U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 10:38 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,851,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Miami may not have existed, but Dade County definitely did.
Yes it did exist!

At the time of its creation, Dade County included the land that now contains Palm Beach and Broward counties, together with the Florida Keys from Bahia Honda Key

Quite a large county at the time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 10:43 PM

211 posts, read 435,262 times
I would have to go with Florida being the least Southern state.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:21 PM

12,700 posts, read 10,548,522 times
Florida.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:41 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,753,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I dislike people constantly saying Florida is mostly transplants.

It's like saying New York is all urban.

The major cities of south Florida have a lot of transplanted residents. But did you know *gasp* that Florida is more than Miami, Orlando and tourist traps!? GEE WHIZ!

There's a whole lotta country side and small townage in that there "Florduh". And I dare say Tallahassee and Pensacola do not feel like the north, no sir.

What's that? You say you only exclude southern Florida? Well while we're at it why don't we go ahead and wipe, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Nashville, Charlotte, Atlanta, Savannah, Houston, Dallas, North Virginia, and the Ohio river valley of Kentucky out of the south? They have a lot of transplants! Must not be the south anymore.

And hey! Since transplants are your exclusive definition, let's go ahead and make southern/central Ohio, Detroit, Indiana, southern Illinois, Pittsburgh, and the southern tier of New York part of the south? They have a lot of transplanted southerners in them. Must be Dixie!
Re-posting because apparently people still need some enlightenment.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:10 AM

28,308 posts, read 26,314,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Hispanics

-The DC area's Hispanics come largely from Central America. They're a bit geographically removed from most of the black population, which means you don't see the same relationship between, say, Guatemalans and blacks as you do between Puerto Ricans/Dominicans and blacks throughout most of the Northeast.

-Puerto Ricans are the dominant Hispanic culture in the Northeast. In the cities, Puerto Rican culture has been blended to a great extent with ethnic white culture as well as black culture. Angel Garcia is a good example of the blending of Hispanic/ethnic white culture/attitude/dialect.Angie Martinez, the famous NYC radio personality, is a good example of the latter (notice how Angie drops the "N" bomb at the 1:20 mark).
Fun Demographic Facts: The City of Philadelphia (not the MSA or CSA) has more Puerto Ricans than the states of Maryland and Virginia combined.

Boston (not the MSA or CSA) has more Dominicans than the states of Maryland and Virginia combined.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,828,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Yep, in your opinion.
Yes. An opinion that is far more informed than yours.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:27 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,151,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Now you're really reaching. The DC region has no Italian identity at all. There's no DC area equivalent of South Philly or Bensonhurst. The Italian "community" in DC is about as non-existent as white kids in DC speaking with Baltimore accents.
I didn't say there was an Italian community. I said I wonder where the Italians who hang out by the Italian store go to church. Those guys are probably New Jersey or New York transplants or something.

I also already clarified what I meant with the accent. I said mild Baltimore accent. It could better be described as a Maryland accent (or is that Merlin?). Do you think there aren't White kids in DC speaking with Maryland accents?

Anyway, I'm going to retire this argument. I'm tired of the strawmen.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:35 AM

655 posts, read 792,286 times
Florida is the least culturally Southern, but it depends on where you are in FL. In general, the further north you go in FL, the further south you are. Allow me to explain. In in the northern part of Florida ranging from Pensacola to Jacksonville, the residents are mostly natives, or from other places in the South (e.g., southern AL, southern GA). These people are pleasant enough. Granted, there are Northerners--mostly retirees from New York, New Jersey, and parts of New England--but there aren't a plethora of them, although that is changing. (More retirees are heading to north FL these days because south FL is getting too crowded and too expensive.)

As you head into central FL (Ocala and south into Orlando), you'll find more Northerners, and more Northerners of all ages, than in north FL. The area becomes more built up, more densely populated, especially around Orlando and Tampa, and in certain areas, almost becomes sort of like a mini New York or Long Island. It's more culturally Northern in this part of FL, but you'll still find a strong Southern influence, particularly in the rural areas and small towns. There is a lot of tourism and tourists here as well (Disney Land, etc.), so that further mitigates the traditional Southern culture of the region.

As you head further south, down into Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade County, there is very little Southern influence on the culture. Some people call this area "the South Bronx" due to the sheer number of New York City transplants. There are also a huge number of people from Long Island, particularly in Palm Beach and Broward County. Many are retirees, but the transplants are of all ages. (I expect the retirees head to south FL for the year-round warm weather. Central FL is warm, but not as warm, while north FL can get a bit chilly in January and February. Generally speaking, retirees from the Northeast hate cold weather.) Some of my very own relatives migrated to south FL from Long Island. You will meet people who were born in the region (south FL), and whose parents and grandparents were born there as well, but there really isn't anything Southern about them.

I lived in south FL for a few years when I was in college and after. I then moved to north FL, to Jacksonville. The two cultures could not have been more different--that is, north FL is very southern, while south FL doesn't have a single southern thing about it. South FL is truly an extension of New York City or Long Island. North FL, conversely, is very similar in culture to south GA.

Last edited by The King of Um; 01-01-2014 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 11:57 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,543,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
Florida is the least culturally Southern, but it depends on where you are in FL. In general, the further north you go in FL, the further south you are. Allow me to explain. In in the northern part of Florida ranging from Pensacola to Jacksonville, the residents are mostly natives, or from other places in the South (e.g., southern AL, southern GA). These people are pleasant enough. Granted, there are Northerners--mostly retirees from New York, New Jersey, and parts of New England--but there aren't a plethora of them, although that is changing. (More retirees are heading to north FL these days because south FL is getting too crowded and too expensive.)

As you head into central FL (Ocala and south into Orlando), you'll find more Northerners, and more Northerners of all ages, than in north FL. The area becomes more built up, more densely populated, especially around Orlando and Tampa, and in certain areas, almost becomes sort of like a mini New York or Long Island. It's more culturally Northern in this part of FL, but you'll still find a strong Southern influence, particularly in the rural areas and small towns. There is a lot of tourism and tourists here as well (Disney Land, etc.), so that further mitigates the traditional Southern culture of the region.

As you head further south, down into Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade County, there is very little Southern influence on the culture. Some people call this area "the South Bronx" due to the sheer number of New York City transplants. There are also a huge number of people from Long Island, particularly in Palm Beach and Broward County. Many are retirees, but the transplants are of all ages. (I expect the retirees head to south FL for the year-round warm weather. Central FL is warm, but not as warm, while north FL can get a bit chilly in January and February. Generally speaking, retirees from the Northeast hate cold weather.) Some of my very own relatives migrated to south FL from Long Island. You will meet people who were born in the region (south FL), and whose parents and grandparents were born there as well, but there really isn't anything Southern about them.

I lived in south FL for a few years when I was in college and after. I then moved to north FL, to Jacksonville. The two cultures could not have been different--that is, north FL is very southern, while south FL doesn't have a single southern thing about it. South FL is truly an extension of New York City or Long Island. North FL, conversely, is very similar in culture to south GA.
I can tell this is coming from a White perspective. Because the Black Population in South Florida is very Southern and the Caribbean immigrants assimilate to the Southern Black culture.

Seriously, Rappers like Trick Daddy, Rick Ross, Plies, are Southern and speak in Southern accents, along with the athletes who come from South Florida, and there are many of them in South Florida. The Miami area is 21% Black. And the majority of those Blacks are of Southern heritage who come from Georgia, and South Carolina.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:28 PM

320 posts, read 475,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I can tell this is coming from a White perspective. Because the Black Population in South Florida is very Southern and the Caribbean immigrants assimilate to the Southern Black culture.

Seriously, Rappers like Trick Daddy, Rick Ross, Plies, are Southern and speak in Southern accents, along with the athletes who come from South Florida, and there are many of them in South Florida. The Miami area is 21% Black. And the majority of those Blacks are of Southern heritage who come from Georgia, and South Carolina.
LOL. Don't forgot the Donks. Can't go anywhere in the South without seeing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or