U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-03-2014, 06:46 PM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,807,501 times
Reputation: 357

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I was being facetious.
Resorting to being a smart a-- reduces your credibility in your opinionated commentary.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2014, 07:35 AM
 
Location: The High Plains
525 posts, read 433,961 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Wow Your right it does make sense. And after reviewing your little Smart A-- Commentary it definitely shows that you are a bitter lonely country kid that continues to hold on to the CONfederate Flag and Blames Maryland for the South losing the Civil War. I know it urks you that people outside of the southern states do not respect you but with your discriminating attitude its no surprise why they would not want to be associated with narrow mindedness. I get it, you people will never get over the Fact that the South lost the war and in some way or form of get back is for some of you people to take out your cold blooded bitterness on the state of Maryland by trying poorly to segregate the state from Virginia and North Carolina. No matter how much you people Hate the State of Maryland it will not ever erase the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State.......
I'm from Phoenix originally and I live in Nebraska now...I don't care about the south and I don't care about maryland's classification...whether it's southern or not. I have the opportunity to travel for work and I've been through the southeast and Maryland quite a bit...and not just Baltimore. My company has regional offices in Cumberland and Baltimore and I've had the opportunity to travel between both locations and to the coast...I've enjoyed my time there a lot. As I've said in previous posts I really love Maryland and I'd enjoy retiring there...but I just don't see a cultural resemblance to the rest of the Southeast. And I don't think that you do either. You wouldn't have to be a "warrior" for Maryland's supposed southernness if it were more commonly considered a southern state. I don't have to get on here and argue that my current home state of Nebraska is in the Midwest. I don't have to argue that my birth state of Arizona is in the Southwest. I don't argue these ponts because they are irrelevant to anything...who cares where or how they're classified? If people all of a sudden said that Arizona is in the south because of its confederate history I wouldn't care....because it's irrelevant...

If it makes you happy to consider yourself a southerner because you've convinced yourself that it is in the south..that's great...enjoy Dixie my friend.

I'm going to keep enjoying the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 09:04 AM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,807,303 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
If you say so.
Do you care to discredit that statement? Why don't you share with everyone else here just how long you've been living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 09:13 AM
 
774 posts, read 1,697,022 times
Reputation: 681
From personal experience, whenever I encounter a person from states like Maryland, Kentucky, and the topic of Southern or not comes up, the person generally always wanted to be considered a Southerner. When I asked why they wanted to identify with the South, the person's reply was because of the South's reputation for friendliness and the laid back lifestyle. One gentleman told me his father was from Maryland and would knock any person down who called him a Yankee. This was many years ago, then I come to this forum, and I see that some Marylanders argue they are Northeastern and some Kentuckians align themselves with the Midwest. There are even native Floridians who don't consider themselves Southerners. These are usually younger generation, from bigger metros in Central and South Florida, and whose parents came from outside the South.

That being said, it is undoutable that Maryland was part of the Old South. In fact, Washington, DC became the capital due to part of a compromise that the capital would be in the South. Florida joined the Union later on and from then on, Maryland is about 2/3 up the East Coast, making it more Northeastern in geographical location on the map of the Lower 48. Culturally, there are Southern influences, but I agree with the previous poster that some people are getting too hung up on whether they are considered a Northerner, Southerner, or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2014, 12:01 PM
 
Location: New Haven, CT
212 posts, read 352,105 times
Reputation: 127
I would say Delaware, although southern Delaware is pretty southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2014, 12:04 PM
 
Location: New Haven, CT
212 posts, read 352,105 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
You know what? EVERYTHING IS SOUTHERN NOW! We're ALL Dixie! Now everybody is happy.
Dude. Maryland is a southern state. Get over it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2014, 12:41 PM
 
774 posts, read 1,697,022 times
Reputation: 681
I agree with a previous poster, since most people want to be Southerners the whole United States is now the South!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2014, 05:12 AM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,101 posts, read 4,739,224 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I agree with a previous poster, since most people want to be Southerners the whole United States is now the South!
Why not? Some people fly the confederate flag even in New England!

People in the Midwest and Pennsylvania have convinced themselves they are southern.

Maryland and Delaware are southern by the census.

Let's just all be the south! Dixie was the true victor after all! Welcome to Murrica, a country located entirely in the northern hemisphere obsessed with being southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2014, 03:15 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,711,457 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Why not? Some people fly the confederate flag even in New England!

People in the Midwest and Pennsylvania have convinced themselves they are southern.

Maryland and Delaware are southern by the census.

Let's just all be the south! Dixie was the true victor after all! Welcome to Murrica, a country located entirely in the northern hemisphere obsessed with being southern.


That right there is funny, CookieSoon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2014, 03:34 PM
 
781 posts, read 1,095,099 times
Reputation: 609
True victor?? Mind explaining lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top