Houston" and Jacksonville "Baby Atlanta" lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 08:35 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I call Tampa "Baby Houston" and Jacksonville "Baby Atlanta" lol
Houston has Southern culture, but said southern culture is more of a "Texan-style" culture more in line with Austin and Dallas, than with Atlanta and Jacksonville. But, the Southern/Texan culture in Houston also is mixed in with some Creole/Cajun culture of South Louisiana, the "Tex-Mex" culture found in Corpus Christi and the Rio Grande Valley, and the culture of Tampa.

However, Houston also has its distinct culture as an advanced, international, "futuristic space city" that was the conscience of the NASA space program.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:46 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
I do believe that Miami doesn't smack you in the face with Southern culture as Houston and especially Atlanta. Dallas though? It's closer than you think.
Agree to disagree.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:55 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Houston has Southern culture, but said southern culture is more of a "Texan-style" culture more in line with Austin and Dallas, than with Atlanta and Jacksonville. But, the Southern/Texan culture in Houston also is mixed in with some Creole/Cajun culture of South Louisiana, the "Tex-Mex" culture found in Corpus Christi and the Rio Grande Valley, and the culture of Tampa.

However, Houston also has its distinct culture as an advanced, international, "futuristic space city" that was the conscience of the NASA space program.
I feel like Tampa and Houston share a similar Gulf Coast undertone that triggers that association. A lot of the new construction also looks similar. Every other similarity is rather superficial. Houston is definitely Texan to the core.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:05 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post

Barely. Houston is Gulf Coast Southern first and foremost, and all "Texanisms" come second, in my opinion. I'm sure you'll disagree, but I'm done debating with people who aren't even from here about the culture of my own hometown.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:06 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:
That makes zero sense. Especially regarding North Carolina.
It makes zero sense to argue against the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Eh he's just gonna keep trolling like usual, spouting nonsense and shouting about Maryland haters.

I'm going to let this one be from here out.
But you are a Maryland Hater that denies the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State.......

Old 12-31-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Delaware is a mid-Atlantic state not a Southern state.
BS to that opinion......

Old 12-31-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Since transplants are your exclusive definition, let's go ahead and make southern/central Ohio, Detroit, Indiana, southern Illinois, Pittsburgh, and the southern tier of New York part of the south? They have a lot of transplanted southerners in them. Must be Dixie!
Its above the Mason/Dixon line so it can't qualify as Southern...........

Old 12-31-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
So what region would South Florida be in? The Mid-Atlantic/Northeast? That makes no sense.

I don't remember seeing queen palm trees and pastel everywhere in NYC. South Florida is a unique entity within Florida, and Florida is in the South.
Too much thinking in the above statement instead of using logic.

South Florida can be classified as the Caribbean due to the high Caribbean population and Culture similar to Guyana being part of the Caribbean even though it is in Northern South America......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.